Extended Warranty

fna

I just bought a used 2003 Lexus ES300 71000 miles from the dealer for 15500. The car seems to be of one owner and maintained well and very clean. I have two questions to ask:

1. Is this a good price I bought?

2. Do I need to take extended warranty? Is taking an extended warranty on this vehicle going to be a waste as it is a very reliable car with very few problems.

Also, did you get service records with the car?

:cheers:

The warranty the dealer is asking is 1880 for 3yrs/36000 miles.

I did get the service records with the car, and seems to be pretty okay.

Also, does anybody has any idea how the company accesswarranty.com is?

If i were you, I go without warranty, but that's me.

90,000 you have change lots of thing(TB WP seal etc. ( ~$1000) . Records for oil change is good

don't waste your money on warranty.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. The helps.

How is the price I bought 15500. I live in Southern California..The dealer quoted the price as 19000/-

If i were you, I go without warranty, but that's me.

90,000 you have change lots of thing(TB WP seal etc. ( ~$1000) . Records for oil change is good

don't waste your money on warranty.

Hope that helps.

I would agree. My long time thought on buying a warrenty, as what I tell the sales person is "Is the car that poor I need it?" If you have good quality, in my eyes, you do not need it.

I just bought a used 2003 Lexus ES300 71000 miles from the dealer for 15500. The car seems to be of one owner and maintained well and very clean. I have two questions to ask:

1. Is this a good price I bought?

2. Do I need to take extended warranty? Is taking an extended warranty on this vehicle going to be a waste as it is a very reliable car with very few problems.

Depends on what it covers (in detail), max amount per claim, exclusions, reputation of the company, etc. A major repair on a Lexus can easily run more than your premium. Spend a few bucks and get a complete inspection done before deciding. The report will tell you if there are likely to be issues coming up soon. If it comes out clean, and you have a well documented history, then personally, I would save the money for maintaining the car in good condition.

I purchased the Lexus extended warranty for my previous 2001 ES.....cost a good chunk of change & all I got out of it was a couple of rear suspension bushings. :rolleyes: I passed on the extended warranty this time around.

If all service records are up to date, I would think twice before getting it personally.....I'm not a fan either of 3rd party warranty companies.

I've had the complete rear braking system, the steering shaft, the HVAC control unit and a rear main seal covered by the extended warranty. That would have been approximately $4k out of my pocket for repairs (at the Lexus dealer) for my purchase of the warranty for $1600. I could have gotten it for $900 too.

I'll never own another vehicle without an extended warranty again, and I'm more than a little concerned about continuing to own this one now that the coverage has ended.

That was the extended Lexus new car warranty though, you won't be eligable for that so I don't know what your warranty will cover...

One thing that burns me about extended warranties (at least the one's I've had offered by the actual automakers here in Canada) is that the coverage actually overlaps the current factory warranty......it does not take effect when the original factory warranty expires for both time & mileage :rolleyes:

Why that is beats me & makes no sense to have double coverage & in effect much less time on the coverage as well at a premium price.

One thing that burns me about extended warranties (at least the one's I've had offered by the actual automakers here in Canada) is that the coverage actually overlaps the current factory warranty......it does not take effect when the original factory warranty expires for both time & mileage :rolleyes:

Why that is beats me & makes no sense to have double coverage & in effect much less time on the coverage as well at a premium price.

This is exactly where a lot of people get fooled into thinking that the newly purchased extended warranty covers 5 year when in reality it only covers 2 addtional years after the included warranty expires. It's a sales gimmick written and advertised so as to fool the unwary consumer into believing they are getting a great deal. Be forewarned, always read the fine print! And when you're done, read it again, even get someone else to read it! I remember reviewing a contract I was about to sign.......I was so intent on making sure the provision that I really wanted included was there that I completely missed some terms I did not agree to and was made aware of them only at the last minute when my accountant pointed them out to me. I was too focused on one item to see the whole picture. Needless to say they were removed before I signed, but I could have easily signed and found out after it was too late. You always have time to buy extended warranties. Take it!

The Lexus warranty is not this way. It is total years and vehicle mileage. So whether you buy it when its new or right before the factory warranty runs out, its good until the same point in the vehicle's life. I bought the 7 year 100k warranty, good for 7 total years of age or 100k total miles.

You can buy it for the new car price all the way until the original warranty expires.

At least in the US...

The Lexus warranty is not this way. It is total years and vehicle mileage. So whether you buy it when its new or right before the factory warranty runs out, its good until the same point in the vehicle's life. I bought the 7 year 100k warranty, good for 7 total years of age or 100k total miles.

You can buy it for the new car price all the way until the original warranty expires.

At least in the US...

Something's wrong then with Lexus Canada.....the way you describe it above Steve is the way it should be.