Buying A 91' Ls400 .... Soon To Be A Ls400 Owner Again...

90LS400Lexus

Hopefully I will soon be a LS400 owner again. I have decided to buy the 1991 LS400 I was asking about before that has the "low coolant" light illuminated. We negotiated and settled on a price ($3200). I have yet to contact him and tell him I will take it if he does not sell it before I get the money down to him. I will have to pay an additional $345 shipping, but I will still be paying less than $3600 for the car. He is going to provide the sensor that the coolant tank needs. Around 10K ago, the timing belt was replaced at a Lexus dealer, so thats a plus... A/C blows cold, etc. Only other known problem is that the HVAC panel is blacked out (no suprise right?) :rolleyes:. It is a 2-owner car- owner #2 has owned it since 8000 miles.

I know that it may still be a little steep for a 91' with 208K, with the shipping, but its looking really bleak locally. Just not many Gen 1 LS400s around here and when you do find one, its never below $5K. For some reason, imported luxury cars are really $$$$ around here. I really would have liked to have had no more than $3K invested, but sometimes you have to pay more for something that you really want. I checked and NADA high is still $5700 and even KBB PPV in GC is showing $4300 in GC. I NEVER got a response from that person with the local 93' for $3600... I am assuming it sold very fast. There is a 94' LS about 100 miles SW of here for $4995, with 165K, but the panel on the lower passenger side dash is sagging and for some reason, the passenger airbag panel looks a little wavy on the lower corner. I was told that it could be that the airbag may have deployed before.:unsure:

Hopefully someone can tell me that I am making a good move. :)

Thanks again for all of the advice in the previous threads.

Hopefully I will soon be a LS400 owner again. I have decided to buy the 1991 LS400 I was asking about before that has the "low coolant" light illuminated. We negotiated and settled on a price ($3200). I have yet to contact him and tell him I will take it if he does not sell it before I get the money down to him. I will have to pay an additional $345 shipping, but I will still be paying less than $3600 for the car. He is going to provide the sensor that the coolant tank needs. Around 10K ago, the timing belt was replaced at a Lexus dealer, so thats a plus... A/C blows cold, etc. Only other known problem is that the HVAC panel is blacked out (no suprise right?) :rolleyes:. It is a 2-owner car- owner #2 has owned it since 8000 miles.

I know that it may still be a little steep for a 91' with 208K, with the shipping, but its looking really bleak locally. Just not many Gen 1 LS400s around here and when you do find one, its never below $5K. For some reason, imported luxury cars are really $$$$ around here. I really would have liked to have had no more than $3K invested, but sometimes you have to pay more for something that you really want. I checked and NADA high is still $5700 and even KBB PPV in GC is showing $4300 in GC. I NEVER got a response from that person with the local 93' for $3600... I am assuming it sold very fast. There is a 94' LS about 100 miles SW of here for $4995, with 165K, but the panel on the lower passenger side dash is sagging and for some reason, the passenger airbag panel looks a little wavy on the lower corner. I was told that it could be that the airbag may have deployed before.:unsure:

Hopefully someone can tell me that I am making a good move. :)

Thanks again for all of the advice in the previous threads.

Another item to check out is the rack and pinon sterring assembly. About every 90K is will start to leak and when cold the steeering will develop a slight resistance until it warms up. This is a known problem with the earlier LS400. Other items to check out are temp LCD, sub woofer speaker and door handles. Good luck, I have 220K miles on mine and enjoyed it every day.

You seem fairly confident it's in good enough shape. If it's mechanically sound, it may be the best deal you'll find in your area. If you're sure there's no way to go pick it up yourself, then I suppose you have to treat it as a calculated risk. Or, if you're the cautious type, maybe you can arrange to have a Toyota or Lexus dealer examine it for you, at your expense, before you buy. I doubt it's going to sell at that price before you can pay, with those miles, so you ought to have some leverage. But that's pure guess.

Thanks. Well, I wish I could check it out better personally, but the car is in central Georgia and I am in northern Tennessee (6 hours drive) and cannot get away right now. He assures me though that the car has absolutely no leaks at all and that the car has been extremely well maintained and serviced. The car was on ebay and he has 100% feedback, so that helps build my confidence a little. I used to own a 1990 LS400 about 3 years ago, and was very familair with the "blackening" LCD's and unfortunately, this 91' has that issue as well. I had developed that issue on mine. I never had any steering issues however, even when I sold it at 252K.

Another item to check out is the rack and pinon sterring assembly. About every 90K is will start to leak and when cold the steeering will develop a slight resistance until it warms up. This is a known problem with the earlier LS400. Other items to check out are temp LCD, sub woofer speaker and door handles. Good luck, I have 220K miles on mine and enjoyed it every day.

