My Alternator Went Out Last Night!

ToddLS400

There was a new alternator replaced in this car less than a year ago by the previous owner. That STUPID design of putting the PS pump right over the alternator has finally killed it. I was actually out to dinner with a prospective new employer who flew in from California. I was actually being presented a offer last night so this was pivotal to my career. Thank God my car got me to his hotel then to the restaraunt then back to his hotel. I got home and turned the car off and tried to start it again then click, click, click.... It's been on the charger all night so I can get it to the shop who put in the alternator which has a lifetime warranty. I guess I have to pay them about $68 labor for 1 hour. It's a simple job.

I need to build a shroud around the alternator with a plastic milk carton or something? Even when I fix the PS pump I don't trust that it won't leak again. Any ideas?

The loser mechanic tried to say it was going to be more than 1 hour. I read back the labor to him on the previous invoice and he got quiet. Why do all these LOSER mechanics have to try and rip you off? Switching out the alternator on these cars is actually one of the easy jobs. I will go buy a floor jack and do it myself if this Jethro tries to overcharge me when I get there. I just don't have the receipt for the warranty on the part since the mechanic installed it. They bought the reman and charged the previous owner $267. I believe you can get a new alternator for that price? I told him that too. God, is there such thing as consumer justifiable homicide?

At least they honored the warranty. And give the car a loving pat on the trunk, it waited until your prospective emplyoyer was gone before it let go ;)

Hopefully that'll end your troubles for a while...

Yeah, that's right VB.

SW - I think I'm going to buy a new PS pump to prevent this from happenning again. I don't think stop leak is going to solve this? The previous alternator was replaced 6/02. So that was only 1 yr, 3 mo's ago. I hate spending more money but that's the smartest thing to do I believe.

i saw couple of good prices for rebuilt pumps on ebay. prices vary from 20 to 200$

strange. btw mechanics once they see lexus or mb or bmw they thing ure a moneybag and try to get as much money from u as possible. what i usually do is i park b4 the shop. go inside and ask them about price. and only after that i give them the car model and brand:)

i saw couple of good prices for rebuilt pumps on ebay. prices vary from 20 to 200$

strange. btw mechanics once they see lexus or mb or bmw they thing ure a moneybag and try to get as much money from u as possible. what i usually do is i park b4 the shop. go inside and ask them about price. and only after that i give them the car model and brand:)

Yeah but most part stores like NAPA or B&B don't matter. I'll buy the part and either put it in myself or bring it up to my mechanic. He's cool about using my own parts. He doesn't get all *BLEEP*y like some scumball grease monkeys do. They want to make their 50 - 100% profit margin on the parts as well then they want to bill you about 200% on the actual labor hours.

Thanks VMF. I just checked out eBay and I found one that I'm going to bid on.

thats what i do:) i even bring my own oil and filters.:)

Do you have a Wal-Mart near you? I got my last Mobile 1 synthetic oil change there for $28 total with filter. Now I think they used a FRAM filter which is junk? I'm going to pay for the Mobile 1 filter next time which will make the total cost around $33. It's as cheap or cheaper to just get it done there + they dispose of your old oil. You usually have to wait at least a half an hour to as much as a hour and a half since they're so busy. Remember that our cars take longer than most cause they have to remove the plastic shield underneath the car. I just think of things I need to get and go shopping. Or I tool around the audio/video area looking at things. That's their goal I suppose?

i shop at costco i got mobil 1 5w-30 for 23$ and i use toyota filters. i still have to pay 20$ for the lift. i think i will just buy those things that u drive on and will do the oil change myself as well because they keep forgetting to put those screws for the plastic shield and now i have only like 4 of them left:)

About the PS pump. Mine went out shortly after I bought it at 127,000 miles. I expected that to happen. Cost was around $1800 at my local dealership. They do not use reman parts. They also replaced some sort of sensor as well. So basically, I got an entire PS replacement--and a complementary car wash with some espresso, too. I also go to the dealer to get my oil changed. For comparison purposes, I pay about $50 for an oil change. While there, they do the Jiffy Lube thing and check all the other stuff and put air in the tires which I hate to do. And, another complementary car wash and I get to use their espresso machine, cruise the gift shop, chat with my favorite sales rep and look at some cars. The nice thing about getting the car repaired there is that I drive my Lexus in, and drive out with a much newer Lexus loaner car. I've driven the RX330 and ES300 now and still think my 1994 LS400 is still, by far, the best car they have made. Just my two cents!

if you will continue givin ur $$ to the dealer like this you will put the date of your upgrade to the next gen ls400 further into the future:) you can do all of this cheaper at the good mechanic shope. the new PS pump costs around 350-400$ max. and its not that hard to change it. labor should be like 1-2 hours

I change my own oil in the driveway. I have a set of ramps that I pull the car up on. I get my oil at Pep Boys because they're the only place around here that sells Valvoline Synthetic. While I'm under there, I can see what els is leaking. I then take my used oil to Advance Auto Parts and recycle it. Unfotunately, Lexus doesn't povide any gease nipples for steering and supension componets. They are "lifetime" sealed which means it will be a relatively short life in comparion.

if you will continue givin ur $$ to the dealer like this you will put the date of your upgrade to the next gen ls400 further into the future:) you can do all of this cheaper at the good mechanic shope. the new PS pump costs around 350-400$ max. and its not that hard to change it. labor should be like 1-2 hours

She said she paid $1,800 for a new PS pump and a simple sensor at a dealership? Please tell me we're misunderstanding that. I'm going to wait for her to reply to verify this. If this is true, the whole F*****G Lexus dealership (DIS)service department is spawned from Satan and 666 used car salesmen. Yeah, a gang bang. You want "free" coffee? Go to church instead of spending time in the house of The Devil. You can get the PS pump for $154 with a $44 core> https://www.rockauto.com/applet.html You can actually do this job yourself since it's pretty easy to get to. I can't believe that...

