So Many Transmission Fluids, So Little Knowledge!

tomyy

Does every major car manufacturer need their own special brand of Tranny fluid?

I tried to find T-IIII at a couple of auto parts stores but all they had was ATF+4, is that the same? The label said it was for Chryslers.

Then the third store I went to said to use Valvoline Max Life 75000 DEX/MERC. It Say's it's recommended for Toyota's using T, T-III, & T-IV.

So that's what I put in. So I'm reading in these forums that T-IV and Dexron are not compatible. Since the Max Life label Say's DEX/MERC did I put in 2 quarts of the wrong fluid?

Can someone please make sense of it all!!!

You should stick to the Toyota Type IV. I would go ahead and do another drain and refill. And if your tranny fluid isn't red/pink and dark then I would continue to do drain and refills every oil change until it cleans up. Some members have had bad luck with tranny flushes.

You should stick to the Toyota Type IV. I would go ahead and do another drain and refill. And if your tranny fluid isn't red/pink and dark then I would continue to do drain and refills every oil change until it cleans up. Some members have had bad luck with tranny flushes.

I would worry more about smell then color.

Toyota fluid is over pimped/priced.

You can use Amsoil; cheaper fluid, better all around and lasts a long long time! I love the stuff!