Yeah, well, as mentioned, it was on ebay and he has 100% feedback, so that helps a little. Everytime I buy a used car, its a calculated risk, because I do not know that much about them anyway. lol. I do know however when a tranny is not shifting right, or if the engine is blown, etc. I am pretty sure I may buy it... I am supposed to let him know soon.

I did find another LS400, a 1995 that is in Alabama for $5000. It has 203K, black on black and in VGC. I would have to pay shipping though and more taxes and I really wanted to keep my entire purchase price less than $4000, which is what buying the 91' LS in GA will come to after shipping/taxes. The 95' LS in AL will come to about $6200 after all of that. <_<

Oh, also I did find a local 1991 LS400, with 69K actual miles. Its at a local Chrysler-Jaguar dealership. Someone had traded it in. I called and he said they were asking $10,900, but I could get it alot cheaper than that... well, I should hope so. Its probably a $6500 car. Strange thing is that despite the low miles, I noticed on the dash photo of the car that the tach needle light is already burning out at the end. These things must be more of a age thing, rather than mileage thing...??

Thanks again.

You seem fairly confident it's in good enough shape. If it's mechanically sound, it may be the best deal you'll find in your area. If you're sure there's no way to go pick it up yourself, then I suppose you have to treat it as a calculated risk. Or, if you're the cautious type, maybe you can arrange to have a Toyota or Lexus dealer examine it for you, at your expense, before you buy. I doubt it's going to sell at that price before you can pay, with those miles, so you ought to have some leverage. But that's pure guess.

eBay feedback is very useful, I think, especially if there's a lot of it, though you have to read the comments to get a fuller picture. You've talked to the owner too, which can give you some idea how reliable he is. Ask the owner about the things allgood mentioned, if you haven't already. Sounds like the car for you and your budget--if nothing new comes up, go for it. (Then, if it dies in your driveway next week, blame us!)

I'm more concerned about the suspension. If you are not mechanically inclined you are going to spend a couple of thousand at least at a shop getting all the bushings, bearings, control arms, etc. replaced.

These cars are only lexus quality when these have been kept up. Also make sure you completely removed the parking brake when it comes off the trailer. The rear can lock up and when you get to speed the car will vibrate like a paint mixer.

This happened to me once after getting it detailed and now I tell the valets and such to not engage the parking brake. It is an automatic so no worries unless you are parking on the side of a cliff! LOL.

I'd definitely have a mechanic check the suspension before buying so you can get the price a lot lower if it is bad. <_<

Trust is earned and you do not know the seller so watch out and be suspicious.

Well, he said that the PO has kept the maintainence extremely up to date. He even had a new timing belt/water pump installed @ the dealer before he sold it, right near the interval for change. He said there was no clunking with the suspension. Even if that became an issue, I have a mechanic that works on foreign cars that is extremely reasonable. He installed a steering sector seal in my old 1985 Mercedes for only $50 and this was a very difficult job. Thanks for the tips.

I'm more concerned about the suspension. If you are not mechanically inclined you are going to spend a couple of thousand at least at a shop getting all the bushings, bearings, control arms, etc. replaced.

These cars are only lexus quality when these have been kept up. Also make sure you completely removed the parking brake when it comes off the trailer. The rear can lock up and when you get to speed the car will vibrate like a paint mixer.

This happened to me once after getting it detailed and now I tell the valets and such to not engage the parking brake. It is an automatic so no worries unless you are parking on the side of a cliff! LOL.

I'd definitely have a mechanic check the suspension before buying so you can get the price a lot lower if it is bad. <_<

Trust is earned and you do not know the seller so watch out and be suspicious.

Thanks Omar. I would appreciate that, but I need to see what I am going to do with another I found. I actually already told the guy with the 91' that I wanted it if I can get my loan to go through on a car of this age. Unfortunately, I have spent all of my assets on a couple of "classic" cars. I would love to have a car checked out, but I feel like I may be "insulting" him after I told him I would buy it. It would be nice to know though.

I did reply to that craigslist ad you posted to me. I got a very vague response.

I am not sure if its a better deal, but I found a 1996 LS400 at another Lexus dealer (not my local dealer). This dealer is about 120 miles away. They had it on ebay, but it did not meet reserve. I contacted them and she said they would sell it for $7000 "out the door". I am assuming this means with the state tax included. It has 188K, so it seems kinda steep to me, but the car is in pristine condition and always serviced at the dealer... the t-belt was last changed @ 91K and most recently @ 169K, which was a little before it was even due.

Here is a photo of the car... (the $7K car)

JT8BH22F1T0056224-1.jpg

Here is the other LS400... this one is a 1995 - I can get it for $5K, but it has 203K and I would have to pay about $400 shipping, then taxes, so I can get this one for about $1000 less out the door, but he has not got back with the last timing belt change mileage...

