Side Marker Conversion

Meist21

It was talked about by someone who was able to hook up the side marker lamps located right next to the driving lights on a 98. Can the person who posted the conversion post the directions? Mainly looking for wiring and how to drill out the actual lens to accept a bulb. (right now the hole is filled. Thanks much in advance. Looking to do the same thing but I cannot find the person to contact.

741721DSC04448zmfx800.jpg

Meist21 and others ....... give me a few days to put together a step-by-step procedure with parts and pictures. It's not hard and the results are well worth it.

There are definately a few tips to those who are interested ........ so hang tight for a couple of days and I'll break it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Here ya go guys and gals ..... sorry about the delay ..... my "Merry-Go-round" seems to be stuck in high gear these days ...... can anybody relate? :rolleyes:

The following mod is on a '98 LS.

Enjoy the mod and your ride.

80376937z.jpg

Remove screw and gently pry the front edge out.

80377038z.jpg

Assembly with holder installed.

80377139z.jpg

Attached to existing "sidemarker" wiring using "Quick-Connects".

80377341z.jpg

"Double contact - Single Filament" lamp holder ... ground wire unused ... polarity is not critical.

80377240z.jpg

3/4 " hole is needed for passage of bulb and insertion of lamp holder.

80377546z.jpg

This bulb provides the right amount of light ... brighter is not necessarily better.

Rather, try to match the "color temperature" of the "Fog lights" you have.

The #90 bulb matches the OEM stock bulb nicely.

810266DSC05270.jpg

If you are trying to match a "Whiter" halogen "Fog light" bulb like a Silverstar ... try the #1004 bulb.

804396DSC05182.jpg

The Quick-Connects are color-coded ... red is the right size.

804397DSC05186.JPG

The lamp-holder is "off the shelf" at Pep Boys.

804398DSC05187.JPG

The best type of bit to use to drill the 3/4" hole is a "Forstner Bit" .... available @ Home Depot.

Summary:

1 I purchased everything at Pep Boys.

2 Don't try to put a really high wattage bulb in there ... the housing is not designed to handle excessive heat.

3 I attached it to the marker-light wiring because I wanted it to be independent of the "Fog lights" and come on with the other marker lights as it gives the front end an overall increase in "Pop" or a bit more eye-catching without being garish.

Enjoy .....

Here is the finished result with the #90 bulb installed ....... and yes the HID's are ON. They are so dang white they look almost invisible. I don't mind the Amber look of the side marker light at all ...... I don't want to blind anybody but rather want to give the front end a bit more presence. Without a "shielded" bulb ...... too bright a bulb produces too much glare.

741721DSC04448zmfx800.jpg