Gs 300 Problem With Egr Valve/modulator

Yesterday, the "check engine" light came on in our 1995 Lexus GS 300.

The dealership said that this is what the car needs:

EGR modulator & valve 391.51

Distributor 496.12

They found 2 codes in system code. 12 Dist Malfunction and code 71 EGR valve malfunction. They said the EGR is plugged causing system not to work.

I am a totally repair impaired and not too mechanically inclined.

I also don't want to get ripped off by the dealership....

Is this a common problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve in Wisconsin

Depending on wether the egr is having excessive or insufficent flow i wouldn;t bother with it if it is excessive as this will reduce emissions and save you gas.When mine is stuck open i get 550-600 km a tank when it works normally i barely get 450-500 km a tank.

the distributer is normal for wearing parts,What did they say is wrong with it?

I gotta tell ya, man....they are probably on the money. My gs had 150k miles on it when it first had EGR problems. This is an extensive problem with these engines. Here's what I found. My EGR was working, but I was still getting the trouble code. I pulled the EGR system as well as the intake. The entire EGR system was clogged with buildup! All of the inlets and outlets on the valve itself was completely clogged and had to be drilled out and cleaned thoroughly. The EGR passage in the intake was in the same condition. There is an EGR gas rail in the center of the inside of the intake with one small hole in the bottom. This is where the exhaust gas enters the intake stream. All of these passages must be clear of obstruction in order to eliminate the touble code. But, before you do any of this, pull the cap off of the modulator valve that sits directly about the EGR valve. Pull out the filter and make sure it isn't clogged. If that isn't it, then be prepared to pull the intake and start cleaning by hand. Hope this helps. :(

Matt

Matt Hathcock

Hathcock Kreations

Mhathcock@Hotmail.com

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU'RE FROM BUT YOUR LEXUS DEALERSHIP IS RIPPING YOU OFF BIG TIME BRO. MY EGR VALVE WENT OUT AND IT ONLY COST ME ABOUT 120.00 BUCKS FOR THE STUPID THING. NOW ABOUT THE DISTRIBUTOR, THEY CAN GO TO HELL BECAUSE OUR CARS ARE VERY LOW MAINTENANCE AND I'M SURE THAT THE DIST. WENT OUT. IF THAT'S THE CASE, THEN THAT'S A FIRST BECAUSE I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A DISTRIBUTOR GOING OUT. ANOTHER TIP IS, YOU CAN ALWAYS GO TO TOYOTA AND ASK FOR THE SAME PARTS, IT MAY BE CHEAPER, IT MAY NOT, BUT YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TELL THEM I OWN A "WHAT EVER YEAR YOUR GS300 IS" TOYOTA SUPRA NON-TURBO. REMEMBER THAT THE ENGINE IS IDENTICAL TO THE TOYOTA SUPRA. MY LEXUS AND TOYOTA DEALERSHIP ARE RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER. SO I GET A PRICE QUOTE FROM LEXUS THEN WALK OVER TO TOYOTA TO SEE IF I CAN GET A BETTER DEAL. HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS YOU OUT IN YOUR SEARCH OF PARTS AND STUFF LIKE THAT.

uh....Please take the cap off. About the EGR, the dealer were right about that. There is a way to fix it without replacing the parts. Carbon builb up overtime and cause your EGR to stuck open or close. Take it out and clean it. I hardly see any Lexus distributor go wrong.

www.jpimportz.org