Advice On Suggested "cabin Air Filter"

new to lexus

Hi. I'm not so new, having had my 03 LS 430 for about 6500 miles. But I am headed for my second oil change tomorrow morning, and the service guy suggested over the phone today that I get a new cabin air filter (about $60) and maybe another kind of filter. Am I being taken or do I need this? Thanks.

Check it out yourself. It should be in the manual how to replace it. And you could probably get a replacement filter for half that cost! Oil change places are a big rip off on stuff like that... unless it's much different from my 97's cabin air filter. I'd totally recommend changing the filters yourself, you will save a decent amount of money :)

Oh! and welcome to LOC!! :D Got any pics of the 430??

:cheers:

Check it out yourself. It should be in the manual how to replace it. And you could probably get a replacement filter for half that cost! Oil change places are a big rip off on stuff like that... unless it's much different from my 97's cabin air filter. I'd totally recommend changing the filters yourself, you will save a decent amount of money :)

Oh! and welcome to LOC!! :D Got any pics of the 430??

:cheers:

Personally I go to home depot and buy the BEST and largest 3M furnace filter (~$15)they have. I then cut it down and it makes at least three Lexus cabin airfilters.

The air filter for the 1st gen LS430 is behind the lower glovebox; you can open the glovebox; remove the back panel insert and then just pull it out.

I think the filters are about $30-40 at Sewell; and they are also available at most Toyota dealerships (it's a standard Toyota part). I think they have activated charcoal on one side (so they will be dark this is normal); the other side not sure. The rear filter may be the same type (for the UL models).

He might have been suggesting the fuel filter; not sure where that is. I think the LS430 has more than one.

Hi. I'm not so new, having had my 03 LS 430 for about 6500 miles. But I am headed for my second oil change tomorrow morning, and the service guy suggested over the phone today that I get a new cabin air filter (about $60) and maybe another kind of filter. Am I being taken or do I need this? Thanks.

This is a common scam by the oil change/brake places. I went to have my brake pads replaced by a local indie, and the first thing he said after looking at my old 1994 LS was "You need to change the cabin filter". When I told him I had replaced it 2 weeks ago, he looked like Pancho Villa with his pants down. I changed the pads myself. No way, Jose.

This is a common scam by the oil change/brake places. I went to have my brake pads replaced by a local indie, and the first thing he said after looking at my old 1994 LS was "You need to change the cabin filter". When I told him I had replaced it 2 weeks ago, he looked like Pancho Villa with his pants down. I changed the pads myself. No way, Jose.

Always check out the local NAPA store. Got my last cabin air filter for my 04 for around $25 and it was an exact match for the factory filter.

Thanks for the advice from you all. I should have said also that I am not a do it your selfer. Girl, whose husband is hands off my car, for such things.

I did take the car to the Toyota place to have the service, (not the Lexus dealer). I guess I got taken, as the service guy did bring in the old filter to me and it looked dirty (he said) then I read tonight that it's supposed to be gray on one side! But it did look dirty, and the old service records which I have, don't mention it ever being changed.

I did use synthetic oil, and paid to have the tires rotated (convenience since I was there and I work), so I had a hefty little bill. (Filter alone was 48$ plus labor to put it on.)

Just paranoid about my car not getting the right stuff at the right time. And I am not wealthy so it needs to last a long time.

For the person who asked for pics, I don't have a digital camera yet and not savvy about pics on the computer.

But I really value the info I read on this forum. Haven't posted much, but I read lots!!