Adding An Ipod Jack To A '96 Ls400

vacation

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember anything about installing an ipod jack on this forum but other Lexus forums have threads - here is one: http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269156

I think these instructions require that you give up the CD player - not sure. And you must have a working CD player to make these instructions work. And play a blank CD while listening to your ipod.

I parked near another 98-00 LS400 in the Costco parking lot about a year ago and noticed that it had a sat radio mounted next to the OEM radio. The owner was getting in or out of his car and I asked him about it. He told me that an audio shop did a custom install of two jacks on his radio. His had a 3 position switch so he could switch from CD to his sat radio or ipod. I recognized the switch as being similar (I think identical) to the Soundgate switch in our Camry. I did not think to ask if he had to play a blank CD while listening to his ipod or sat radio. He told me that he did not know how it was connected. I don't know if he was embarrassed but when I asked him what it cost -- he said something like "a lot" or "way too much" and told me that the shop had to keep his car for several days while figuring out how to do it. I didn't think to ask him who did the work and I have not seen him since.

I keep thinking that if one audio shop could do something like this, then some other techno-geek at another shop could probably do it too.

It can be done and you splice into the wires for the cd changer.

The deck thinks it is getting an audio signal from the changer but the switch installed selects the ipod or sat radio. I am planning on doing the same thing to mine also. Not sure on which wires though.