Leaking Windshield!

90LS400Lexus

**Update - leak has STOPPED!

Well, we typically get alot of rain. Two weeks ago, I noticed a wet spot on the front of the passenger front seat, on the seat cover I have installed. I discounted it as something my mother had spilled on the seat the day before. It rained after that a few times and I even washed the car and never noticed any water leaking on the seat... until this morning!

I saw another fresh wet spot on the front right hand side of the front passenger seat! I felt of it and it was water for sure. I looked above the spot and seen NO drips anywhere... everything looked dry. Frustrated, I said heck with it, got back in the driverseat to leave and noticed another drip out of the corner of my eye. I ran my finger up along the top of the windshield between the headliner and top of the windshield and it was wet! SO... I found my leak. Now I have to figure out what to do. I guess all I can do is take it to a glass shop and have the window removed and resealed? I want to get this leak fixed asap, because I do not want to ruin my interior. Its really frustrating because I have been trying to use this extra money I am saving for a coolant sensor, engine mounts and transmission mount... now this happens. Last thing I needed to happen. I do not think the window is original, because the black circular lines on the sides looks misaligned and I do not see "Toyota/Lexus" anywhere on the glass, so obviously they did not reseal it properly. Also, it looks like they had cut part of of the a-pillar trim on the lower part of it. :rolleyes:

Any ideas of how much this will probably cost me? I will call around tomorrow for some estimates. Knowing my luck they will break the glass getting it out. :( Has anyone else ever had the leak in this area? I do not think its the sunroof leaking and overflowing, because the headliner is dry all around that area.... I cannot afford to replace this and that, I am not a wealthy person in the money department (like many here are ;)) and really do not know why I even bought another Lexus, but I bought this car in good faith and was not aware of it needing the engine mounts (and possible tranny mount)- now this happens. Maybe someday I will win the lotto and be able to buy an 08' LS. :) Also, I now think I need new tie-rod ends or ball joints, because I have some play in the steering and on two occasions, on certain bumps, I have got a "clanging" noise from the steering wheel, like something is loose... I assume the above mentioned is due to one of those.

Any advice appreciated. BTW - its a 1991 LS400 (not my old 90' LS in the photo to the left)

My LS still has its original windshield. The glass on Lexus vehicles is made by PPG. I believe I remember reading a post somewhere that getting a new PPG windshield in someone's LS cost around $250.

That figure does not usually include seals around the windshield though. A lot of places mess those up when they replace it. So it is important that you have the work done at a place where you are confident of their abilities.

Don't know if this is of any value to you, but I know the replacement cow-panel (the seal where the windshield wipers are) costs about $90 for my Camry.

Thanks. Well someone on ClubLexus said it could be clogged drains in the sunroof. I washed the car today and sprayed water all over the sunroof and windshield and it never leaked. Dont you love that? :rolleyes:

I got home and opened the sunroof and seen what I think are the drains... does not appear to be obstructed at the openings, but could possibly be clogged in the drain tubes? I wonder what the best way to clean them out is? Weed trimmer line? <_<

Thanks. Well someone on ClubLexus said it could be clogged drains in the sunroof. I washed the car today and sprayed water all over the sunroof and windshield and it never leaked. Dont you love that? :rolleyes:

I got home and opened the sunroof and seen what I think are the drains... does not appear to be obstructed at the openings, but could possibly be clogged in the drain tubes? I wonder what the best way to clean them out is? Weed trimmer line? <_<

Compressed air ;)

Compressed air ;)

I would be careful with compressed air. You do not want to knock one of the tubes loose with the pressure. You may try one of those round, soft wire brushes used to get into small spaces, like under a refrigerator.

Compressed air ;)

I would be careful with compressed air. You do not want to knock one of the tubes loose with the pressure. You may try one of those round, soft wire brushes used to get into small spaces, like under a refrigerator.

Canned air.

Been away for a while and have some catching up to do.

90LS don't despair, remember everything will be better tomorrow!

Coolant sensor I would do, mounts can wait, cosmetics I would just ignore

for now. Have the tie rods and front end checked, probably just need an adjustment.

If they're worn I would replace. Check out your steering column as well

About your leak, I would run some water down the tubes to see if they backup.

No backup, no problem. If this is ocaissional, it's probably due to heavy rain or

big water like in a car wash. Try to park on a level surface if you can.

Chances are the warmer weather is expanding everything and sealing any leaks.

Remember, when you win the lottery, we'll be expecting some pics of a rediculously

grinning face behind the wheel of that shiny new 460 and an invite to the

LOC barbeque you'll be so gracious to host for all of us working stiffs. ;)

I too had a problem with my windshield leaking right above the center of the passenger seat. It only leaks when it’s cold outside, and it only leaked when I was driving in heavy rain at high speeds or when I was at the carwash. I took it to Toyota and they said it was just a crack in the rubber and it was a common problem with cars exposed to such temperature extremes from summer to winter. I'm not sure how much the temperature changes effect you down in Tennessee but age is also a problem with any rubber products. All they suggested to do was to get some black silicone and rub a little along the seam where the rubber meets the glass and the top of the car. I did that and the leak has been gone ever since. If you take your time while doing it, you can’t even see the silicone.

