Off Topic....

92ls forhundo

hey guys, im not meaning to kiss up or anything, but automotively(sp?), i trust no others more than the the braintrust here....

my sister last night bought a 2000 volvo s80, 2.8 which i think is the twin turbo, compared to my 92 ls400, it is a definite creature comfort upgrade, although now i really want to pick a 2000 ls just to prove to her that lexus is king...

any way, she got it with 100,000 on the clock for 5 grand, not bad, i drove it last night, and it is not a bad car at all, although i stll like the s 60 better for some reason...its got some good power the seats and seat heaters are divine,and that volvo climate control with the body zones is cool, but fear not, after driving that for a good 45 minutes last night, and then driving my ls this morning to work, i would say that the 300,000 mile lexus is every bit as quick still,and way smoother in acceleration....

my question is does any one here have experiance with these cars? anything to know of or be aware of? the only only thing i could detect was that her little information window/volvo thingie does not work at all, may go to explaining the price...thanks in advance.

signed, still unswayed by volvos 8 year old flagship.

Volvo's are pretty solid cars overall......I personally am not a fan of the styling nor the fact that they are under the Ford umbrella.....but that's just a personaly opinion. I'll take the Lexus flagship over the Volvo one anyday. Here is a pretty good used vehicle write up on the S80...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/99-03volvo_s80.htm

:cheers:

Volvo's are pretty solid cars overall......I personally am not a fan of the styling nor the fact that they are under the Ford umbrella.....but that's just a personaly opinion. I'll take the Lexus flagship over the Volvo one anyday. Here is a pretty good used vehicle write up on the S80...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/99-03volvo_s80.htm

:cheers:

thanks, and i totally agree, especially about ford, although the one thing that has done for mazda, jaguar and volvo, is allowed ford to get their hands on some real technology and also serve as a a sugar daddy for these companies...

i was assuming that some l.s. driver has a real estate agent for a wife who has a volvo...i do like them, like i said their seats are great and the hvac controls very logical...but ill still take my 300,000 mile ,16-year old ls, me thinks :D

ummm to whoever moved this, i specifically wanted it in the ls forum, thats why i put it there....

too much micro managing, and if it dies it dies, but i wanted the ls peeps opinions if there are any.

I didn't move this, but I would have had I seen it. Sorry, but the forum layout is designed the way its designed for a reason. Offtopic posts belong in here, not in the model specific forums. Without this "micro managing" you wouldn't want to post here, trust me.

Volvo has been making some really good sedans lately, I know a couple people with S80s of that era and they're all quite pleased with them.

Its no Lexus...although the new one is really nice...

I have a uncle that is a Volvo man all the way- he has a 1997 Lincoln Town Car now, but his wife always has a nice Volvo. When I was considering a 1999 S80, he warned against it. He has a very good Volvo mechanic and while these cars look good, I think the electrical systems are supposed to be terrible. I think the 2000+ models are supposed to be better, so you should be OK.

My uncles neighbor bought a brand new 2002 S80 and they were happy with it... they still have it as a 2nd car, but they went back to a BMW as a first car and bought a 2007 7-Series. WOW that is a nice car!

Hope all goes well!

Steve is right and oh, dont worry about this not being in the LS forum... most of the people visit here too. You may even get more info here, because this is where people come to read about "other" cars.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a uncle that is a Volvo man all the way- he has a 1997 Lincoln Town Car now, but his wife always has a nice Volvo. When I was considering a 1999 S80, he warned against it. He has a very good Volvo mechanic and while these cars look good, I think the electrical systems are supposed to be terrible. I think the 2000+ models are supposed to be better, so you should be OK.

My uncles neighbor bought a brand new 2002 S80 and they were happy with it... they still have it as a 2nd car, but they went back to a BMW as a first car and bought a 2007 7-Series. WOW that is a nice car!

Hope all goes well!

Steve is right and oh, dont worry about this not being in the LS forum... most of the people visit here too. You may even get more info here, because this is where people come to read about "other" cars.

thanks huys, sorry about the snarkiness of my reply...yeah i do like those cars and they are fairly sharp....seats are fantastic...the one real thing that is odd is that the little info window is just black, it would be nice to have it working...

i wish the loc braintrust could be bottled and available for other cars...ihave found a couple of volvo forums, and they are sad by comparison...

I've heard of pretty good performances from Volvo owners. Quality-wise, still Lexus is number one. Ford btw has shared the platform of certain vehicles with each other. I'm not sure which ones are which, but I know that the current Volvo S40, Mazda 3 sedan, Ford Focus are all based on the same S40 platform.

My stepmother had a 2000 Volvo S80 Turbo a couple of years ago. It was a decent driving car. They finally had to get rid of it becasue it was plagued with electrical problems. I remember driving it for the first time and getting beeped at with the message "BRAKE FAILURE! PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY!". So i did, called my dad who said the car says crazy things like that all the time. I think after the 3rd time to Volvo (each time costing around $1,000), they finally sold it with under 70k miles on it.

Just my two cents.