Oil Filter Bigger Is Better?

Greetings Gang!

I know ... and I did check the archives and found some info reagrding this topic, But never really seemed to get a definitive answer( If there is one). My old Jag had a big filter and this OEM oil filter seems really small and I always kind of thought bigger volume meant better job. Thru the archives i decided the Puralotor Pure 1 is pretty decent(L10924) but wonder if anyone found a Puralotor of a larger size that fits the 1999 400 GS also?? Also why does the archives not recoginize a word under 4 letters? Make searching for a " oil or air " filter thread much harder. Am I wrong in my bigger is better theory or is that just a guy mucho thing? :unsure: Thanks in advance

A bigger oiler filter increases the the coil capacity of the entire system and would thus have more oil to lubricate and to cool. Don't know if it would make much of a difference in a non-turbo engine as I don't think coking oil is a big concern in Lexus cars.

And you can use google to search for small word terms on any website. Just add the term "site"www.website.com" to your terms. So in this example, you would enter:

oil filter site:http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/

into the search area. Google is pretty good at searching, wouldn't you agree ^_^

Increasing the oil capacity in any engine is always a good thing in my opinion. Adding a bigger filter will increase the oil-to-filter surface area and should provide more efficient filtration. It could also allow you to leave the filter on longer if you were inclined to do so. Smaller filters aren't a problem with 3000 mile oil changes, but with the new longer life oils, some requiring changing every 10,000 miles, a bigger filter could pay a worthwhile dividend.

Increasing the oil capacity in any engine is always a good thing in my opinion. Adding a bigger filter will increase the oil-to-filter surface area and should provide more efficient filtration. It could also allow you to leave the filter on longer if you were inclined to do so. Smaller filters aren't a problem with 3000 mile oil changes, but with the new longer life oils, some requiring changing every 10,000 miles, a bigger filter could pay a worthwhile dividend.

i think the performance not the size is more important. the filter has diff grade

I use the Toyota designed filter, because they're the folks that designed the engine, and know best what's good for it. It's a bit presumptuous to think an aftermarket filter, made for something else perhaps, will be in any way superior.

I'm also a bit distressed at the Bigger is Better line of logic. Back in the days when I started with cars it was "them header tubes are bigger so they must be better" or "this here carb is 750 cfm and that's bigger than 500 cfm so it must be better" or "these here spark plugs wires are 10mm and that's bigger 'an them 6mm so they're better". Hell open up the ECU and I'm sure you'll see some capacitors that are quite small. Radio Shack will sell you bigger caps - they're better.

Yeah, i have to agree with SRK. I don't think that it is a good idea to just guess what filter could possilby increase your capcity, completey ignoring that different cars run at different pressures and efficiencies. I don't think there is any "science" behind that more will cool better, however if you overfill your pan, the crankshaft will whip the oil up, creating air... and wherever there is air, there isn't oil, and wherever there isn't oil there is metal on metal. I worked for Lexus for a few years, now work for Toyota, the filter from a Es300 is a G1, and will most likely screw onto the threads but might be a little shallow for the filter housing. The Toyota filter for a V8.. Tundra, GS, etc.. is a D3. I have never seen a purolator on a vehicle in a minnesota, however mostly i see OEM or valvoline, or some other reputable brand. I don't think there is a real big gain to doing this, but there could be a profound after effect if for some reason the filter just didn't sit right on the metal filter flange. Just for what it's worth. Ps, you should ALWAYS change your oil every 3,000 miles, the GS did not leave the factory with synthetics so don't think for one second you are doing it favors running over the 3k with "5 or 10 thousand mile oil".