New Shocks For My 2000 Ls 400. Oem Lexus Or Aftermarket?

Mera

Mera, are you sure your shock absorbers are worn out? Shocks on the LS400 and lots of other Toyota products can last the life of the car - sometimes several hundred thousand miles. The ones on my 90 LS were fine when I sold it at 183,000 miles and I am pretty sure that the current owner would have told me if he had changed them - the 90 now has over 250,000 miles on it.

I just replaced the struts on my '97 ls400, used KYB, they ride like I have solid rubber tires, if they don't loosen up, I will have to replace them. I ordered Sensa-tracs for the front from Shockwarehouse.com and although they were in identical boxes with the same part #, one of the Monroes was the wrong part so I had to get a set of KYBs locally for the front. I have KYBs all around and I am sick of the ride, $600 lesson learned, education is expensive.

My LS400 seem to dance around a little lately. It is not my daily driver and sometimes it sits for weeks. I have new OEM rims and new tires going on soon. Thought I would do the shocks at the same time. I guess I'll wait and see how it drives with the new tires first. Possibly that feeling will go away with the new tires.

Thanks for the advice

Rodney

Mera, does your 98 LS have super high miles or been driven mostly on rough roads?

I often notice how cushy the ride is in my 00 LS is after driving a rental car for a few weeks. Depending on the rental car I've had, my LS can either seem like a boat or very pleasant.

Whats your "daily driver"? A Porsche? ;)

feeling is not going to go away:) i replaced H rated tired with Z rated and it didnt help much, chaning lanes fast speeds was still waay to shaky:)

after i replaced all 4 shocks with OEM ones it made such a drastic difference that now its hard to me tell the difference between my newer and older LS:)

I had KYB GR-2's on my old 1990 LS400. The PO had just had them installed shortly before I bought it. The ride never loosened up. It was like riding in a dump truck! There was hardly any "give" in the suspension. I had OEMs installed very soon after buying it and the ride was super smooth.

My current LS400 still has the original struts and the rears are soft and supple, but the fronts have "stiffened" up a little and does not absorb bumps all that well. I really should replace them I suppose.

Yes, I would recommend OEM unless you like the ride of a old truck. :rolleyes:

I just replaced the struts on my '97 ls400, used KYB, they ride like I have solid rubber tires, if they don't loosen up, I will have to replace them. I ordered Sensa-tracs for the front from Shockwarehouse.com and although they were in identical boxes with the same part #, one of the Monroes was the wrong part so I had to get a set of KYBs locally for the front. I have KYBs all around and I am sick of the ride, $600 lesson learned, education is expensive.

I sent an e-mail to customer support at KYB about the hard ride after installing their struts, here's the reply.

Hurschel,

The shocks we offer for your vehicle are about 10-15% firmer than the OE

shocks so if you were to exchange them you would get the same ride with

the new set. They are not defective. If you are looking for a ride that

is not as firm as our GR-2 the dealer is the only place that would have

a less firm ride.

I suppose if we want to keep the Lexus ride, best to install the OEM struts, still haven't decided if I'll return the KYBs and go with OE, the fronts are not as stiff as the rear, empty dump truck does come to mind.