Transmission- Do You Feel Each Shift Change?

bernies555

I just traded my 2002 LS(5 speed trans.) for a 2005 LS (6 speed Trans.) & notice a definite difference. Where as the 2002 shifting was silky smooth,you seem to notice & feel almost every shift change. The dealer claims the tranmission can be reprogramed to my style of driving which they claim will take care of the problem. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Thanks, Bernie

I just traded my 2002 LS(5 speed trans.) for a 2005 LS (6 speed Trans.) & notice a definite difference. Where as the 2002 shifting was silky smooth,you seem to notice & feel almost every shift change. The dealer claims the tranmission can be reprogramed to my style of driving which they claim will take care of the problem. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Thanks, Bernie

weird..maybe "re-learn" your driving but tailered to you...ummm

Thanks, Bernie

I agree with you on that one. The previous owner probably drove it really hard so its shift patterns are still aggressive. Could just a simple disconnecting the battery for a few mins reset this shifting logic of the tranny?

Thanks, Bernie

I agree with you on that one. The previous owner probably drove it really hard so its shift patterns are still aggressive. Could just a simple disconnecting the battery for a few mins reset this shifting logic of the tranny?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will discuss them with the dealer on Thurs.

Bernie

That is strange, but the re-programming makes sense. I wonder what all years this "program change" covers, or what year did it start? My 1991 LS400 has a very smooth shifting transmission, as it was on my old 1990 LS400.

My 2000 Toyota Tundra was a different story - under moderate acceleration, it had a harsh shift from 2nd-3rd. Under certain conditions, it would shift so hard it would shudder. :o All other gears were smooth as silk. I was told the tranny on it was reprogrammable, but I never did it. Dealer checked it and said it was fine.

I sold it, because I had heard that the 2000-2002 Tundras were well known for automatic transmission issues.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Bernie

Hey! I have an 05 ls too and i have the same issue. The tranny just doesnt shift as smooth as other LS's i Drove. Did unplugging Your battery help with the shift smoothness???

I rented a 2010 Camry LE last weekend... it had 6800 miles. Tranny was terrible. It would shift smooth, but once in 2nd, it would almost instantly also shift into 3rd, back into 2nd again. Hunted for gears and it was very annoying. I bet where its a rental car and it was mostly highway miles it had programmed itself for those weird shifts. I used its manual shift feature once when in town and it shifted fine then.