Computer Problem

dcarson

my check engine light has started coming on and staying on. My mechanic says there's nothing wrong with the car, but I need a new computer. In a past forum topic, I see that skperformance says he/she's never heard of a Lexus needing a new computer. Am I being taken for a ride?

i've had a similar problem where my cel was on when i needed to replace my fuel valve or something (forgot what part.) anyway, they replaced it, and the light was off. then a few days later, the light came on again so i took it back. they said nothing was wrong with the car, it's just that the computer needed to be rebooted. it still had the previous error code activating the cel and he said this happens sometimes when the problem is corrected but the computer isn't reset, or something like that.

basically, you don't need a new computer, just a few resets to flush out the error code.

or find out how much it is to get a new computer and then see if it costs more than 100 bucks.. if it does, then take it to a dealer to look at since i think it costs 100 bucks just for lexus dealers to take a look at your car. if they find nothing wrong with your car but just the computer needs resetting, then i'm sure they can do that for free, but you'll still have to pay for the checkup. of course, there's the risk that the computer DOES need a new computer, which you'd then be shelling out lexus dealer checkup fee + new computer fee. :)

this is just based on what my experience was, and what could be your problem... good luck!

Thanks, folks. I should have been more specific. The 1st mechanic said CEL was an emissions code, but cleared it fine. Came back on. Cleared it again. Drove it for about 1 month and happened again. This time an independent mechanic specializing in Lexus repair said he couldn't locate a code so it must be the computer. Although I've never done this in the past, I did start "overfilling/topping off" my tank when I get gas ... don't even know why I started it. I see that other folks have had a problem with the CEL when they do this. I'm gonna change my bad habit (at least that one) and see if that's the problem. The mechanic did say that not properly tightening the gas cap can cause the CEL light to come on also. Thanks again for the input. By the way, a rebuilt Lexus computer runs $1,047 without installation (I think another $60).

now you are asking a different question

with the ecu one out of the awy

what year is the car?

and it is more than likely the egr valve which does not affect the performance much or damage te engine in any way

it is also a problem that causes the cel to go on every so often and turn off again

as a build up of carbon is present