Bulb warning light comes on intermittently

muragrove

My 92 LS400 has a bulb warning light that comes on a couple of times a week for a few minutes then goes off. The dealer said that this sensor measures lamp current and it probably means I have a bad connection. I've checked all the exterior lights that I can think of and they all work every time I look at them. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you find the bad bulb?

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Experiencing that with my SC300. Since all of your rear lights are active, I believe it might be ground wire issue. I can't help you solve it yet since I don't know where it is, but hopefully soon.

This will shed some light on the subject

• 1 month later...

See this alot first try pounding (but not to hard) on back lights to make sure you don't have a layed down filiment on one of the lights that might be bad if they dont blink out on you then check you lamp failure sensor in LH side of rear trunk (little sqare box behind trim) will say lamp failure sensor on it and has a plug in directly in the middle of it. The plug comes out farially easy and the back of the sensor slides off. Check for a burn spot on the circuit board if its okay I have seen in rare cases ((3 or 4 memory slipping)) that replacement bulbs for tail lights(the cheap ones) can wack the system into thinking it has a bulb out. also if you live in a cold state we see sockets on outside tail lights rust sometimes good luck

• 8 months later...

I had this problem in my 94 LS. Dealer said it was due to a bulb pin losing contact when I ran over a bump. They said when it made contact again the bulb would work, but the warning light would stay on until the ignition was turned off. They could not isolate the bulb and recommended I change them all at $18 per bulb. There is about 16 or so back there. I had them send a mechanic out to show me how to change them, went to parts store and bought 2 packs of the long lasting bulbs for about $2 a pack. Changed all but the license plate bulbs. This solved the problem. I kept the car about another year with no reoccurance, then upgraded to a 98 LS.