92 Sc 400 129k - Tranny From 93 Sc 400 W/80k

Slugger20

Yes, that is way too much $$$ for a SC400 transmission swap...If that includes the price of a used tranny complete then I would say that is ok price but still a little high....

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to perform a straight transmission swap as long as the tranny is an identical transmission to the original.. I had mine removed and reinstalled when I changed out my torque converter and that cost me $300...

I would not pay more then $500 for a straight tranny swap... That includes a new Rear main seal...

Look into some import tranny shops, open the yellow pages and call around for estimates... That is what I would do...

To change the tranny you need to remove rear exhaust (4 bolts), driveshaft (8bolts) the tranny mounts on each side (2 bolts), the connection bolts to the main... Unplug the sensor leads and that is it....Oh, and a tranny jack to lower it and that is it...An experienced tranny shop can do the job in less then 2 hours... $800 an hour is what you would be paying them...

need some opinions......Is 1,600.00 to swap out my 92 tranny for a 93 sc 400 w/80K...including parts and labor TOO Much????....The shop that is doing it specializes in Lexus and Toyota only.....

The price includes: the price of the used tranny, the shipping from Dallas Tx to San Antonio Tx (San Antonio doesn't have a very wide selection of SC's from what i understand), any parts, labor..and i'm sure the towing from my house to the shop was factored in there somewhere even though it was "free".... I guess i don't mind paying a little extra considering the tech performing the work has the same year and model vehicle as mine (and worked for Lexus for 12 years (friend of a friend))..........just wasn't sure if it was WAY overpriced or not.....It being my first lexus and all..... Thank you for your reply...It was very insightful- appreciate it...

He's not cutting you any price breaks to be sure. Before you committ, try http://www.enginereplacement.com/indexold.htm Give them a call and find out what they are selling the tranny's for and how much it would cost to have one at your door. It's worth the phone call. I have gotten engines and other trannys from them before. I've never had a problem.

And again Jibby is right, if you have a basic wrench set and some jack stands you could do the tranny swap yourself. It's not hard. Just looks like a major job that's all. And the tranny can be heavy. Might wanna have a freind and a 6 pack handy. ;)

Thanks again smooth...

If my tranny gave out what I would do if I was a normal Joe would be to bust out the yellow pages and call every import wrecking yard for a used tranny to match up in the area.. Once I found the best deal with the lowest miles on the used tranny I would pick it up (maybe cost me $500 tops)... Haul the car and tranny to a local import tranny shop and have it swapped in for $300-$500 tops after shopping some quotes... I would do it myself for free in the backyard but that's just me...

Ebay also is a source to find a good used SC4 tranny...

Just a suggestion if you want to save a $800....

Having an experienced mechanic do it all for $1600 isn't all that bad though if you don't have the time or desire to do what I suggested... Atleast you will no for sure that the job is done right if the mechanic ownes the same car......

Thanks again smooth...

If my tranny gave out what I would do if I was a normal Joe would be to bust out the yellow pages and call every import wrecking yard for a used tranny to match up in the area.. Once I found the best deal with the lowest miles on the used tranny I would pick it up (maybe cost me $500 tops)... Haul the car and tranny to a local import tranny shop and have it swapped in for $300-$500 tops after shopping some quotes... I would do it myself for free in the backyard but that's just me...

Ebay also is a source to find a good used SC4 tranny...

Just a suggestion if you want to save a $800....

Having an experienced mechanic do it all for $1600 isn't all that bad though if you don't have the time or desire to do what I suggested... Atleast you will no for sure that the job is done right if the mechanic ownes the same car......

That would be the plan.