Thanks.. yeah, I am going to take it one step at a time... change the coolant sensor soon, mounts later.

Check the steering column? How do I do that? I was assuming that it was either some slack in the tir-rods or joints causing that. It only did it twice on certain angled bumps. My 2000 Toyota Tundra did the exact same thing, but only more often with my old Tundra and my aunts 2001 Nissan also does it, but much more often! <_<

I washed the car and got back home- seen no leaks... I opened the sunroof and there was no water standing in there. Strange.

If I win that lotto, I will throw the biggest BBQ on this side of the Mississippi! :D

Been away for a while and have some catching up to do.

90LS don't despair, remember everything will be better tomorrow!

Coolant sensor I would do, mounts can wait, cosmetics I would just ignore

for now. Have the tie rods and front end checked, probably just need an adjustment.

If they're worn I would replace. Check out your steering column as well

About your leak, I would run some water down the tubes to see if they backup.

No backup, no problem. If this is ocaissional, it's probably due to heavy rain or

big water like in a car wash. Try to park on a level surface if you can.

Chances are the warmer weather is expanding everything and sealing any leaks.

Remember, when you win the lottery, we'll be expecting some pics of a rediculously

grinning face behind the wheel of that shiny new 460 and an invite to the

LOC barbeque you'll be so gracious to host for all of us working stiffs. ;)

Thanks. Thats exactly where mine has leaked... twice anyway. Well, I do not think this car has been exposed to temperature extremes over its life as much as a North Dakota car. It was a Georgia car from 1991-2007, then Tennessee car from 2007-current. I guess its strange to me because I have never experienced a window leak on a Toyota, or any imported car for that matter- even the older ones. Now my OLD General Motors cars are a different story. I have never owned a 1960s or 1970s GM car that did not have a leaky window somewhere. :P They obviously had horrible seals back then that did not last very long.

I will try that tip with the silicone if the sunroof drains turns out to not be the problems. Did you have to remove the trim around the top of the windshield? If so, how difficult was that to remove? I just do not it to get so bad that water starts standing in my floorboard and rusting the floor out.

I too had a problem with my windshield leaking right above the center of the passenger seat. It only leaks when it’s cold outside, and it only leaked when I was driving in heavy rain at high speeds or when I was at the carwash. I took it to Toyota and they said it was just a crack in the rubber and it was a common problem with cars exposed to such temperature extremes from summer to winter. I'm not sure how much the temperature changes effect you down in Tennessee but age is also a problem with any rubber products. All they suggested to do was to get some black silicone and rub a little along the seam where the rubber meets the glass and the top of the car. I did that and the leak has been gone ever since. If you take your time while doing it, you can’t even see the silicone.

• 3 months later...
Thanks. Thats exactly where mine has leaked... twice anyway. Well, I do not think this car has been exposed to temperature extremes over its life as much as a North Dakota car. It was a Georgia car from 1991-2007, then Tennessee car from 2007-current. I guess its strange to me because I have never experienced a window leak on a Toyota, or any imported car for that matter- even the older ones. Now my OLD General Motors cars are a different story. I have never owned a 1960s or 1970s GM car that did not have a leaky window somewhere. :P They obviously had horrible seals back then that did not last very long.

I will try that tip with the silicone if the sunroof drains turns out to not be the problems. Did you have to remove the trim around the top of the windshield? If so, how difficult was that to remove? I just do not it to get so bad that water starts standing in my floorboard and rusting the floor out.

Did you fix that leaky window/sunroof. I fit mine for $8 buck

I was getting water inside. I felt my headliner fabric and it was damp. So i went to the dollar store bought a Household VACCUM BELT. I cut the belt in half to be thinner and used some watersproff silcone to glue the vaccumm rubber belt where the WORN rubber in my sunroof was allowing water to get in.

been fixed for over 6 moths and no more water inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that tip and I will keep it in mind, but ironically, it never leaked again! Even in driving rains. Go figure. <_<

Thanks again! :)

Did you fix that leaky window/sunroof. I fit mine for $8 buck

I was getting water inside. I felt my headliner fabric and it was damp. So i went to the dollar store bought a Household VACCUM BELT. I cut the belt in half to be thinner and used some watersproff silcone to glue the vaccumm rubber belt where the WORN rubber in my sunroof was allowing water to get in.

been fixed for over 6 moths and no more water inside.

• 6 months later...

Old thread of mine, but an update - strange, but 7 months later, the windshield (or whatever it was) has never leaked a drop again. I am guessing it was indeed a drain plug was clogged or something?

Thanks for the tips!