Prospective Ls400 Owner

Yusuf

Well hello everyone, i have been thinking of trading in my acura legend for a ls400 the legend just has too many issues to deal with something seems to go wrong every month So i was just wondering if the ls400 has any such issue like for example the legend has a major engine defect in the sense that the head gaskets tend to leak after a certain time like around 200 000 km the shocks , the transmission the electronics have a mind of thier own sometimes the alarm will go off if you open the door with the key. So i was looking for a sliglty more reliable luxury sedan. I have read a lot of reviews about the ls400 and it has been recomended by many but as a daily driver how is it ? i read about the power steering going out on pretty much all the older ls's but is there anything i should know before i get myself into this. Any major engine or transmission issues ? h

Find one that been well cared for.

It's all about preventative maintinence. If you flush and clean all your systems regularly (ie: PS, tranny, coolant, diff, etc..) there should be no major problems at all.

My old 91 Ls had 186k when i sold it and it was problem free. I just got a 97 a couple months ago it now has 137k and Is problem free as well.

You can generally NEVER go wrong with an LS400

98 LS400 Bought it w/ 82k miles and now 122k. Great daily driver. Good maintenance records is the key before you purchase one. Be ready for the Dealer prices though! Replaced Tires, Battery, (Costco good prices) did the big 100k maint serv (Dealer) $800-$900. Changed out the CD changer my self and saved $500. I need to change the Heater blower motor. Dealer wants $800+, Part is $228 new from the dealer, looking for a used one from a junk yard or after market. If I can find out where it islocated in the car I'll change it out myself.

Well hello everyone, i have been thinking of trading in my acura legend for a ls400 the legend just has too many issues to deal with something seems to go wrong every month So i was just wondering if the ls400 has any such issue like for example the legend has a major engine defect in the sense that the head gaskets tend to leak after a certain time like around 200 000 km the shocks , the transmission the electronics have a mind of thier own sometimes the alarm will go off if you open the door with the key. So i was looking for a sliglty more reliable luxury sedan. I have read a lot of reviews about the ls400 and it has been recomended by many but as a daily driver how is it ? i read about the power steering going out on pretty much all the older ls's but is there anything i should know before i get myself into this. Any major engine or transmission issues ? h

Well, generally, the Acura Legend is an excellent car, but as a previous owner of a 1992 Acura Legend sedan, I know about the commong headgasket issues that plagued these cars, even though I had not had to deal with that issue even when I sold it at 203K miles. Other than that, these seem to be as reliable cars as Lexus in many cases, but the transmissions do sometimes have some funny shift patterns/noises.

In some areas, the Legends are actually easier upkeep, because they do not have the electro instrument cluster like the LS400 has, nor does it have the darkening LCD display problems and no power steering leak issues, but when compared to headgaskets, these are nothing when comparing to that, so I would take a 90-94 LS400 anyday over another 91-95 Legend. Engine and transmission wise, the LS400 is virtually bulletproof. Still amazes me that a brand new design in 1990, that Toyota got it almost perfect with the Lexus LS400, which was also their first V8. Normally new designs or first year of a new model brings some problems, but when the Lexus came out in 1990, it was as if the car had been around for hundreds of years. Never seemed to be any problems and was rated one of the most reliable cars on the road. Even when compared to new cars, I would say that many OLD generation 1 LS400s are still better in reliability that most new cars, despite high miles/age.

Other than the instrument cluster lighting problems (that occasionally crop up with age), the LCD light on the HVAC controls and the PS steering pump leaks, thats about it on the generation 1 LS400 as far as problems go. I have however heard SOME complaints of leaking steering racks, which I never knew of before. My uncle actually had to replace this on my aunts old 1990 LS400 around 200K. Also with age, the steering components tend to wear out and sometimes new ball joints, etc are in order. Oh, steer clear of air-suspension models with high miles, unless you are getting a steal, OR if you are 100% sure that ALL air struts have been replaced. These are very costly to replace when they fail. You can tell if the car has it by looking at the console. There is an extra switch there to control the suspension height/dampening.

Good luck!

I've had my 96 for a little over a year now and it IS a high mileage car. I replaced the timing belt at 238,000 and now have almost 300,000 on it! Power steering is beginning to go out and I have a small exhaust leak. Overall it has been a great car with minimal problems.

There is a "pinned" thread with the title "Common Issues And A Ls400 Buying Guide" at the top of the LS400/LS430 forum page.

Here is a link to the thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=11775

1990LS Ya beat me to it. Lots of good info. It's right at the top of this page. "Common Issues And A Ls400 Buying Guide"