1995 Sc300 Trans Issue, Maybe.

My wife came home complaining that her coupe died every time she came to a stop. And said that when she restarted the car, put it in drive, that it didn't seem to have the power it should, but it would eventually go. I took the car for a drive, and it's obvious to me that the transmission is confused.

The reason it's shutting down at a stop is because it's not down shifting. And sure enough taking off it feels like it's in second or third gear.

I can drop it into low manually and it pulls like crazy, and shifts into second when I bump the shifter forward. Now, when shifting to drive it feels like it shifts all the way to overdrive (if I have it on) immediately. The transmission pulls very strongly with no slipping.

The speedometer is working, and there are no codes flashing. It also exhibits the same symptoms in "Power" or "Ecomomy" modes.

My first reaction is that a Speed Sensor is bad, and is either not sending, or is sending bad data to the computer.

It also seems that the power door locks have stopped, I can hear the relay under the dash, but neither door solenoid will work.

I would hate to have to ditch this car and buy her another one, because this one has been so reliable. But I can't have it breaking down on her.

Any clues would help. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

My wife came home complaining that her coupe died every time she came to a stop. And said that when she restarted the car, put it in drive, that it didn't seem to have the power it should, but it would eventually go. I took the car for a drive, and it's obvious to me that the transmission is confused.

The reason it's shutting down at a stop is because it's not down shifting. And sure enough taking off it feels like it's in second or third gear.

I can drop it into low manually and it pulls like crazy, and shifts into second when I bump the shifter forward. Now, when shifting to drive it feels like it shifts all the way to overdrive (if I have it on) immediately. The transmission pulls very strongly with no slipping.

The speedometer is working, and there are no codes flashing. It also exhibits the same symptoms in "Power" or "Ecomomy" modes.

My first reaction is that a Speed Sensor is bad, and is either not sending, or is sending bad data to the computer.

It also seems that the power door locks have stopped, I can hear the relay under the dash, but neither door solenoid will work.

I would hate to have to ditch this car and buy her another one, because this one has been so reliable. But I can't have it breaking down on her.

Any clues would help. Thanks.

im having the same trans problems.

did you find a solution?

anyone know what this is

i once had that problem too on my 93 sc300, later on the mechanic told me that the tranny is shot. hopefully that isn't the answer otherwise this is bad news. other than that it could be the reason you might do a sparkplug change that might do the trick. my car died on me too when my car came to a stop and slow as it idles the RPM goes down and then dies.