Anyone Think Lexus Dropped The Ball With The Rx Series?

As the subject says. Our 2006 rx400h is in the shop supposedly because the 12v battery has a dead cell. They gave us a 2008 gs350 and its like a different world. The thing doesn't rattle, doesn't squeak, it doesn't have a roof rack that rattles while driving down the highway. The back seat armrest can be in the up position and not make noise. ETC.

Pretty much the gadgets and such are all the same, but the GS350 is what I expect a lexus to be. We had an es250 rental that was the same way. Well built without squeaks and rattles. I plan to have a word with the service department tomorrow.

What's the MPGs on the GS? Anyway, the rattle that I initially thought would drive me crazy when I bought my 400h was the little release tabs for the privacy screen by the hatch. They are supposed to be pushed in when you don't have the screen on. Easy fix. The other was that the backs of the seats have a backing that needs to be loose to not make noise so I keep the back seats forward when no one is sitting back there. So I never have ANY rattles. My roof rack NEVER rattled but since I didn't like it, I took it off. Just buy a different car if it's not what you want. That too is an easy fix. I love the RX 400h and I am planning on having it ten years more, I've had it over two years now and am nuts about it! Life's too short, be happy. Having money in the bank is a relatively new thing for me so I've never had a luxury car before so I guess it's all relative. I thought all cars rattled! They are machines after all. But, I understand your frustration, I didn't like that my 50k car rattled! For that kind of money I didn't like that at all. But I'm tenacious and I found what the rattle was and it turned out to be nothing...even the dealership didn't fix it, I did. They didn't know what it was. I drove with the hatch open and I noticed no rattle...so that's what told me it was the little tabs in the hatch area hitting the closed hatch. Anyway, I hope you'll have resolution soon. I haven't had any of the issues with batteries or anything. The one major irritant was the terrible Good Year tires that only lasted 11K miles! But even that was a blessing in that I got my amazing, and larger, TOYO tires and now the car rides even better and looks better as well. Anyway, as I said, I wish you well and hope all is resolved. Here's to peace of mind. Warmly, Rey

As the subject says. Our 2006 rx400h is in the shop supposedly because the 12v battery has a dead cell. They gave us a 2008 gs350 and its like a different world. The thing doesn't rattle, doesn't squeak, it doesn't have a roof rack that rattles while driving down the highway. The back seat armrest can be in the up position and not make noise. ETC.

Pretty much the gadgets and such are all the same, but the GS350 is what I expect a lexus to be. We had an es250 rental that was the same way. Well built without squeaks and rattles. I plan to have a word with the service department tomorrow.

I think the difference in squeaks & rattles lies in the age of the cars and luck. You are comparing brand new cars to one that's been in use for years.

I have both a GS and an RX and have not found that RX's are built worse than GS's.

The RX400h battery (51R if I remember) is pretty small, probably to keep the weight down. It's more vulnerable to running out of juice than larger batteries. Did you try jump starting?

My '08 RX350 now has no rattles or any of the other annoyances that are mentioned by the original poster. As with the second post, there were some minor things to work out when the car was first purchased but now it is exemplary.

The comparative lack of posts on this site complaining about the RX vs. the other Lexus models is noteworthy - at least regarding the newer RX model. Even then, most of the posts list relatively minor issues.

Sludge and transmission troubles seemed to be prevalent in the early RX years but Lexus has worked through those problems.

well I tried all the tips mentioned and there are still buzzes and rattles, took the privacy screen out, made sure the tabs are in the correct position. it appears there is a buzz from somewhere around the back headrest that at some point I'll have to troubleshoot.

But what do you do about the back armrest? Just drive with it down all the time?

The roof rack rattles like crazy, I had them replace it twice, and they claimed its designed to float so it would always rattle. Remember, we picked up this car with 20K miles on it, its done this since day one. We have driven in rentals with 8K miles and one with 30K miles and none of this crap.

Cars now a days really do not rattle. A lot of rattles we can find ourselves, but some rattles coming from behind panels are not so easy to find. Its just really annoying when I have more rattles than in a corvette convertible which is known as a rattle trap.

Actually, only Corvettes of 96 and older vintage were rattle traps. The C5s and C6s all have hydroformed frames and are pretty much rattle and cowl shake-free. My 01 is still superbly free from any annoying squeeks and rattles.

Our RX400h makes noise only when we leave the sun visor unlatched or something in the back that isn't secured properly.

Actually, only Corvettes of 96 and older vintage were rattle traps. The C5s and C6s all have hydroformed frames and are pretty much rattle and cowl shake-free. My 01 is still superbly free from any annoying squeeks and rattles.

Our RX400h makes noise only when we leave the sun visor unlatched or something in the back that isn't secured properly.

The only thing I am noticing so far is that the seat belt retractors seem to pull the belt clip into a position where

it rattles against the door pillar by default. I have to constantly reach over to the passenger seat when not

occupied and flip it around so it doesn't rattle.

It will be interesting to see how it ages. I had a 94 Toyota Camry XLE that was superb for the 1st 10 years

and then started to develop rattles in the dash. Otherwise it was near flawless for it's 14.25 years of service.

/Steve

my 99 vette convertible rattled, but the 08 convertible is pretty good. The lexus dealer did some stuff and the car is better now as far as rattles and stuff go, but its nowhere near the level of the ES and GS that we have had for rental cars. Its not even like rattles, its like buzzing and stuff from behind panels and such.

I think they could have done a better job with sound deadening. I currently have an ES350 and an LS400 in addition to the RX400h. Both of them, as well as a GX470 that I owned up until a year ago (regret parting with it), are noticeably quieter inside than the RX. I had seven rattles that I dealt with on the RX. Three addressed by dealer (in five visits), and the others I fixed myself. Very frustrating during the first few months of ownership. I think I put 1500 miles on the car just driving around trying to figure out where all the rattles were coming from when I first got it. Two days after driving it off the lot, I returned it for a dash rattle. With 120 miles on the vehicle, they had to take the whole dash out and install an insulation kit to fix the problem.

Jim

Compared with rest of the lineup, RX has the oldest designs (besides GX). I believe all the updated features you see on the Lexus models will find their way to the all new RX coming out who-knows-when. More horse power, more fuel efficient, more room; less noisy in hybrid system, less money?

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, 5 visits later to the dealer and it seems relatively quiet now, I still will have to address some issues on my own. They did manage to get the rear armrest to stay quiet in the up position but not sure what they did or how long that will stay quiet for.

I notice that all the other lexuses have ventilated seats which will hopefully get into the new RX. I do not like the reports of long wheelbase RX400h's and the like though. No need to make the vehicle heavier.

I think they could have done a better job with sound deadening. I currently have an ES350 and an LS400 in addition to the RX400h. Both of them, as well as a GX470 that I owned up until a year ago (regret parting with it), are noticeably quieter inside than the RX. I had seven rattles that I dealt with on the RX. Three addressed by dealer (in five visits), and the others I fixed myself. Very frustrating during the first few months of ownership. I think I put 1500 miles on the car just driving around trying to figure out where all the rattles were coming from when I first got it. Two days after driving it off the lot, I returned it for a dash rattle. With 120 miles on the vehicle, they had to take the whole dash out and install an insulation kit to fix the problem.

Jim