Coolant Leak

yidaitianjiaous

well, i had a tune up last week, turns out my 92 ls400 (166k) need a new water pump or something. coolant leaking and i can see coolant flowing down the ducts underneath the car. not sure if it's pump problems or any cracks somewhere. Any way to fix it without taking the car apart, such as mending stuff?

maybe i aslo need a power steering pump. if i can DIY!!

There is no "mending stuff" that will fix a leaking water pump. Normally, the water pump is replaced every 90,000 miles when the timing belt is replaced. How long has it been since the water pump and timing belt has been replaced?

The gen 1 water pump had a design flaw - the original water pump on my 90 LS failed at low mileage. I distinctly remember a Lexus dealer employee telling me that a Toyota van full of Japanese guys came to collect my failed water pump while my car was kept for about one week.

If your water pump has ever been replaced then it is of an improved design that will not fail quite as soon.

It is very important to use the proper Toyota/Lexus coolant even if you live in a warm climate like L.A. The coolant acts as a lubricant and usually makes the water pump last far longer.

If you search this forum I think you will find a thread or two on rebuilding the power steering pump - the other great flaw of the gen 1 LS400. I must have gone through 4 or 5 power steering pumps during the almost 14 years I had my gen 1 LS. This website has a tutorial on rebuilding the power steering pump: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/pspumprebuild.html

check around the thermostat with some cue-tips, rub the seal and see if it's leaking. Usually, if the leak is dripping the engine, the seal around the thermostat is the #1 place to start. Or, they did not properly clean the seal area of the waterpump, and possible debrie is stuck in there creating a leak. But check the thermostat first. Just follow the top hose of the radiator to the engine, on the top driver's side. You'll see it. I had this too a couple years ago, thought it was the pump too...but it turned out to be the thermostat seal.