Can You Guess What It Is?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

There is an 'all-new' car for model year 2004 that is surprisingly similar in SIZE to the first generation LS400. So much so - that it almost seems more than just a coincidence!! [although it probably is]

Can you guess what car I'm talking about??

Here are the 'stats' for the first generation LS400 and the 2004 'Mystery Car'.

Lexus LS400 [Mystery Car]

length .............196.7" [196.0"]

width................ 72.0" [72.8"]

wheelbase.......110.8" [110.2"]

front track..........61.6" [61.8"]

rear track...........61.6" [61.4"]

The 'Mystery Car' is 2.8" taller [58.5" vs 55.7"] and 232 lbs heavier. [4,090 lbs vs 3,858 lbs]

The 'Mystery Car' has the same size tires as the '93 and newer LS400's. [225/60-16's] And it even has an 'electroluminescent instrument cluster'!! [among many other features]

Before clicking on the link - see you if you can guess what the 'Mystery Car' is.

Mystery Car Road Test

Here's the link to the car's specifications. [on the manufacturer's homepage]

Standard features and Specifications

Hopefully some of you will be as amused by this as I am. I guess I'll have to re-think what I think I hear the name of the 'make' of this car!!

Craig!! :)

Ummm, it's all right but why would you spend 35K on this new when you could get a '02 LS400 with 30K on it for the same price. The slightly used Lexus has much less depreciation (mainly because of the used car factor) and better overall quality by quite a bit. I just can't see this Korean car manufacturer making a impact in the luxury car market? The V6 should be putting out much more power than 200HP for the weight of this car. 230HP is very attainable for a V6. This car is a pig with a little engine.

Personally I would buy a Hynudai Sonata or Grandeur XG before this car.

Sonata interior:

shr_sonata_bimg02.gif

Grandeur:

shr_xg_bimg01.gif

Hi ToddLS400!! :)

Good Points!! But do you want to know what's ironic.... Hyundai OWNS Kia!! [and DaimlerChrysler OWNS a significant 'chunk' of Hyundai!!]

That $35,000 MSRP is the Canadian price - by the way - so it's probably more like $28,000 or so US.

I can't see myself buying a NEW Kia anything [or Hyundai - for that matter] but USED?? Chances are that $35,000 Amanti [as unfair as it may be] will most likely be worth close to $20,000 CDN two years from now. Now that's not bad - if you ask me. And you'd still have 3 years warrantee left!!

You're right - of course - about the engine. It should make more than 200 h.p. But then again - the 'all-new' 3.5 litre V6 in the 'all-new' Chevrolet Malibu only produces 200 h.p. So maybe that's the best 'yesteday-technology' can do.

So.... were you surprised by what the Mystery Car turned out to be.

Craig!! :)

I'm with Todd !

There are V6's on much lighter cars pulling 260BHP (new Acura sport sedan). For Hyundai to have a car this heavy with such little "OOOMPH!" is sad. It would be passed on the highway by a MINI !

There's only 1 Lexus - the way Daimler Chrysler builds their Benz's today is also a joke. I'd rather have a '92 LS400 with low miles than a new S500 !

For that matter, I'd rather have an older Lexus than a newer one- just something that carmakers do to a successful car line once it has achieved "celebrity " status. They know people with buy it for the name / status and can cut corners without fear of loss in Sales. Newer Lexuses have more flash and less substance- perfect example, New RX330 - the plastic center console rattles in the '04 model ! Sheesh!

I guess I'm not a NEW car guy. It boggles the mind to watch 15-20 % fly out of your wallet the minute you drive the new car off the lot.

For those that find good quality older LS models, well done ! Your patience has been rewarded ! '97 is a good year - surpriseingly - for ALL cars. This will be my next LS400. In 2006, I'll look for a good SC430.

In 2 years, for the price of 1 new LX470, you could have excellent pre-owned Lexus-certified SC430, LS400 and RX300 if you wanted. The defence rests !

G