Business Is Booming!

So i think i know enough to get started. I started my seasonal business detailing cars last friday, and i have to say its turned out well.

Here are my prices:

Small Car (civic, Corolla, etc...)

Inside & Out package: $50

-Hand Wash, Hand Wax (flat surfases done with orbital) Tire Shine, Vaccum and Shampoo interior if needed, Glass cleaner, engine bay, Leather treatment (if applicable) and dash and trim shine.

Inside and out+Claybar: $100

Large Car (anything larger than a Camry/Taurus)

Inside and Out: $75

Inside and Out+Claybar: $125

(includes same as for small car.)

Trucks and SUV's:

Inside and out Package: $100

Inside and Out+Claybar: $150

Rubbing/Polishing compound + $20/hr to any package

Extreme Paint Restoration quoted on case by case basis

I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE KNOWN THAT I AM NOT SOLICITING BUSINESS FROM LOC, im posting my prices to find out from detailing pros if these are reasonable or need adjusted.

So far, I have done a only a few cars as a "Semi Pro" but if business gets too good, i will have to get Insurance...just in case.

Some of the cars i have done include:

My 2006 Civic EX (duh)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe (Slate Blue)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe (Navy Blue)

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (White and Gold)

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 (Black)

1998 Buick Century

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage..I did it for free cause it was my buddy's Hoopdee and i wanted to see if i could restore it...i actually fared pretty well. Ill post a pic of it half and half.

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade (black)

I only use meguairs products, with the exception of things like rubbing and polishing compounds and things like this, so to start i can get them at walmart, ill begin ordering them from a supplier in the spring of 09. I wont use anything else, I love Meguairs.

So LOC, do you think my prices are reasonable? I did a Black Chevy Tahoe and that was the hardest detail i have ever done, i hate solid black cars...

ANy suggestions?

Ok here is the Mitsu Mirage, its a hoopdie, so i didnt charge anything, i just wanted to see if i could do it. Its the guy's run around the base car. he is out of town right now and he left the car with us. it runs good though, and has 229,000 miles without a problem.

I think you can tell the half that was done, this was after Meguiars Claybar, Scratch-X, and ColorX, but before any wax.

DSC005541.JPG

After Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax:

DSC00555.JPG

and here is the 04 Jeep Liberty Renegade:

DSC00554.JPG

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00560.JPG

DSC00562.JPG

Not much to say about the jeep except that it looked like any other black paintjob that had not been taken care of for the last few years. It was pretty bad. I charged him $100, and yes, i had to clay, but he didnt want the inside done, so i had to adjust price accordingly.

As someone who used to have a detailing business I have some advice:

1. Don't get brand loyal with products. Meguiars products are not professional products, they're too expensive. Its a business, you need to use good products but other manufacturers make as good or better (emphasis on the better) products for less.

2. I always tried to price myself out at $50 an hour. So if something costs $50, it needs to be done in an hour. Can you get the Inside and Out done in an hour?

3. Ever thought of a straight wash and interior vacuum? $25-$30, takes 30 minutes. This is the staple of any detailing business and this is where you can build customer relationships, create ongoing business, and upsell higher cost services. If you can get 4 people to agree to a weekly wash at $25 a peice, thats $400 a month guaranteed with upselling and referrals from there.

4. Compounding. Do you have access to an orbital or rotary polisher? If so $20 an hour is too cheap. $50 an hour remember ;) If you're just working by hand, $30 an hour.

Of course, pricing depends on your local market

Looks like you're on your way! You'll be making an extra $500-$1000 a month in no time!

If I had the time I'd still take some detailing clients from time to time...

As someone who used to have a detailing business I have some advice:

1. Don't get brand loyal with products. Meguiars products are not professional products, they're too expensive. Its a business, you need to use good products but other manufacturers make as good or better (emphasis on the better) products for less.

2. I always tried to price myself out at $50 an hour. So if something costs $50, it needs to be done in an hour. Can you get the Inside and Out done in an hour?

