Dash Rattle

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced a rattle in the dash of their ls460?? And if so, what was done to fix it.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a pronounced rattle in the dash in the vicinity of the defrost vents. :censored: It sounds as though something has come loose in that area. If I press firmly on the dash in front of the defrost vents, the rattle stops.

Curiously, the rattle largely dissappears when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while. Obviously, something in there is expanding in the heat.

I had a service appointment scheduled earlier this week but cancelled because I am nervous about a service tech tearing into the dash of my brand new car. I was thinking of trying to fix the problem myself by wedging some foam below the dash next to the defrost vents. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have the dealership look at it when the car goes in for its first service.

Any thoughts??

• 1 month later...

I also have a dashboard rattle and it seems to be getting worse. Every time I go over a bump in the road, the dash rattles. At first it was just the drivers side, now the passenger's side seems to be doing it as well. Has Lexus recognized this issue and if so, what are they doing about it? Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced a rattle in the dash of their ls460?? And if so, what was done to fix it.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a pronounced rattle in the dash in the vicinity of the defrost vents. :censored: It sounds as though something has come loose in that area. If I press firmly on the dash in front of the defrost vents, the rattle stops.

Curiously, the rattle largely dissappears when the car has been sitting in the sun for a while. Obviously, something in there is expanding in the heat.

I had a service appointment scheduled earlier this week but cancelled because I am nervous about a service tech tearing into the dash of my brand new car. I was thinking of trying to fix the problem myself by wedging some foam below the dash next to the defrost vents. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have the dealership look at it when the car goes in for its first service.

Any thoughts??

I also have a dashboard rattle and it seems to be getting worse. Every time I go over a bump in the road, the dash rattles. At first it was just the drivers side, now the passenger's side seems to be doing it as well. Has Lexus recognized this issue and if so, what are they doing about it? Thanks.

Any thoughts??

Any thoughts??

Lexus issued a TSB for this problem a couple of months ago. The number is TSB NV011-07. The repair is to install some new cowl clips in the front of the dash. I had mine done a few weeks a go and it's covered under warranty. What a difference!!

Good to hear its an easy fix. I think a rattle on a $50K+ car is totally unacceptable and no one should have to wedge foam to stop a rattle. You paid alot of money for this car and the quality should be there. I can understand your hesitation though about them tearing into the panel. My old 1990 LS400 had 252K and my 1993 Camry had 215K and both had totally rattle free interiors when I sold them.

I know that some of the Toyota Tundras have had some severe dash rattle/squeak issues, especially where the dash meets the windshield and around the radio area. I had heard numerous horror stories from Tundra owners that took their Tundras in to the dealers, only to have even more rattles afterward, as nothing seems to go back correctly.

Luckily, my old 2000 Toyota Tundra was still 100% squeak and rattle free, even at 108K, but I had test driven a 2001 Tundra with an annoying rattle.. heck, even a NEW 06' I tested last summer had a squeak somewhere that kept me from buying it and it had 40 miles on the odometer. On the dash rattle near the glass, the dealers would wedge a rod shaped piece of foam between the glass and window, which I think is unacceptable and corner cutting.

Seems like squeak and rattle problems are becoming more and more common on NEW cars as the years go by. Car makers seem to be going down on quality in these areas and its not just Japanese cars.. its all of them.. American and German. <_<

• 3 weeks later...