Gallons Left When Gas Light Comes On

Hello and Merry Christmas to all of you,

I was driving the other day and my fuel light indicator light came on just under a quarter of a tank. This is normal and I am not worried, but when I filled up I was only able to get 15.89 gallons in when the tank holds 19 coorect? This would indicate to me the light is coming on when there is approx 3 gallons left in

the tank? If correct you should be able to run approx 60 miles once light has come on, I personally don't play that game but I just thought it was interesting that it comes on as early as it does.

Any thoughts?

JT

• 7 months later...

It really depends on what model you have.

I have a 94 GS 300, and it has a 21.1 Gallon tank or 80 litres. My Gas light Came on and I went to the station and filled her up with 60 litres. Now I was like Um......why isnt it going to 80......But I shrugged it off and when i turned my car on, it was full. So this would mean that there is a fairly significant safety net, if you should happen to have your light turn on and are in the middle of nowhere.

the 2nd generation gs which is what you have claims to have a 19.8 gallon tank i believe that to be incorrect as i have NEVER gotten more than 17.1 in my gs430 even driving it down to the 1 mile left (the factory gps will tell you how many miles you have left). so i dunno that it does have a 19 gallon tank. normally unless its BONE dry i can only get 15-16.5 gallons in it! never had more than 17.1 though! anyone wanna do some leg work and find out lol. i googled it they say 75 liters and 19.8 gallons but no way i have EVER had 19 gallons in there!

brian

You never know your limits until you push past them. This applies to gas tanks as well as many other things.

I joke with my friends when they tell me how big their gas tank is and then I ask them if they've ever run out of gas (and if not, then how do they really know they don't have a 50 gallon tank). Not for everyone, but if you really want to find out ...

I have a 91 LS400. Shortly after getting it, carrying a gas can in the trunk, driving gently around town, I let it run dry. Some info from this:

- when running dry, it will stumble, then maybe die, but can then be restarted and driven for a short distance, repeating this at least a few times. I probably got over a mile after the first stumble.

- the manual says the capacity is 22.5 gallons

- when filling it, I put in 21.3 gallons (accounting for the gas can and stopping when the gas pump clicked off)

- During the final 2.5 gallons of fuel in the tank, the gas gauge did not move AT ALL. When the last corner of the middle line of the "E" on the gauge turns from a small triangle into a dot, it has pegged and will not move further.

Of course different models/years are likely to be different, but some features of this may apply everywhere (e.g., the manual mis-stating the capacity and the gauge pegging on the low side with significant gas left).

Oldskewel

ok oldskewel this is for you B) so gas light comes on at 45 miles left (according to gps) i had a 2 gallon container filled with gas in my gf's car (im not putting that in my interior to smell up my car) anyways i was to drive till i ran out and then call her! well i started about 8:35 knowing the gas station i fill up at closed around 10. i rolled all the windows down and turned on the ac TRYING to waste gas for once! i stomped the peddle, i feathered it back and forth (i kinda wanted to see if the gps said i was negative :lol: ) anyways so it stopped at 0 miles where as about 9:45 i had gone an extra 29 miles PAST where it said i had 0 miles. i drove to the gas station being as they were about to close....i ended up putting the 2 gallons she brought me in and it brought my gps back from -27 i drove to +3 miles........ so even after it hits zero i apparently still have almost 3 gallons in..........i say this cause i put her 2 gallons in and filed up with 16.7 more gallons giving me a total of 18.8 gallons so i even had 1.1 gallons left in the tank! it amazing so i have ALMOST a 100 miles AFTER my light comes on! when i have more time i will actually find out how much i have and i will drive her till she dies! but for the most part now i do know we have at least a 18.8 gallon tanks so im thinking we do have the 19.1 also! will find out next fill up!

brian

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply - have not checked in a while.

The GPS gauge is something I'm not familiar with. Does it actually say you have -27 miles left? The logic in saying you have 0 left before you're bone dry makes sense, but ...

When you say it stopped - you mean it ran out of gas, I assume? Means the tank is empty, right? Not sure if I understand the logic on having 1.1 gallons left.

The main thing I was saying is to not believe the gauge zero or the specified tank size. Running dry is the only way to know for sure. You can also figure out any biases in your GPS's estimates when doing this.

Ed

Sorry for the late reply - have not checked in a while.

The GPS gauge is something I'm not familiar with. Does it actually say you have -27 miles left? The logic in saying you have 0 left before you're bone dry makes sense, but ...

When you say it stopped - you mean it ran out of gas, I assume? Means the tank is empty, right? Not sure if I understand the logic on having 1.1 gallons left.

The main thing I was saying is to not believe the gauge zero or the specified tank size. Running dry is the only way to know for sure. You can also figure out any biases in your GPS's estimates when doing this.

Ed

yes actually says zero. n u still have ALMOST 80-100 miles left in it. i never said u could figure it out from the gps estimates an im sure it has a sensor running into the gps as it tells me when i fill up how many miles i have left......i wanna run her BONE dry and see what it says when i fill up next time