285e_12.JPG

hey dude! do you want me to go check out that ls400 for you? cumming is not far from atlanta athens area. i know ls400's man. we own 4. and my good friend has one too so, i'm very familar wth them.

did you ever call about this LS? http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/477844683.html i sent you a pm

oh ok, well if there are any ls400's in ATL area that you're interested in buying just shoot me a message. I'll take a look at it. why would you pay taxes on the black car. looks like a private owner.

the gold LS seems like a better deal (still steep) but who's gonna give you a loan on a 11 year old car with almost 200k? i would stay with a clean 1st gen for less than half the price. Is the LS gonna be a daily driver?

Thanks! I will keep that in mind! There seems to be alot of LS's in the Atlanta area! Probably 90% more than there are here and we are a large metro area... just not as large as Atlanta! :)

Oh, on the black car, when I mentioned the taxes, I was referring to the state taxes I will have to pay here when I get the car registered into my name and get the license plates. Not sure about other states, but here in TN, you have to pay taxes to the state on the amount of the car you purchased. Crazy I know. I think once taxes are paid on a NEW car, that should be it.

I agree... the 96's price is too steep. I offered her $6K, which I think is still too high. Its no problem on the loan though... my credit union will loan up to high NADA retail on any car of any age/mileage. My bank does as well. About 2 years ago, I bought a 1992 Acura Legend with 195K and the bank loaned me the money, but it was a personal loan.. I did not put the car up for collateral.

There was a fairly local 94' LS400 for $4000 listed on our local Craigslist, but I cannot get a reply. Probably a scam. :unsure:

Yeah, the LS I buy will be a daily driver. The more I think about it, the more I think I should just stick with my original decision and get the 91' LS for $4K.

Thanks again!

oh ok, well if there are any ls400's in ATL area that you're interested in buying just shoot me a message. I'll take a look at it. why would you pay taxes on the black car. looks like a private owner.

the gold LS seems like a better deal (still steep) but who's gonna give you a loan on a 11 year old car with almost 200k? i would stay with a clean 1st gen for less than half the price. Is the LS gonna be a daily driver?

Well, the $6K offer on the 96' was obviously declined, as I did not get a reply. <_<

I did hear back from the guy with the black 95' LS400. He said that the timing belt was last changed @ 126K and it has 203K now, so it will not be long before another is in order. The car will be $5K, shipping $395 and around $460 in state taxes/registering, taking that one to near $6K all told. THEN, the t-belt in about 10K-20K. He said he can get it done for about $400. My local dealer quoted me around that on a gen 1 LS400 t-belt change. I am assuming that gen 2 would be the same?

The 91' is the one I think I may get. I told the owner I wanted it and I am supposed to make the arrangements next week. Its $3200 for the car, $345 shipping and about $296 in taxes, taking that one to near $3900. <_< - which is $1100 less than the 95' which still will soon need a t-belt. The 91' has just had this completed around 10K ago. Everything on the 91' is stated to be in perfect order, mechanically.

The 95' is definitely a nice and stunning car, but I am not sure if I like it $2100 more. :blink:

Usually a good idea to replace the water pump when the timing belt is done. Apparently there's some controversy about whether the 95-97s have interference engines, but if they do, then it's probably an even better idea to do the water pump too (as, if I understand right, a seized pump will break your timing belt and probably bend valves, etc.). So the 95 would cost even more, in that case.

Ew, if thats the case, I do not want the 1995. I was always under the impression that the 95-97s were also "non-interference" and that it was not until 1998, on the "VVT-i" or "VVT" engines? that they became interference. I hate interference engines. That was one reason I sold my Toyota Tundra V8. It had a 4.7K V8, that was silky smooth. Reminded me alot of my LS400.

Usually a good idea to replace the water pump when the timing belt is done. Apparently there's some controversy about whether the 95-97s have interference engines, but if they do, then it's probably an even better idea to do the water pump too (as, if I understand right, a seized pump will break your timing belt and probably bend valves, etc.). So the 95 would cost even more, in that case.

It looks like I am getting the 91' LS. Likely making the deal tomorrow. $3200 for the car and $345 shipping. I just hope she is a good one. I know that seems kinda steep, but it did just have a $1200 service at a Lexus dealer (timing belt, all fluids/filters changed, etc), so I keep thinking its like I am getting the car for $2000. :D

I am not sure how long it will take the transport co. to get the car here, but I will post photos as soon as I get her home!

BTW - that black 95' LS I was interested in was on ebay... it sold for a lousy $4250. !!! Oh well.

Thanks again for all of the replies/tips!

