2004 Lexus Is300 Starting Issues !

liweiwh21

Hello I need your knowledge on this problem I need to solve asap.

I just purchased used IS300. The second day I went to work in the morning and started fine but at the end of day when I went home, I tried to start the car and it just clicked once (the sound) turn all the way ignition and the battery died, a few minutes later, I tried to start the car again I heard a click (the sound) as I turn all the way ignition and this time all the lights all off the battery died completely.

The car got towed to my mechanic said the battery was bad, changed it and he said would solve the issue and he did not see any other problems related.

Now, I been driving the car for about 2 weeks now, sometimes, after say 12+ hours or so without start the car, the SAME symptom would occur: When I start the car and it would just click once (the sound) when turn all the way ignition the FIRST time, but since with the new battery, I was able to successfully start the car the second time when I turn all the way ignition.

What the hell is going on? Please help? I am afraid it would kill the battery again in a very short time and I would be stranded...

Sounds like you have a bad wire or connection in the charging system off the altanator. MAybe the person who owned the car before you had an aftermarket stereo system in it, and when they pulled the stereo and amps maybe pulled one of them loose?

it seems the original stereo system were still there, no mods I could tell. I just need some places the mechanic can look at to diagnose the issue. could it be fuel line, voltage regulator, ignition, etc? anything?

Sounds like you have a bad wire or connection in the charging system off the altanator. MAybe the person who owned the car before you had an aftermarket stereo system in it, and when they pulled the stereo and amps maybe pulled one of them loose?

I'm almost certian you have an alternator issue, or the alternator is not recharging the battery due to a bad or improper connection.

The only job of the battery is to start the car. Once the car is started, the alternator takes over, and recharges the battery. Unless the alternator is not producing enouph charge, then the battery will suppliment the needs of the car, and hence eventually drain and die. If you take it to your mechanic, or the dealership, they can test the alternator and the connections to find the issue. It can't really be anything else, unless they have some lights or something wired directly to the battery and you are leaving it on while the car is off without knowing it.

Smooth1,

To further clarify the issue, only after 8-12hrs of idle, usually in my garage, does the 1 time or 2 times crank completely no start only I hear the click one time then the next time it would start. Now once I get the car to start, when I travel place to place and stop the car and restart again it DOES start the first time I crank it... the restart time usually no more than a few hours. You know what I mean?

Would you still say is the alternator? I have no history of it and my mechanic, who is not bad, but not expertise and could have miss something... Please reply back and I will bring the car to check again asap.

-Li-Wei

The voltage regulators are inside the alternators today. They are actually combined as one unit now.

OOOhhhh, ok, yes, that is different. That sounds like an ignition switch then. Maybe pull the cylinder lock and see if it needs to be replaced.

OOOhhhh, ok, yes, that is different. That sounds like an ignition switch then. Maybe pull the cylinder lock and see if it needs to be replaced.

Replace the starter contacts, Same thing happened to my GS (basicly the same motor/starter) Good Luck.