Gs 300 15mpg?

First of all i want to thank everyone that is taking their time to read this. I own a 99 lexus gs 300 and i have noticed that this thing is becoming a gas guzzler. I put 40 bucks in the tank, and at these prices thats about 13 gallons and i cannot seem to get more than 200-215 miles in total range. This basically equals out to 15 mpg which is horrible for these cars. I dont abuse it as a matter of fact i drive like a grandma and im only 21 becasue the darn thing is such a gas hogg. Anyone have any suggestions Are others of you out there concerned about a similar factor??

Thank You in advance,

Kenny

I get about that on my 02.. .using 93 octane, mobil one oil, 31psi tire pressure, new o2 sensors and an always clean air filter. I'm gonna replace my spark plugs soon to see if that helps. If i were you, I'd check for any possible vacuum leaks and maybe ditch any excess weight you have in your car... My driving is more "spirited" however. If i drive like a normal human with good sense and a healthy fear of losing my license I can probably squeeze 18-19mpg.

My '01 GS300 would get me 15-17mpg in the city drving it easily, and 26-27mpg with the cruise control on 80. The culprit maybe whatever is causing the heavy gas smell, like an 02 sensor for instance. Does your check engine light work? Is it on? Maybe need new spark plugs. I think one of your gearheads should chime in ;)

My '01 GS300 would get me 15-17mpg in the city drving it easily, and 26-27mpg with the cruise control on 80. The culprit maybe whatever is causing the heavy gas smell, like an 02 sensor for instance. Does your check engine light work? Is it on? Maybe need new spark plugs. I think one of your gearheads should chime in ;)

the plugs and wires are all new, and no check engine light has appeared ever on this car its in great running condition and i maintain it extremely well,

First of all i want to thank everyone that is taking their time to read this. I own a 99 lexus gs 300 and i have noticed that this thing is becoming a gas guzzler. I put 40 bucks in the tank, and at these prices thats about 13 gallons and i cannot seem to get more than 200-215 miles in total range. This basically equals out to 15 mpg which is horrible for these cars. I dont abuse it as a matter of fact i drive like a grandma and im only 21 becasue the darn thing is such a gas hogg. Anyone have any suggestions Are others of you out there concerned about a similar factor??

Thank You in advance,

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

I would have to agree something is wrong, I log my mileage and I consistently fill up when my gas gauge reaches 1/4 tank and I am always at 275-290 , miles while having a 1/4 tank left. I use Shell V Power 92 or BP 92 only, and currently have about 200 pds of salt pellets in the trunk for weight during our MN winters. BTW most of my mileage is freeway at 70 or country roads at 60 and I try and use cruise as often as possible. You may want to reset ECU and have it re-learn your driving skills at the Grandma like speeds? My car was owned by an old couple before I took ownership and you can tell by the early shifts near 2K RPMS which definitely helps when trying to conserve. Try keeping the RPMS below 3 at all times and take off real easy and let it go through the gears and see where it takes it to before shifting.

Just my .02

Best of Luck,

JT

Unplugged for a minute should be fine, no need to wait the whole night. Just remember as the ECU is relearning your driving patterns that hard accelerations = higher rpm shifts= more gas wasted... so dab on some bengay and do some good old fashion senior citizen driving.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made the trek from Northeast PA down here to Southern South Carolina....767 total miles on a little less then 2 tanks of gas! First tank I received 427 miles to the tank, 2nd one I did 242 miles on the 1st half a tank...... Not bad for a car with 142k on it! Lexus Love!

I just made the trek from Northeast PA down here to Southern South Carolina....767 total miles on a little less then 2 tanks of gas! First tank I received 427 miles to the tank, 2nd one I did 242 miles on the 1st half a tank...... Not bad for a car with 142k on it! Lexus Love!

well i unplugged the battery let the ecu reset and drove it very very very easy and still the gas mileage is dramatic, on 20 dollars of gas im lucky to get 70 miles out of it

Thank You in advance,

Kenny

Kenny,

Sounds like you need some Catalytic Converters or Oxygens Sensors or Both. I have a 99 GS-300 with 130,000 on it and I just a check engine light come on and found out that the Bank 2 Catalytic Converter is shot. I still get 350 miles on average on a tank of gas. 1/2 of the mileage is city, 1/2 is highway. When it gets cold out, I mean really cold I always warm my car up on cold mornings or when there is a heavy frost and my mileage really goes down. You might not want to hear this but try to invest in a new exhaust and this GS will run forever into the ground! It will be well worth the investment.

Kenny,

Sounds like you need some Catalytic Converters or Oxygens Sensors or Both. I have a 99 GS-300 with 130,000 on it and I just a check engine light come on and found out that the Bank 2 Catalytic Converter is shot. I still get 350 miles on average on a tank of gas. 1/2 of the mileage is city, 1/2 is highway. When it gets cold out, I mean really cold I always warm my car up on cold mornings or when there is a heavy frost and my mileage really goes down. You might not want to hear this but try to invest in a new exhaust and this GS will run forever into the ground! It will be well worth the investment.

Hey thanx for the reply, no check engine as of right now has popped up, ive owned the car for a few years and it never has but it definitely smells funny when i start it in the morning like its running very rich, One question aboutt the exhaust system how can i eliminate the cats all together and still have no problem with the check engine light??? and if you have done this, What exactly did you install on your car??

Kenny,

Hey thanx for the reply, no check engine as of right now has popped up, ive owned the car for a few years and it never has but it definitely smells funny when i start it in the morning like its running very rich, One question aboutt the exhaust system how can i eliminate the cats all together and still have no problem with the check engine light??? and if you have done this, What exactly did you install on your car??

if you eliminate the cats you can replace the 02 sensors with simulators... which are pretty much resistors in a lil plastic box.