Maintenance/transmission Question

jgr7

Just did my 60k maintenance and the scheduled maintenance log book mentions that at the 60k miles or 48 months service the torque sensing type LSD oil should be changed. What is this? Also I have seen you guys talk about when you change the trans fluid you also open the 10 mm plug just behind the trans pan to get another qt of fluid out. Just what is this other part that is being drained? The manual mentions 4.1 qt for four-wheel drive. Transfer case gets 1 qt of Hypoid gear oil either 80wt or 90wt depending on temp of operation. The differential gets 1qt of the hypoid oil also. The 60k also mentions to change the trans, diff, and transfer case oil if the vehicle is primarily operated while towing a trailer or using a car top carrier.

What are your thoughts.

Jeff

The plug behind the transmission is also part of the transaxle. It will take 4.1 qts. to fill after doing a drain and fill. The fluid you add will go to the area of that rear plug...so dont sweat it being dry. By the way this is on the AWD RX ..The transfer case and rear axle differential both take .946 qts. each..I suggest using a full synthetic in these...Do not put Tranny fluid in these. look here. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300how2/index.html

The two differentials use 80/90 weight rear end fluid. I would do synthetic...

Just did my 60k maintenance and the scheduled maintenance log book mentions that at the 60k miles or 48 months service the torque sensing type LSD oil should be changed. What is this? Also I have seen you guys talk about when you change the trans fluid you also open the 10 mm plug just behind the trans pan to get another qt of fluid out. Just what is this other part that is being drained? The manual mentions 4.1 qt for four-wheel drive. Transfer case gets 1 qt of Hypoid gear oil either 80wt or 90wt depending on temp of operation. The differential gets 1qt of the hypoid oil also. The 60k also mentions to change the trans, diff, and transfer case oil if the vehicle is primarily operated while towing a trailer or using a car top carrier.

What are your thoughts.

Jeff

The viscous clutch assembly is hermetically sealed and therefore the VC fluid cannot be changed absent remove/replace the entire VC sub-assembly.

The fluid in the PTO, Power Take Off, assembly can be changed but now I have to go review my '01 owners manual because I don't remember such a notation.

My '01 transaxle/diff'l drain required a 5 quart ATF refill.

I will clarify, the plug behind the transmission is part of the transmission. The fluid added to the dipstick goes to both.

go here and go to thread number 78 for the two plugs on the tranny....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...0061&page=6

This same thread has some great pictures of doing the front and rear differential hypoid oil changes also...