97 Es300 Disabled...by A Rat...help :(

A normal Saturday afternoon as I try to start my car and it would not start, the sound doesn't seem like the battery was dying so I popped the hood to see if there's anything else unusual, and there it is-a big fat furry rat sitting right next to the engine

I first thought the sun was playing tricks in my eyes, but then i noticed the sun was not there, but the rat was and its real! The little f***** quickly jumped down and disappeared into the alleyway, as I inspected the engine compartment I found that 3 wires were chewed up by the damn rat, I was in shocked and completely speechless...0.o

I live in Baltimore city and rat is a big problem, they dig up your trash but I just never thought they can easily climb up from underneath, chew up some wires and make you late for work!

So aside from the fact that I'm still shocked by the ridiculous f-ed up story, I have no idea what the rat did to my car =P, take a look at the pictures, could someone help me ID these parts, what did the rat chew up? Why won't the engine start? Will this be a pain to fix? How much do you think its gonna cost to fix? Thanks!

And someone please tell me this is not a sign of the end of the universe =)

Three wires to Two connectors were chewed up:

car3.jpg

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car4.jpg

car5.jpg

car6.jpg

Connector#1:

car7.jpg

Connector#2:

car9.jpg

Connector#2:

car8.jpg

Had the same thing happen on a Porsche 944 that was stored in a barn. The rats built a nest on the top of the engine. After chewing various wiring and disabling the engine the rat(s) crawled along the driveline and chewed through the leather shift boot to access the interior of the car. Then they raided the dry dog food and built a little warehouse of their own inside.

The car was started monthly so all of this was accomplished within a month's time. It took quite a while to recover from the invasion with all of the clean-up, rewiring, and rat crap.

I know this doesn't help your situation but at least you know you're not alone with such a problem.

Had the same thing happen on a Porsche 944 that was stored in a barn. The rats built a nest on the top of the engine. After chewing various wiring and disabling the engine the rat(s) crawled along the driveline and chewed through the leather shift boot to access the interior of the car. Then they raided the dry dog food and built a little warehouse of their own inside.

The car was started monthly so all of this was accomplished within a month's time. It took quite a while to recover from the invasion with all of the clean-up, rewiring, and rat crap.

I know this doesn't help your situation but at least you know you're not alone with such a problem.

Damn rats :censored:

post-1634-1203948151_thumb.jpg

Dude, I thought I was unlucky, if I find that happening to my Porsche (if I had one) those rats will be kept alive, hang up-side-down, and tortured.

I got my car fixed cost my $200 towing and fixing, I could have done it myself if I had a portable soldering iron, but I wanted to make sure the rat didnt chew anything else.

Now mouse traps and rat poison are the new additions to my engine compartment :)

Sorry to hear that man.

The connector with two wires is the coolant temperature sensor. I can't make out what the 1-wire connector is.

It's rather difficult to get a new set of wires to replace them and quite a bit of troubles to install the new wire set.

Here is what I would recommend.

1. Buy a Chilton or Hayes repair manual at any auto part stores

2. Look at the wiring diagram. It's not that difficult to follow. Each diagram shows your the exact color of the wires and for what purpose.

3. Figure #2 out and buy some wires and soldier gun and soldier to reconnect them yourself. Most likely repair shop will do that same for you.

As long as you figured out which 2 wires go to the coolant temperature sensor, you are good. There is no such things as + or - wires for the sensor, so doesn't matter which of the two color goes to which terminal.

Good luck. . let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

I has a similar situation in my lexus with a mouse. I as I was driving.... a dead mouse flew up over the windshield from the engine compartment. So I pulled over and opened up the hood, and sure enough... there was a live one in there too!!! They chewed up all of the felt material around the radiator. I ended up putting moth balls, and all kinds of traps all over my garage.

BTW--- how big was the rat... I dont see them in Wisconsin ever thankfully.