Too bad I didn't see this thread sooner but I have been driving a lot lately. I looked at a 1992 LS400 (silver) with 170,000 on it and it was prety nice. The guy was asking $4700 but indicated he would take less. It was a pretty nice car but I wanted something newer since I already have the vintage. I believe it is still for sale. It was in the autotrader for virginia beach still last time I checked. Another good place to find fine Lexus automobiles is on Craigslist. Mine is the Hampton Roads Virgina one which is where I originally saw the car.

Hey VB... hows it going? I read your thread over on the "engine cleaning".. thanks for that tip! The Lexus I am buying looks like yours... its a 1991 LS400, pearl white w/tan interior. I should be getting it next week, as I am having it transported up here from Atlanta.

I am going to post photos as soon as I get her and get her cleaned up a bit. I know that I need to paint the rear bumper... the paint has faded off and its yellow. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 90. Glad to hear you found a car. Since I know you know what you are doing, I am sure you will have it squared up in no time. I also have my LS back since I broke down and bout my wife an ES as she works in New York now and I wanted her to have a newer car. I found a beautiful silver ES330 (2004) with only 23,000 miles on it. I did the K&N and replaced the tires since they wer aboput 1/2 worn. I detailed the whole thing and put 4 coats of Collinite Insulator wax on it and rolled it up to her. I picked up the LS and brought that home. I have to say though, after putting about 1000 miles on the ES330, I will say that my 90 LS drives better. I have been doing some cleaning and replaced a couple bulbs that were out.

Sure is nice to have my baby back. I couldn;'t believe how fast my wife scarfed it up after I bought it.

Thanks VBD... I guess I need to change my username to "91LS400Lexus" - LOL. Nah, I will just keep my "90" name since I have had it so long. lol.

Yeah, I hope the car is as good as I am imagining it is. It was virtually a 1-owner car and from what I understand, has been extremely well maintained.... the recent timing belt/water pump from Lexus is a nice addition. I need to get the bumper painted ASAP, as some of the paint has faded off and its ugly yellow underneath. My cousin owns a body repair shop and I can get him to paint it cheaply for me I think. I had to end up paying $50 more for shipping than I originally thought for some reason. I cannot wait to get her home and start detailing. I know of a couple of small issues that need attention - like the coolant level sensor and the power antenna.

Glad to hear you got your LS back... the ES you bought your wife sounds like a very nice automobile.

Hey 90. Glad to hear you found a car. Since I know you know what you are doing, I am sure you will have it squared up in no time. I also have my LS back since I broke down and bout my wife an ES as she works in New York now and I wanted her to have a newer car. I found a beautiful silver ES330 (2004) with only 23,000 miles on it. I did the K&N and replaced the tires since they wer aboput 1/2 worn. I detailed the whole thing and put 4 coats of Collinite Insulator wax on it and rolled it up to her. I picked up the LS and brought that home. I have to say though, after putting about 1000 miles on the ES330, I will say that my 90 LS drives better. I have been doing some cleaning and replaced a couple bulbs that were out.

Sure is nice to have my baby back. I couldn;'t believe how fast my wife scarfed it up after I bought it.

yeah, you can't go changing your name now. Hey, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of the new car. I have mine backed into the garage since I was just changing a tailight bulb. AT least I thought it was thebulb since one brake light didin't illuminat all the time and my dash indicator was on. Turns out one of the contacts in the socket was lower than the other and not making contact. I thought about what to do and tried popping the contact up but to no avail. I figured out which contact on the bulb was the one that corresponded with the brake light and used needle nosed pliers to squeeze the contact on the bulb forcing it upward. Worked like a charm and when I inserted thebulb, it worked properly. I put a new headlight and foglight bulb in last night so all my lights are in order. I alos detailed the car of course and since I always keep it waxed, it still looks great.

I have a very few places (stone chip size) on my front bumper where the yellow shows through. Next year I am painting the whole lower (silver) portion to match the white on the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking to buy a LS400. The choice is a 1995 for 6999 CADs plus 14%tax or a 1991 LS400 for 3900 CAD plus 14% tax. The mileage is around 260,000 Kms. I know that the 1995 has some changes from the 1991 but do not know if there is a big difference.

I would love to have the opinion of you guys. Is the 95 worth the 6999 CAD?

Thank you

I am also looking to buy a LS400. The choice is a 1995 for 6999 CADs plus 14%tax or a 1991 LS400 for 3900 CAD plus 14% tax. The mileage is around 260,000 Kms. I know that the 1995 has some changes from the 1991 but do not know if there is a big difference.

I would love to have the opinion of you guys. Is the 95 worth the 6999 CAD?

Thank you

Well, I went with the 91' and I am happy, despite the lack of upgrades the 95's have. I was especially happy when I starting hearing that the 95' had an interference engine, though some say otherwise. It will depend upon a lot on the conditions, maintainence, etc. Good luck!