I bet that Lexus coffee has a strong after taste? Huh?

I believe it for sure.

So ccf, basically you paid them $1650 for that expresso and the use of an ES300 for a couple days. If I were you, I'd *BLEEP* my pants right where I sit lol. I wish I had the money to just throw away into the wind...

A independent import mechanic would have carged you $400 for that job, and probably would have had you out in a day.

While I agree, the free loaner is nice, and I do let them do services when I know I'm going to need to leave the car and take a loaner, but for an oil change where I'm just going to sit there anyway? I've got a quick lube place up the road that uses Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 filter and charges me $30, they have Krispy Creme doughnuts and coffee. I dont even like Espresso... vs paying Lexus $70 for a dino oil change (no synthetic) and having it take three times as long just so I can cruise the gift shop? Nope, I work too hard for my living to do that.

Errr...I'm sure she'll be speaking for herself here shortly, but we shouldn't be too hard on ccf913 here. Looks like she tackles a DIY project whenever she feels capable of it. For instance, she gave me a nice write up on how to replace the seat belt retractor in this post.

That said, however, I am in agreement with the idea of buying the part and then finding a good import mechanic to put it in for those jobs that are too much to handle. Dealership prices ARE outrageous. Trouble is, the good locally owned *honest* shops are getting crowded out more and more by the corporate guys.

No BS there Todd.  When I got an estimate from the delaer they quoted me $1600 and you know they are always low.  They did smile and were very friendly.  I drank some coffee and left.

Yeah, I bet they were smiling. The service manager was probably thinking about his 25% override he was getting off the job? I bet a regular shop could R&R the whole steering rack with a rebuild for that price or less? The service manager probably has a dimly lit back room with with a Ouigi board, goat and candles? Heck, he probably has a few human sacrifices back there too? He's just prepping you...

They must put some great non generic pain killers in that Lexus coffee? It can't be just the taste of the grind? Did you drink the coffee before or after the estimate? $1600 for a PS pump!?! Read the shop manual for the hours. I think it's 1.0? What was the break down of the costs (parts, labor, etc)?

It's more like drinking the kool-aid...

Calm down Todd - and back off on the satanic crap. Our new member ccf913 obviously cares for her car very well, and what she pays for that service is none of your business unless you are asked.

I fix cars for a living. Your lumping of all mechanics and service writers, and parts suppliers as rip-off artists is becoming tiresome. One day, even with a Lexus, you may require some major surgery to your car, and your attitude will be front and center to the people who will fix your car when you can't.

I am on this site to exchange information, to help and find help, and not to see fellow owners get slagged.

Calm down Todd - and back off on the satanic crap.  Our new member ccf913 obviously cares for her car very well, and what she pays for that service is none of your business unless you are asked.

I fix cars for a living.  Your lumping of all mechanics and service writers, and parts suppliers as rip-off artists is becoming tiresome.  One day, even with a Lexus, you may require some major surgery to your car, and your attitude will be front and center to the people who will fix your car when you can't.

I am on this site to exchange information, to help and find help, and not to see fellow owners get slagged.

SRK - It is my business. It was posted within this public forum which I participate in quite often. If we go by your primate logic then it's none of your business replying to me because I said so... See how stupid that sounds? Maybe you don't? Let's help you reach new horizons...

I spent the time to find a honest mechanic that works on Lexus vehicles. It took awhile but I found one and they're right up the street from me. I will do most of the work on my car that I'm capable of unless I don't have the time. I invested in the complete (2 large books) shop manual for my LS400.

Yep, most auto mechanics are WEASELS and LIARS. Yeah, I said that. We can take a poll here to prove it. I've been burned in my earlier years by unethical mechanics so I speak from expereince. I'm very interested in your representation as a "ethical mechanic". How can we even prove that you are? I'm going by the way every Lexus dealership charges people for simple work that can be done for at least 50% less at a honest garage that works on these vehicles.

MOST mechanics and/or garage owners, service writers or whatever you want to AKA Satan as will try to charge as much money as possible if they know they can get away with it. The Lexus dealer preys on this with preset pricing from their "Certified Lexus Service Department". What a joke! Exploitation and price gouging at it's worst! All with a smile and free coffee...

A fool is easily parted with his money. <I bet you agree with this...? <Careful on how you answer that... It's loaded.

SRK while I'd like to believe you are correct, I am more inclined to agree with Todd. Even with a dealership, your chances of getting the service done correctly and/or at a fair price is 50-50.

When I took my Lexus to the Lexus dealer they: changed my oil which I speciffcally said not to do, and left off the bottom splash pan ( I happened to notice it when I got home) and charged me a whole lot more than they quoted to do the work I wanted done.

When I took my ccHevy to the Chevy dealership to have a front spindle replaced after a bearing burned up, they stripped the lower control arm bolt by turning it off with the cotter pin still inserted. The the idiot technician screwed the same bot back on. A wek later as my wife was getting onto the Interstate, it separated and the whole front end crashed to the ground. Imagine what would have happened at highway speed?

While a great deal of technicans are good, just as many are bad and DGAS about your car. The SM's are even worse as they ignore your calls, and make excuses for delays.

Unfortunate, but true. I worked as a technician while in high school and college, so I understand why it hurts to hear this. But experiences speak loudly.