A Race Between Ls430 And 300zx

thatlexusboy

I owned a 79 280z and I can tell you for sure, I used to race and beat V-8 cars of the early to late 80's.... If the guy has a 5 speed, and the car is running ok, the Lexus has no solid chance off the line... and I think a good driver in the Z car pulls out a win. I think the Lexus would come on strong after a few seconds, but it's catch up from there...

As for the Z - Rev the engine, and pop the clutch and the Z car will instantly surge in front of the Lexus with a bit of wheel spin. I used to do this all the time when I was young, racing much more powerful cars than mine. My 79 Z was a quick car, but jumped off the line when poping the clutch. It was more like a launch... The weight of the car was just right to where you wouldn't burn too much rubber and the tires were gripping some during the launch. A pretty strong surge if I remember correctly...

If I didn't peel out in my Z, it was just a quick car and would lose races to V-8's. However, the peel-out is the key -

I owned a 79 280z and I can tell you for sure, I used to race and beat V-8 cars of the early to late 80's.... If the guy has a 5 speed, and the car is running ok, the Lexus has no solid chance off the line... and I think a good driver in the Z car pulls out a win. I think the Lexus would come on strong after a few seconds, but it's catch up from there...

As for the Z - Rev the engine, and pop the clutch and the Z car will instantly surge in front of the Lexus with a bit of wheel spin. I used to do this all the time when I was young, racing much more powerful cars than mine. My 79 Z was a quick car, but jumped off the line when poping the clutch. It was more like a launch... The weight of the car was just right to where you wouldn't burn too much rubber and the tires were gripping some during the launch. A pretty strong surge if I remember correctly...

If I didn't peel out in my Z, it was just a quick car and would lose races to V-8's. However, the peel-out is the key -

LMAO! ........YOUR Z HAD 140 HP AT BEST, i dont know what v-8 u were racing against but it must have been running on 6 cylinders

LMAO! ........YOUR Z HAD 140 HP AT BEST, i dont know what v-8 u were racing against but it must have been running on 6 cylinders

its not always right that more HP means faster in short race. weight plays an important role too. lighter car needs less power to jump.

anyway, its disappointed if LS is taken :)

ummm, my old 76 280 was rated at 170 hp...and like the other guy saidin a short straight line the weight is the issue...

actually i had a friend in high school who had a late eighties camaro rs, with the 305 c.i. v-8, and i beat him all the time in my 3-speed auto 1976 280z....

seriously, so nah nah nah...

My Z had 135 horsepower.. (Python) and, for those who know old Z cars (92lsforhundo), they're light and the straight six really will wind out good. Most roadtesters wouldn't drop the clutch to spin the wheels, so the performance specs look bad on the late 70's z cars. But, this isn't really the case. My car was quick! I also took it over 135 mph once and the car was purring along...

I've never been faster in any other car since.

Ok, the Z would probably lose in a downshift situation... But, this is a race off the line, so the Z could win... I also had a friend who owned a 78 280 Z and his was faster than my 79 (his had 35 more horsepower)... He raced everyone in my high school and he always boasted about beating everyone - the Camaros, Mustang GT's, IROC's, Fierros (yes, I said Fierro) and Porches -

Those were the days - I'd still love to have a 78 280z in good condition - a fun car!