Obtaining Event Data Recorder Dump?

My 06 GS430 was smashed...possibly totaled by a garage parking attendant. All damage is in rear section but impact was enough to trigger left side curtain airbags and deform drivers seat. Appears there will be a battle with their insurance company. Attorney asked me to contact dealer and see how/if we can gain access to event data recorder that will contain speed, g force at impact, throttle position, etc.

Dealer says they can't do it.....said "can't" vs. "wont".

Has anyone had any experience trying to obtain this data? Any recommendations short of hiring a full electronics lab?

Thanks in advance!

im pretty sure the dealer will wanna stay out of the mess. you need to get a car-computer ninja hacker to suck out that info for you. besides, i honestly believe the insurance company will reject the evidence anyway. stuff like that is still ahead of its time. ur best bet is to sue the guy who was driving your car. what did you mean by "possibly by a garage attendant"? im curious to hear the whole story. was it being valeted or what?

im pretty sure the dealer will wanna stay out of the mess. you need to get a car-computer ninja hacker to suck out that info for you. besides, i honestly believe the insurance company will reject the evidence anyway. stuff like that is still ahead of its time. ur best bet is to sue the guy who was driving your car. what did you mean by "possibly by a garage attendant"? im curious to hear the whole story. was it being valeted or what?

Yes, car was being driven by one of valets employed by the operator of the parking garage. He hit a concrete column in the garage while driving in reverse at somewhere between 20 and 30 mph. Hit another car along the way.

Yes, car was being driven by one of valets employed by the operator of the parking garage. He hit a concrete column in the garage while driving in reverse at somewhere between 20 and 30 mph. Hit another car along the way.

so what is the problem? why is it an insurance battle. the guy who was driving is 100% responsible.

WTF 20-30mph in REVERSE?

That's why I cringe at the thought of these attendant hotshots from parking the car. They always screech the tires moving the cars and don't give a *BLEEP* since it's not their car.

What exactly is the insurance company fighting you about? Their insured (the parking attendant) damaged your car. Case closed.

Scott:

I did a google on "automobile data recorder" and a couple of interesting returns came up.

Here is a group in Florida that appears to be able to assist with the crash data recorder:

http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm

The site has some links (which I admittadly did not click because I did not have the time) to cases where the information from the crash data recorder were introduced into evidence. So...it appears that you might be able to use it, but I would guess it depends on your states statutes.

I found another one in Kansas. He appears to work with lawyers that you have working on your behalf:

http://www.crashforensics.com/automobiledatarecorders.cfm

Anyway - one of these groups might know of someone closer to your area who may be able to help you out.

Duckman