Noisy Exhaust

epw

Taking in my 2001 RX 300 to have the recently very noisy exhaust checked. Only loud on acceleration otherwise runs great as always. 72K miles. Never had any problems at all with it.

Wondering possible scenarios & costs so I'm armed when I get to the dealer and don't get 'taken'......??

probably the flex coupling coming down from the exhaust manifold to the front of the converter. The flex cracks and makes things kind of noisy. I suggest you go to a muffler shop. I did and they put in a new flex joint for around $100 total...which is a lot cheaper than the stealership would charge. if not the flex the spring loaded coupling in front of the catalytic converter that has a gasket that leaks, The gasket is spared and can be replaced.

Actually the aftermarket flex coupling is a better design, has a wire mesh covering and has been in my car for 5 years with no problems. Do agree though check the dog bone engine mount, it is on top of the engine to the firewall.

The original is supposed to have a wire mesh covering as well ? Are you sure the one you changed was an original ? It is rare to see an aftermarket intermediate or y pipe as well made as OEM. Possible but rare. If you can hold one end of the pipe and the replacement one has the other end flop down it is cheap. If it will hold straight then it atleast has a good spring and coupling

My original did not have the wire mesh, The car was manufactured in September of 1998. But the replacement is a accordian inside the wire mesh.

The original is supposed to have a wire mesh covering as well ? Are you sure the one you changed was an original ? It is rare to see an aftermarket intermediate or y pipe as well made as OEM. Possible but rare. If you can hold one end of the pipe and the replacement one has the other end flop down it is cheap. If it will hold straight then it atleast has a good spring and coupling

First, I believe, ABSOLUTELY, that aftermarket products are always more robust and/or of better quality than the OEM products.

OEM products are selected almost EXCLUSIVELY on price whereas the aftermarket products must be COMPETIVE on more than price.

But having said that I don't see the advantage of a mesh covering over the flex bellows of the EGR pipe.

I have to disagree, no aftermarket parts for Lexus or Toyota are better than OEM. Maybe for domestic car lines. I have worked at a Lexus dealer for over 13 years and have seen aftermarket everything and it looks, works, and is worse thatn OEM. From bulbs to starters and sparkplugs, wires, etc,. OEM is the best, for Lexus/Toyota.