Help Me Out Guys.. Which Would You Choose... ?

90LS400Lexus

I am considering (highly) two LS400s. One is a 1991 w/208K for $3400 and the other is a 1994 w/218K for $3400 as well.

The 91' had a recent timing belt change @ the dealer and was totally serviced. Really needs nothing else but the rear bumper painted (fading), and the coolant level sensor is bad. White car w/tan interior.

The 94' had the last t-belt @ 149K and it has 218K now. Needs tires and the "power tilt" does not work all the way. Pearl white w/tan interior and has the wheels with the fewer "slots".

I would have to have the 91' transported, which is an additional $375. The owner of the 94' is willing to deliver.

Here is a "poor" photo of the 91' and one of the 94'. Just having trouble trying to decide which one. I know that the 94 has more "updates" and its a little lower in price, but its got more miles and not as up to date on service as the 91' is....

I can also get a nearly MINT 1993 for $5300 (with shipping). Its silver and has 149K.

Thanks!

The 1991...

17f4_1.JPG

And the 1994...

http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/bf/f0/6e74_12.JPG

And the 1993...

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/4407/2348222_2.jpg

(I really like this one!)

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/4407/2348222_19.jpg

as expensive as these cars are to service, and taking into consideration how long a well maintained LS can go "see Blake918", the recently serviced 91' is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Are you sure the 93 is nearly mint? If so, I'd make an offer on it based on the edmunds.com price and see what the seller does. Don't think I'd pay the asking price, though, unless it's really special somehow. Looks clean in the photos, but you really have too see it to be sure. (If it's from a dealer, he probably has no clue about the history of the car, and will probably not accept a reasonable offer.)

The prices on the others seem too high too, and might be open to offers based on Edmunds. You might want to pay more than the Edmunds price, though, if you really like the car. Most folks on Lexus discussion boards seem to find the Edmunds price low, and the Kelley price way high.

Between the two higher mileage ones, I'd go for the one with the more recent service.

I assume you've carfaxed them. Mileage readings on older LS's are sometimes reset to a happier figure when the instrument cluster is repaired or replaced.

Not sure if the 93' is indeed mint, but as stated by the owner it is, but you know how that goes. :)

I just heard from the owner of the 1994 LS400 and he said they would take $3000 for the car and deliver it. That seems pretty fair for a pretty nice 94' LS. T-belt was changed @ 149K, it has 214K now, so I know it will not be long before thats needed again, but the car is pretty cheap. It needs new tires- they "cupped" because the car was not in alignment. Everything else stated to be in perfect working order.

That 94 is an anniversary edition. go with that one.

I'm gonna get flamed but... i wouldn't change the timing belt till it breaks on my car. If you keep good anti-freeze and do regular flushes you rolly wont need to worry about the water pump either. If i ain't broke... dont fix it. That 94 is gorgeous. Those wheels fill out the wheel wells nicely too.

My dad and i picked one up just like your 94 for my mom back in may. Her's was a one owner. only 143k. got it for 3k. BUT it had been wrecked before, the rear bumper needs a respray and it needed a major tune up. ( coolant flush,wires,plugs,caps,rotors,thermostat) and some rear carrier bushings. I love th car. the color is a silvery pearl white. stunning! She loves her car too. And the interior is 99% perfect. It had 5 brand new michelins too!

So i think the 94 is your best bet. Its the prettiest too and looks like it has 50k on it. not 200k+

my 93 just turned 240k and some pulleys seized and broke the serpentine belt. Otherwise no probs in 30k rough miles

Thanks Omar.. I did not realize that the 94' was an anniversary edition. What was it, like the 5th year anniversary or something? Actually, I am not very fond of those wheels. I was thinking if that if I bought the car, I would like to go with the standard wheels that the 93-94s had. I am sure I could sell these? It needs new tires, so this is something I would probably do straight away. I am supposed to let him know something tomorrow. He said the car needed shocks (not sure what that means - he said it was not bouncy or firm, but he could just tell it needed them), but it does not have the air suspension, so its not that $. I had em' replaced on my 90' and they were only like $50 each. I think for $3K, it would make a nice work car. Cant even buy a early 90s Accord for that around here.

