My Next Car - Audi Rs6

johnhoward

I love my LS and will keep it, but you got to check this car out for kicks - Audi RS 6

I drove the fastest, most solid, mind numbing braking, organ smashing handling car I've ever driven to date.

Vettes, Mustangs, Porshe 911 turbo 2004, AMG E55, AMG CLK 55, 2002 M-3 are my credentials -

I've got a coworker who bought one in Chicago a few weeks ago and he cut me loose with his for a while.

I'd hang this thing against anything and here's why. It's an automatic, and it shifts faster than you can and doesn't peel out

(all wheel drive) The acceleration was sobering/toxic/amazing.. horsepower - twin turbo with no lag.

The sleeper of a lifetime. As soon as I hit an exit ramp, I floored this thing and it was....... gone

I was at 80 when I looked again. On the business end, the motor was surprisingly quiet, but just viseral enough to

tune you into each and every gear. It felt very German with Mercedes like ride. Not nearly as cushy as the LS -

The Bose Stereo was incredible too, and the interior was posh as expected for a car with a 90K new sticker.

You can get one of these for the mid 40's and if you like sleeper value without a gear shift - look no more.

I used the paddle shifters some, and the auto stick function - however, the automatic trans did just fine...

0-60 is about 4.5 seconds (unreal for a 2003 model sedan at this pricepoint). This car looks a lot better in person too.

The videos/photos online don't give as much justice. The M-5 looks better, but isn't faster -

A huge bang for your buck and a really solid, fun driving car. The ride was not harsh at all for what I expected.

You could take trips in this car all day long and the seats were really comfortable.

Check out this video (I drove a non-stationwagon version) - enjoy

I got to test drive a brand new RS6 back in 2004. I agree, it was amazing, although my test drive wasn't anything compared to your drive. They are awesome cars (I've had 4 Audis) however I wouldn't want to have to maintain it. My rule with Audis was always to get rid of them before the warranty expired. They are great cars, but like everything else German, they are expensive when they break, and the reliability is nowhere near Lexus-like... ;)

I've been following Audi since I first rode in an Audi taxi in Germany in 1971 and have, sadly, watched a number of family members and friends purchase them over more than three decades. Audi has been consistent for all those years -- consistently far behind other brands in quality and reliability. My own sister owned three new ones before she finally learned her lesson - one 80/Fox and two 100/5000 models. Until then, I never realized how many transmissions a car could go through in a short time. Currently I am watching a coworker (his initials are DMF - really, they are), pour money into his low milage A4, trying to keep it going.

I sure wish they were better cars since I agree that they are a lot of fun when they are new. BTW, many people mispronounce the name "Audi". I learned the correct pronunciation from the U.K. car magazine "What Car?". The correct pronunciation of "Audi" rhymes with "shoddy".

I've been following Audi since I first rode in an Audi taxi in Germany in 1971 and have, sadly, watched a number of family members and friends purchase them over more than three decades. Audi has been consistent for all those years -- consistently far behind other brands in quality and reliability. My own sister owned three new ones before she finally learned her lesson - one 80/Fox and two 100/5000 models. Until then, I never realized how many transmissions a car could go through in a short time. Currently I am watching a coworker (his initials are DMF - really, they are), pour money into his low milage A4, trying to keep it going.

I sure wish they were better cars since I agree that they are a lot of fun when they are new. BTW, many people mispronounce the name "Audi". I learned the correct pronunciation from the U.K. car magazine "What Car?". The correct pronunciation of "Audi" rhymes with "shoddy".

"Oddy" may be the 'correct' British pronunciation, but it's not the correct German pronunciation.

Would you pronounce Frau as Frah?

(Or was it just a joke to associate Audi with shoddy, as in workmanship?)

Joe