3. Ever thought of a straight wash and interior vacuum? $25-$30, takes 30 minutes. This is the staple of any detailing business and this is where you can build customer relationships, create ongoing business, and upsell higher cost services. If you can get 4 people to agree to a weekly wash at $25 a peice, thats $400 a month guaranteed with upselling and referrals from there.

4. Compounding. Do you have access to an orbital or rotary polisher? If so $20 an hour is too cheap. $50 an hour remember ;) If you're just working by hand, $30 an hour.

Of course, pricing depends on your local market

Looks like you're on your way! You'll be making an extra $500-$1000 a month in no time!

If I had the time I'd still take some detailing clients from time to time...

yes i have access to an orbital, its in my garage right now. thanks for the advice SW, i will take this into consideration

I wish I lived closer to you Josh.....I'd be a regular customer! :) Best of luck bud with the detailing business....it's a lot of work, but you sound like you enjoy it & that's what matters. B)

:cheers:

HOOAAH Army of One! Looks like you are on your way. How is Ft. Drum, NY? Haven't been there in a while! You got some of my M88A2 recovery vehicles up there!

yeah, i have fixed a few of them. piles of junk they are. :( too bad too cause when they work they are frickin cool machines...they wobble like a weevil but they dont fall down! :lol:

HOOAAH Army of One! Looks like you are on your way. How is Ft. Drum, NY? Haven't been there in a while! You got some of my M88A2 recovery vehicles up there!

yeah, i have fixed a few of them. piles of junk they are. :( too bad too cause when they work they are frickin cool machines...they wobble like a weevil but they dont fall down! :lol:

Hey ArmyofOne, you sure you are talking about M88A1s or M88A2s.....the older ones are A1s and the newer ones A2s. Maybe I can help, I will send you a PM and we can talk about it. HOOAAH

I would charge more. A good thing to do would be to break vehicles down into 5 or 6 categories based on size and make a price specifically for that vehicle so that you get paid for the work that you do.

I know that you have an orbital, but is a PC? Buy one of those and it will quickly pay for itself. An orange pad and meguiar's cleaner wax makes a lot of people very happy. Quicker than a hand wax also.

I currently charge $110 for a mini cooper/honda fit sized vehicle. That is for the full interior (with bissel little green clean machine) and an outside clay, all in one (like poliseal) and trim dressing.

How are you getting all of the business? I was suprised when I read the thread title because it has been like a desert for me since I started. Good luck and great job on the cars!

I would charge more. A good thing to do would be to break vehicles down into 5 or 6 categories based on size and make a price specifically for that vehicle so that you get paid for the work that you do.

I know that you have an orbital, but is a PC? Buy one of those and it will quickly pay for itself. An orange pad and meguiar's cleaner wax makes a lot of people very happy. Quicker than a hand wax also.

I currently charge $110 for a mini cooper/honda fit sized vehicle. That is for the full interior (with bissel little green clean machine) and an outside clay, all in one (like poliseal) and trim dressing.

How are you getting all of the business? I was suprised when I read the thread title because it has been like a desert for me since I started. Good luck and great job on the cars!

no it is not a PC, i wish it was. LOL. i cant fint them anywhere around here. maybe online?

people seem to be very happy with my work as is, and my prices. i am on an army post as i said, and all the single soldiers want their cars clean so they can impress the ladies :) i capitalize on that...is that bad? :huh:

Hey Army of one. Good luck and hope your biz is booming. One suggestion, instead of a Porter Cable- A flex is more $$$ but a much better orbiter from all the posts i read on it versus porter cable.

"FLEX___might wanna consider the Flex ROB ... twice the orbits of the PC and still much safer than the rotary. Its really useful ! Flex flex xc3401 "

So a lot of stuff on how it is better.

Another good u tube vid showing flex vs porter cable - quieter and about half time to get out swirls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1uHJLNlQ...feature=related

Good luck.