Moisture In Headlight

oldsoftshoe

I have a problem with moisture in the drivers side headlight. I went to the lexus dealer and they said they would have to replace the light assembly, that would cost $1500 and $250 labor. There has to be some way to dry out the light assembly? Con you drill a couple of holes in the back of the light and blow air and then plug the holes? Help please

I have a problem with moisture in the drivers side headlight. I went to the lexus dealer and they said they would have to replace the light assembly, that would cost $1500 and $250 labor. There has to be some way to dry out the light assembly? Con you drill a couple of holes in the back of the light and blow air and then plug the holes? Help please

I don't know if this helps, but, nearly twenty years ago, I had the same problem with a Merc-B. Took the car to the dealer under warranty, and they 'dried' the headlight (basically by blowing - pressure - air through the hole which holds the bulb, after removing the bulb and bulbholder/socket, of course), then 'resealed' the headlight. I could not believe they didn't change it, but the moisture was not too 'liquid' too long, and hadn't damaged the headlight. The repair 'held' until I sold the car. Presumably, it is still holding if the car is still running. Point of this is that - if there has not been too much moisture so that the headlight or the bulbholder/socket are not corroded - 1. yes, you can 'dry' up the moisture with pressurized air, and 2. you must make sure, after drying the headlight with pressurized air, that it is correctly sealed. Otherwise the problem will recur. Good luck - pauljcl

Have the same situation with my '98 GS400. HID Right side. Same response from local Dealer. $$$$$. (see my post under GS400.) Another club member recommended the blow dryer too, but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure of what the long term effect will be if I just leave it since the center of the light is clear and night lighting seems to be appropriate. Curious what you do?

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same situation with my '98 GS400. HID Right side. Same response from local Dealer. $$$$$. (see my post under GS400.) Another club member recommended the blow dryer too, but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure of what the long term effect will be if I just leave it since the center of the light is clear and night lighting seems to be appropriate. Curious what you do?

Well here is what I did, I was able to remove the turning signal light and then put the air hose from my compressor. After about an hour the light was dry!

We will see what happens now, it has rained several time now and the light is still dry. Thanks for your input.

If you just want to dry the inside of the light out, then just turn your high beams on for awhile , and the heat from the holegen bulbs will dry them out in no time. The reason your low beams won't of course is because they are hid, and don't produce enouph heat.

Next I would take a small drill bit, and drill a small hole underneath the housing.This will let some more air circulate and keep it from happening again. And all that won't cost you anything except the time to do it.

We had one of our lamps replaced under warranty ('06 RX330). Moisture got in and once the HID lamp got hot drop of water apparently hit the lamp and it shattered. Based on that experience I would try drying it out as described but would be very hesitant about drilling a vent hole. Not sure of the cost but the lamps are $$$.