Numb Butts

grouch

The wife and I took a 1300 mile trip to see the grand kids in our Rx.

We had to stop about every 100 miles, get out and walk around to get the numbness out of our butts. It didn't make any difference if you were driver or passenger. It was like sitting on a leather picnic bench. After a long stretch with the wife driving, we stopped to get a bite to eat. The wife had to stand and lean against the car for about 2 minutes before she could walk.

We got back yesterday and our butts are still sore. We don't have a lot of "built in" padding. We're both over 6' and slim.

We got this car to travel in, now it's only the grocery getter to us.

Are we the only ones to have this experience?

No, it's a common complaint that shows up on this forum from time to time.

I'm 6-foot-7 and about 245 pounds so on the rare occasions that I have to drive my wife's RX, I'm good for about an hour before I start cussing the vehicle and have to unfold myself out of it before I cramp up. I have absolutely no headroom or legroom and have to fold my knees underneath the steering wheel to get in the thing.

My wife is normal-sized and spends a lot of time in her RX. She drives from North Carolina to Florida and back multiple times each year to visit her parents, and that's a 12-hour drive with occasional stops for gas and food. Although she manages, she acknowledges that the seats are not very comfortable for her and could use more padding and bolster support. When she had her Jeep Grand Cherokees prior to her RXs, this trip was always much more comfortable for her.

I believe that the seats are too small and too thin with minimal support for long-distance driving, especially for taller folks. You may want to look into acquiring seat cushions and backs that are made for driving long distances and can be attached directly on top of the existing seat with straps, velcro, etc.

Good luck - I feel your pain, literally....

I'm 6-2 @ 180 and my wife is 6-1 and a lot less (I know my limits). The good thing is that after your butt goes numb, you don't feel your legs.

We have friends in both North and South Carolina and were thinking of a trip that way, but that's on hold for now.

The wife and I took a 1300 mile trip to see the grand kids in our Rx.

We had to stop about every 100 miles, get out and walk around to get the numbness out of our butts. It didn't make any difference if you were driver or passenger. It was like sitting on a leather picnic bench. After a long stretch with the wife driving, we stopped to get a bite to eat. The wife had to stand and lean against the car for about 2 minutes before she could walk.

We got back yesterday and our butts are still sore. We don't have a lot of "built in" padding. We're both over 6' and slim.

We got this car to travel in, now it's only the grocery getter to us.

Are we the only ones to have this experience?

I'm 6' /180# and the seats drive me crazy. Haven't tried an hour drive yet, but it wouldn't be pleasant. Bothers me after 5 minutes. Not only is it too hard, but too short and narrows too quickly so really hurts the outside of my thighs (especially right). I hope to find a 1" thick firm pad to fill that center of seat space.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no, don't tell me it's true! :(

I thought only the IS MK 1 suffered from this with their hip-squeezing too short seats. As I have to accomodate 3 child seats in the back I was contemplating an RX300 as it won't fit/be legal in my IS with a 4, 2 and 0 year old.

I'm 6'3" so I'll better take a long test drive :unsure:

BTW anyone know from what year on the RX300 has Isofix child-seat latches in the back seat? 2001 or all models from 1999?

Oh no, don't tell me it's true! :(

I thought only the IS MK 1 suffered from this with their hip-squeezing too short seats. As I have to accomodate 3 child seats in the back I was contemplating an RX300 as it won't fit/be legal in my IS with a 4, 2 and 0 year old.

I'm 6'3" so I'll better take a long test drive :unsure:

BTW anyone know from what year on the RX300 has Isofix child-seat latches in the back seat? 2001 or all models from 1999?

A close friend has a Lexus LS430 and he can't stand the seats. Too short and hard.

I can certainly see the height issue, I'm only 6'1" and I have to have the seat all the way back. At 6'7" you're basically in a "clown car" situation. Then again these RX's are built for smaller folks , thats why you can't get your hands around in engine bay and you knock your head on the tailgate if you're over 5"10" :D.

I have to disagree with the seats though, I'm at 220 with a pretty broad back and average waist 34", I find the seats to be pretty cushy and I've done several 500+ milers with no complaints. I can't believe anyone finds them hard :huh: Is it possible your's are worn out? They're definitely not sport seats as they don't really hold you in so I'm not sure why they would be so uncomfy.

I can certainly see the height issue, I'm only 6'1" and I have to have the seat all the way back. At 6'7" you're basically in a "clown car" situation. Then again these RX's are built for smaller folks , thats why you can't get your hands around in engine bay and you knock your head on the tailgate if you're over 5"10" :D.

I have to disagree with the seats though, I'm at 220 with a pretty broad back and average waist 34", I find the seats to be pretty cushy and I've done several 500+ milers with no complaints. I can't believe anyone finds them hard :huh: Is it possible your's are worn out? They're definitely not sport seats as they don't really hold you in so I'm not sure why they would be so uncomfy.

I recently did a 3 hour round trip and really felt it. I do think these are post minivan "soccer mom" cars, built for humans with wider hips, and much better padded butts than mine. That's the target demographic. If that center butt foam compresses, an inordinate amount of pressure is put on the upper thighs. I might try a 1" thick high grade foam piece just for the butt area.

In doing a little research, I've noticed that people either love or hate the seats. It makes me wounder if there is a common denominator such as made in Japan Vs. made in Canada.

Mine is from Canada.

In doing a little research, I've noticed that people either love or hate the seats. It makes me wounder if there is a common denominator such as made in Japan Vs. made in Canada.

Mine is from Canada.

Where/how do you determine it?

Mine is from Canada.

Where/how do you determine it?

If the first number of the vin is "2" then it's from Canada, if it's a "J" then it's from Japan....I think that's right.

Errrr Nevermind!

Hey guys, I have to offer up a sincere apology and a big "doh!". You're talking about 330's and I was referring to the 300. I totally forgot that Rx in NC is now a 330 owner! I'm so used to commiserating about the 300 issues with him. Anyhow, I promise to pay more attention in the future.

• 1 month later...

I recently did a 3 hour round trip and really felt it. I do think these are post minivan "soccer mom" cars, built for humans with wider hips, and much better padded butts than mine. That's the target demographic. If that center butt foam compresses, an inordinate amount of pressure is put on the upper thighs. I might try a 1" thick high grade foam piece just for the butt area.

Update:

Tried a small 1' x 1', 1" thick pillow, and it was too thick. I then tried a piece of exercise mat (roughly 11" x 14", 3/8" minicell foam, fabric on one side) and everything felt much better--weight spread much more evenly over all surfaces. The minicell is firm, and I may try a piece of 1/2" slightly softer foam pad. The bottom line (no pun intended) is that it doesn't take a lot of foam compression to change how the seat feels, or a lot of replacement to restore it. Also reinforces my belief that these seats really were designed with women in mind.