Home Made A/c Filter For 1990 Ls400

qha_vn

since 1990 ls400 does not have a/c filter, i decided to make one. its easy and cheap, also you can replace or remove to clean easily

why do we need it?

1- the blower wont throw dust into our face

2- air quality is getting much dirty than 17 years ago when there wasnt a need for a filter

3- clean inner parts of the a/c will maximize efficiency and durability

How do I do it? you can too

Lets see the final product

gallery_37789_389_63842.jpg

Materials:

- you will need a 3M pad that is used for cleaning dishes in the kitchen

gallery_37789_389_17503.jpg

- and a sheet of metal net to support the 3M pad preventing it from falling down into the blower well

gallery_37789_389_7686.jpg

Tools:

very simple tools that i done need to list it here

Steps:

- remove the glovebox to get access to the blower thru the air inlet door. in this pix, i remove all the lower panels, but you dont need to

gallery_37789_389_48325.jpg

- cut some of the plastic strips ao that you can put the filter inside

gallery_37789_389_49641.jpg

- cut the 3M pad and metal net then make it like this. sorry i forget the measurements. you can measure it yourself easily

gallery_37789_389_75334.jpg

- the other side of the filter

gallery_37789_389_81795.jpg

- just put the filter in to cover the blower air inlet

- now start your engine and make sure the filter wont touch the blower fan, and importantly the outside/ inside air shutter wont be blocked by the filter. When everything works well, you can install the glovebox back

Conclusion:

i spent about an hour to do all those things and result is good. materials may vary upon availability. i am thinking of buying a filter sheet used in home air con and cut into shape, it may be better but of course cost more

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. I'm going to make this modification when I replace my blower motor. The car sat for years and now has build-up in it that makes it vibrate like crazy. Now for a REALLY embarrrasing quesitons. How do you remove the glove box and the lower panel? I pulled the plastic clips in the glove box and it sits quite securely still. Where are the screws / bolts / clips? Also, I tried unscrewing the phillips at the bottom of the lower panel and they just spin and spin. Do you have pictures of that piece of it?

Thanks,

Guy

sorry i didnt take the pix when i remove the glovebox. below are the steps, please try to imagine, i will make pix and post them later

there are 5 plastic clips with screws holding the glovebox, 3 at the bottom and 2 at top. simply unscrew them a little (pls note they wont come out all the way but just loosen from the hole) then use a small flat screwdrive to pry them off the hole (both the screw and outer part).

once you remove all 5, its the time to remove the glovebox. use a flat screwdrive taped with electric tape or a butter knife to carefully pry the glovebox out, starting from the top left corner. Be CAREFUL not to tear off the leather

once you get the glovebox out, dont remove it all the way out, but a just a bit until you get access to the back and undo the glovebox light wire. it can then be remove giving full access to the inside

re-installing it is just as easy as that but again be CAREFUL not to allow the sharp edge of the globox tear off the nice leather cover

needless to say, at your own risk :-)

enjoy

sorry i didnt take the pix when i remove the glovebox. below are the steps, please try to imagine, i will make pix and post them later

there are 5 plastic clips with screws holding the glovebox, 3 at the bottom and 2 at top. simply unscrew them a little (pls note they wont come out all the way but just loosen from the hole) then use a small flat screwdrive to pry them off the hole (both the screw and outer part).

once you remove all 5, its the time to remove the glovebox. use a flat screwdrive taped with electric tape or a butter knife to carefully pry the glovebox out, starting from the top left corner. Be CAREFUL not to tear off the leather

once you get the glovebox out, dont remove it all the way out, but a just a bit until you get access to the back and undo the glovebox light wire. it can then be remove giving full access to the inside

re-installing it is just as easy as that but again be CAREFUL not to allow the sharp edge of the globox tear off the nice leather cover

needless to say, at your own risk :-)

enjoy

Thank you. I'll try it tomorrow!