Lexus Ls400 - How Far Up The 'snob' Chain?!

CanadaCraig

Well if you meet a BMW V-8 owner, ask him how many kilometres he has on the new factory shortblock, or how far the first one went. Around 80k is when they wear out. If you meet a Mercedes owner, ask him how much he has spent on climate control and electrical work. They still won't look at your car with anything approaching envy, (it's just a Toyota they will say or think), but you can make them think about how their car has cost them so much.

The most important thing is how much you like your car. Mine makes me smile everytime I drive it.

I changed the oil when I returned from Alberta last August. Since then I have done nothing to it, except check levels and pressures, and put gas in it. It just runs.

The LS is certainly the technological and performance equal or even superior to the S and 7. It all depends on who you're talking to. Benz and BMW people will snicker at the Lexus, but I've found that the dream of affluence includes a "Lexus" even more than it does a Benz or BMW nowadays. Just something I've noticed listening to people speak, what car is referred to when talking about wealth etc. I'll give you some examples:

Lexus references abound in TV skits about affluence, public speeches on the subject of affluence and in movies. Moreso than BMW or Benz. They show BMWs and Benzes, but the TALK is more often of Lexus.

They were going to allow people to pay to enter the HOV lanes here. The news media dubbed it "The Lexus lane" because it would appeal only to the rich. Not the "BMW lane or the Benz Lane".

I can think of several TV shows about affluent families that drive Lexuses. The Hughleys for instance, D.L. Hughley's character drives an LS400.

And just dealing with people I know. I know a Sociologist who wrote and entire paper called "The Dual Lexus Family" there's a book called "The Lexus and the Olive Tree".

I forgot about that book - and I read it and have a copy - The Lexus and the Olive Tree, by Thomas Friedman of the New York Times. Worth reading, although it won't shed much light on this topic, other than he chose the Lexus as a metaphor for the state of technological advancement in Western cultures.

Seattle Eastside.....

So, how many of those guys running around in new Porsches are trophy husbands??

Besides me.

Hehe...Good point...But that would mean these men would have to be fully supported by their wifes with a considerable amount of money or income. Not too many of these out there to be honest. They may be ex-trophy wifes (divorce settlement) or something like that?

Have you not noticed the ratio of male vs female early/young microsoft retirees?

Amazing, lots of retired secretaries tilt the balance.

My girlfriend's sister works at MS now as a account exec. She makes very good money for 26 years old. I think shes pushing or she's at 6 figures now? If anybody was employed at MS back in the late 80's, early 90's and stayed for 5 years or so, they'll have some nice stock options. MS doesn't give options anymore as of last year.

I live by the Newcastle golf course which was constructed by a ex MS exec with basically cash. This is a world class golf course with $150 green fees. Man, only if I could be a pro golfer and get paid big money to hit the ball. I am envious of that life.