Rx300 - 100,000 Mile Club

jmcohen23

Just curious to see (for anyone who has an RX300 with over 100K miles) if anyone has had any significant problems/repairs? I'm debating on keeping my car ('99 RX300, just reached 100K) or getting a new car. If the estimated annual maintanence is more than $3k/year, then I will probably be better off getting a new car. Any thoughts?

thanks.....

Just curious to see (for anyone who has an RX300 with over 100K miles) if anyone has had any significant problems/repairs? I'm debating on keeping my car ('99 RX300, just reached 100K) or getting a new car. If the estimated annual maintanence is more than $3k/year, then I will probably be better off getting a new car. Any thoughts?

thanks.....

I have a 99 rx 300 with 245K on it. The current engine has 150 K on it. The engine was replaced due to oil sludge issue which caused engine failure @ 95K. Asside from that I have had a few issues but mostly routine maintenance. See below for a lits of things I have replaced and cost - I did all labor myself.

Issues I have had: Strut mount bearing replaced

TRANSMISSION Failure @ 200K for me - 4K replacement

Lower COntrol Arms @ 230K - 500 Dollars

Ball Joints @ 240K - 100 dollars

PS Rack @ 244K - 400 dollars

Coils - Replaced 4 of them so far - 75 each

O2 sensors - 100 each approx.

Exhaust Gasket - 30

Battery - 100

Bearings - 100 each

Lights - bulbs only

Transaxle seals - 65 each - seals transmission fluid at cv insertion

Other then the transmission, most of the things I have replaced are normal wear and tear for vehicles. I have gooten over 200K in mikage before I had to replace any major parts. The tranny will go out almost gauranteed unless you have regularly flushed it etc. That is the only red flag really. All and all, I have spent about 10K over the past two years to replace thigns - mind you I DID ALL THE LABOR. At this point I have spent too much to sell it, might as well drive it until it fails. It has been a good vehicle espeecially considering the milage I have on it.

thanks.....

I have a 99 rx 300 with 245K on it. The current engine has 150 K on it. The engine was replaced due to oil sludge issue which caused engine failure @ 95K. Asside from that I have had a few issues but mostly routine maintenance. See below for a lits of things I have replaced and cost - I did all labor myself.

Exhaust Gasket - 30

Battery - 100

Bearings - 100 each

Lights - bulbs only

Other then the transmission, most of the things I have replaced are normal wear and tear for vehicles. I have gooten over 200K in mikage before I had to replace any major parts. The tranny will go out almost gauranteed unless you have regularly flushed it etc. That is the only red flag really. All and all, I have spent about 10K over the past two years to replace thigns - mind you I DID ALL THE LABOR. At this point I have spent too much to sell it, might as well drive it until it fails. It has been a good vehicle espeecially considering the milage I have on it.

thanks TJMC11; wish I could hire you to do the work on mine.

I get my car checked out twice a year (once just before winter, and then again in the spring time), and the dealership will usually tell me when something is about to break (in which I usually go with their recommendation or get a 2nd estimate depending on the cost). But from it what it sounds like from this whole forum is that the car should last me at least until 200k so long as I treat it properly and get it checked out regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks.....

I've got 105kMi on my 00 and aside from normal maintenance I've "only" had to replace 2 coils, replace the antenna shaft (cable broke) and do the IACV cleaning once. I live with the drivers door lock actuator that only works sporadically. Other than that all seems well.

thanks.....

Exhaust Gasket - 30

Battery - 100

Bearings - 100 each

Lights - bulbs only

I also do all my own work on my 99 RX AWD. I have 145k on it and it needs all 4 struts. Do you recommend that I just go ahead and replace the front upper strut mounts? How much were they and is it just a simple repair as it looks to be?

Thanks!

I also do all my own work on my 99 RX AWD. I have 145k on it and it needs all 4 struts. Do you recommend that I just go ahead and replace the front upper strut mounts? How much were they and is it just a simple repair as it looks to be?

Thanks!

I had the stut mounts replaced on mine at around 80K, and it cost about $700 (in Maryland).

The strut mounts cost less than $65 apiece. I would take them to an independent and get it done a lot cheaper. The KYB GR2 struts themselves cost around $110 so parts wise not great, but not bad. The KYB are closest to the original if not the origanal manufacturor.

I now have 121K on my 2001 RX AWD. I usually buy a new car by this time but the RX is still feels like a new car with very little maintenance to date. I think I will hang in there a while longer even with the sludge and trans possibilities. Plus I really don't like the style of the new RX. Now if Lexus gets a version of the Rav4 things could change.

Service so far:

Brakes twice. Just pads first time. Pads and resurface rotors second time.

Tires twice. Cross Terrains both times and will use again when due.

"D" light out on dash. Need to get to that someday.

PIAA wiper blades once.

Replace some bulbs (side marker, center mount brake light, Tail light)

Replace battery with one from Costco.

Timing belt @ 90K Done by Toyota dealer. No Water Pump.

Everything else has been fluids and filters. I am a little overdue on the plugs but will get to them soon.