Oh, the local Jaguar dealer has a 1991 LS400 (trade-in) with 63K actual miles. LIKE NEW. I am going to call and see how much they want for that one... probably well out of my price range. LOL. Strange, but even at 63K, the tach needle is already 1/2 way burned out. :( LCD for radio/HVAC still looks perfect though.

Thanks again.

I'm gonna get flamed but... i wouldn't change the timing belt till it breaks on my car. If you keep good anti-freeze and do regular flushes you rolly wont need to worry about the water pump either. If i ain't broke... dont fix it. That 94 is gorgeous. Those wheels fill out the wheel wells nicely too.

My dad and i picked one up just like your 94 for my mom back in may. Her's was a one owner. only 143k. got it for 3k. BUT it had been wrecked before, the rear bumper needs a respray and it needed a major tune up. ( coolant flush,wires,plugs,caps,rotors,thermostat) and some rear carrier bushings. I love th car. the color is a silvery pearl white. stunning! She loves her car too. And the interior is 99% perfect. It had 5 brand new michelins too!

So i think the 94 is your best bet. Its the prettiest too and looks like it has 50k on it. not 200k+

my 93 just turned 240k and some pulleys seized and broke the serpentine belt. Otherwise no probs in 30k rough miles

go for the 93, or the 94...just beacuse, all other things being basically equal, the brakes are way better post 92, the original brakes 89-92 were undersized, 93's are bigger and better, plus my 92's odo died at 238,xxx, whereas the 93's use a digital odo that doesnt break....

if i could do it agian(and i may) id look hard for a very good 93+...

good luck and let us know what you do...

Thanks Omar.. I did not realize that the 94' was an anniversary edition. What was it, like the 5th year anniversary or something? Actually, I am not very fond of those wheels. I was thinking if that if I bought the car, I would like to go with the standard wheels that the 93-94s had. I am sure I could sell these? It needs new tires, so this is something I would probably do straight away. I am supposed to let him know something tomorrow. He said the car needed shocks (not sure what that means - he said it was not bouncy or firm, but he could just tell it needed them), but it does not have the air suspension, so its not that $. I had em' replaced on my 90' and they were only like $50 each. I think for $3K, it would make a nice work car. Cant even buy a early 90s Accord for that around here.

Oh, the local Jaguar dealer has a 1991 LS400 (trade-in) with 63K actual miles. LIKE NEW. I am going to call and see how much they want for that one... probably well out of my price range. LOL. Strange, but even at 63K, the tach needle is already 1/2 way burned out. :( LCD for radio/HVAC still looks perfect though.

Thanks again.

Dude if you get the 94 anniversary edition, i'll trade my regular wheels for those wheels. Or just outright buy em. i'd rather trade though, easier for both of us. I could meet you at a sam's club and we could both get new tires, and new(to us) rims. whatdya think?

That sounds good to me if I were to buy the car... I actually have TWO Sam's Clubs within 20 miles of my house.. one is 11 miles and one is 22 miles. :) IF you would want to come this far to get the wheels that is... :)

I am supposed to talk to the owner of that car this evening or tomorrow evening. I think if I can get him to deliver it for no more than $150, I will do it. I mean, the car needs tires and the timing belt will be due in about 20-40K miles.

There is one thing about the car that concerns me... after reviewing the photos, on the engine photo, I see some unusual "free/exposed" electrical wires below the "air flow sensor" that I have not noticed on other LS400s. I have posted a photo of that cars engine here on this post and circled the wires with a yellow circle. I have asked the owner in an email about them and requested another photo. I am hoping there was not an electrical issue there. Most other LS's I have seen have wires there, but they are neatly taped up.... I have no clue though, as I have seen a couple of others with those wires exposed... any clues??? Thanks!

Dude if you get the 94 anniversary edition, i'll trade my regular wheels for those wheels. Or just outright buy em. i'd rather trade though, easier for both of us. I could meet you at a sam's club and we could both get new tires, and new(to us) rims. whatdya think?

post-4085-1195086560_thumb.jpg