Wind Noise

JayN

Hi proud owners of LS series -

I recently purchased a LS430. The car runs great until it hits 45 mph. For any speeds over 45 miles, the wind noise is terrible and only increases with speed :( . Appreciate any input as to why this may be happening. There is no apparent damage to the moon roof, side rear view mirrors or windshield. The car is still under original warranty, so would the dealers be warranted to take care of it?

BTW, I replaced worn Dunlops with Bridgestone Turanzas, the ride is better, but nothing else changed.

Truly appreciate your input.

Of course the dealer should take care of the problem if your car is under warranty. I don't see any TSIBs about wind noise on the 04 LS430 but I could have missed one -- only one about a water leak at the top of the rear window on vehicles with a VIN prior to JTHBN36F#40167882. That one is TSIB BO005-04.

One thing you could do is to use an inexpensive automotive stethoscope to locate the source of the noise so you could direct the dealer to the location of the problem. If you do this, I suggest you either have someone else drive or move the stethoscope around the interior.

The doors or sunroof could be out of adjustment even though they look OK. Of course, some people notice the wind noise because there is so little mechanical noise. Have you driven other LS430's to compare the noise level?

Thank you for your input. I used to drive a 91 LS, which was not as quiet, probably due to age.

Wind noise here is quite different. It is amost like the noise is switched on the moment the Lexus hits 45mph. Even casual riders have noticed it and other better informed have gone 'Whoa! what's that!'. The noise is so pronounced, it is hard to miss. Thanks again, appreciate your input.

I used to have a similar issue with a brand new, 1985 Honda Prelude.

The seals were all good, but it turned out to be a slightly misaligned driver's door.

Mine sounded like someone blowing into the top of a coke bottle, but extremely loud.

Good luck, and if its not weather stripping, have them check out the door alignment.

Thank you for your input. I used to drive a 91 LS, which was not as quiet, probably due to age.

Wind noise here is quite different. It is amost like the noise is switched on the moment the Lexus hits 45mph. Even casual riders have noticed it and other better informed have gone 'Whoa! what's that!'. The noise is so pronounced, it is hard to miss. Thanks again, appreciate your input.

You noticed this right after you had the tires replaced? Was the noise there before the tire replacement?

Anyway, you can try putting some masking tape over the door seams and moonroof (one door at a time) and test drive it in an attempt to isolate where the noise is coming from; process of elimination.

Another thought: You say the noise comes on at 45mph. I'm not wondering if the fan clutch is frozen (or the thermo mechanism is malfunctioning) and what you hear is the fan cutting the air at the RPM that correspondes to 45mph?

Note the RPM the engine is turning at at 45mph (say in D-range). Drive around in a lower gear (3rd or 2nd) and see if the noise appears at a slower speed but near the same RPM as it did when in D-range.

Nice discussion really.

Is there a chance of a successful door alignment after an accident in which returns the sound as before or even somewhere near the previous state. <_<

There was a thread earlier about wind noise that was tracked down to a bad hood seal under the trailing edge of the hood under the wiper area, maybe something simple like that. I think it was even a TSB.