Dealer Nav Install Story....

ALL....sorry TITLE is wrong..should say "Dealer XM Story..." Sorry!!

Recently I've looked into putting XM into my 06 IS350. From all you great folks, I found I can get the unit for about $270 (Sewell). The accompanying Lexus installation directions seems right, and from all the posts I expect about 2 hours of work. So I went to my local dealer is see what they would charge....I got a number of $998!!!! Some Manager dude told me that they have to run a wire harness all the way from the trunk to the head unit.

So, I went back today armed w/all the material from this site and asked the Service Manger "what's the story"? To say the least he was dumbstruck and told me the other guy "was misinformed". He's supposed to call me back w/a more realistic estimate.

I can't wait to go back tonight and have a little conversation w/the dealership GM. I haven't had a dealership try to fleece me like this since I was a kid!!

Hence the reason they are referred to time and time again in these threads as "Stealerships"!!! I just received a quote from mine on the new F-Sport cold air intake for my '06 IS 350 - $542 installed. That's highway robbery!!!

Hence the reason they are referred to time and time again in these threads as "Stealerships"!!! I just received a quote from mine on the new F-Sport cold air intake for my '06 IS 350 - $542 installed. That's highway robbery!!!

The price for the intake alone from Sewell is around $390 isn't it?

ALL....sorry TITLE is wrong..should say "Dealer XM Story..." Sorry!!

Recently I've looked into putting XM into my 06 IS350. From all you great folks, I found I can get the unit for about $270 (Sewell). The accompanying Lexus installation directions seems right, and from all the posts I expect about 2 hours of work. So I went to my local dealer is see what they would charge....I got a number of $998!!!! Some Manager dude told me that they have to run a wire harness all the way from the trunk to the head unit.

So, I went back today armed w/all the material from this site and asked the Service Manger "what's the story"? To say the least he was dumbstruck and told me the other guy "was misinformed". He's supposed to call me back w/a more realistic estimate.

I can't wait to go back tonight and have a little conversation w/the dealership GM. I haven't had a dealership try to fleece me like this since I was a kid!!

XM install is all done through the trunk. Its one of the easier installs. Does the unit through Sewell come with an antenna? The 2006 models didn't have the sharkfin so an external antenna was part of the kit. The 2006 factory kits are no longer available, but the 2007 kit will work, but a seperate external antenna must be purchased.

So...want to hear the end of the story?

Went today to pickup my car for my 10k service. Service manager came over to me and told me he would sell me the XM unit and install for $480. Far cry from close to a grand, and a lot more reasonable. Pays to do your homework.