Ls460 Hdd

Anyone here knows how to copy your own MP3 to the hard disk so we can enjoy?

BTW, if the hard drive failed, do you know where it is and how to replace it?

All instructions and opinions about these issues will be highly appreciated (up)

You can only rip audio cds onto the hard drive. The system does not allow you to load your mp3s onto the hard drive per page 234 in your navigation owners manual. The hard drive is located in the dash somewhere behind the nav screen.

How to rip the CD to HDD? All names will be track #1; #2 & so on? Then you stucked by second CD because the track will be same name?

I think we should have someway to copy many MP3 at the same time via the cable or something? And how big of the HDD? Is it easy to replace the old HDD with the bigger HDD?

TIA

You can only rip audio cds onto the hard drive. The system does not allow you to load your mp3s onto the hard drive per page 234 in your navigation owners manual. The hard drive is located in the dash somewhere behind the nav screen.

How to rip the CD to HDD? All names will be track #1; #2 & so on? Then you stucked by second CD because the track will be same name?

I think we should have someway to copy many MP3 at the same time via the cable or something? And how big of the HDD? Is it easy to replace the old HDD with the bigger HDD?

TIA

There are a couple issues here and I'm sure no expert on MP3, but I have over 900 tracks(songs)loaded on mine by ripping from CDs. All tracks are labelled as you would expect, and Lexus will give you up to 4 complimentary updates per year to the program that assigns the track information. You just copy the CD and it runs it in. Later you can delete complete CDs or individual songs. My drive shows slightly less than 50% full. I usderstand the drive is around 12GB. You can play other formats on discs that are loaded into the changer. I have, for example, one disc that contains about 15 Christmas albums in WMA format and another that contains all of Sinatras Columbia and Capital years which is about 7 or 8 albums. These files will also show the track information as titles and so forth, but you have to be careful how you coad the files from the albums and convert to WMA etc. Some of mine didn't bring the track titles over and show "track 1" Track 2" etc. I am sure it's pilot error because most are correct and all the albums are from the same original sets.

I wouldn't worry about the location of the drive as Lexus can dump it to a service drive and reload to a new one if necessary (according to the documentation I've seen) My biggest disappointment with the system is the small sample of tunes it plays in the PM Random mode (whatever PM stands for). I have never heard some of my tracks and keep hearing the same family of 30 or 40 off of a half dozen albums until I manually cancel random, run up a dozen or two albums in the que and restart PM Random.

You probably know about the input jack in the center console and whatever it will do. I have no experience with it, but maybe there is a solution for you there.

TIA

There are a couple issues here and I'm sure no expert on MP3, but I have over 900 tracks(songs)loaded on mine by ripping from CDs. All tracks are labelled as you would expect, and Lexus will give you up to 4 complimentary updates per year to the program that assigns the track information. You just copy the CD and it runs it in. Later you can delete complete CDs or individual songs. My drive shows slightly less than 50% full. I usderstand the drive is around 12GB. You can play other formats on discs that are loaded into the changer. I have, for example, one disc that contains about 15 Christmas albums in WMA format and another that contains all of Sinatras Columbia and Capital years which is about 7 or 8 albums. These files will also show the track information as titles and so forth, but you have to be careful how you coad the files from the albums and convert to WMA etc. Some of mine didn't bring the track titles over and show "track 1" Track 2" etc. I am sure it's pilot error because most are correct and all the albums are from the same original sets.

I wouldn't worry about the location of the drive as Lexus can dump it to a service drive and reload to a new one if necessary (according to the documentation I've seen) My biggest disappointment with the system is the small sample of tunes it plays in the PM Random mode (whatever PM stands for). I have never heard some of my tracks and keep hearing the same family of 30 or 40 off of a half dozen albums until I manually cancel random, run up a dozen or two albums in the que and restart PM Random.

You probably know about the input jack in the center console and whatever it will do. I have no experience with it, but maybe there is a solution for you there.

Thank you for your reply; I've checked the console already, there are only 2 jacks, 1 for iPod and 1 for power supply (12v/120v).

If the hard disk is only 12GB (?) the map (version 6.1) takes about 8GB then you have only 4GB free? That's the reason why I want to know where they installed the hard disk and any issues if we want to replace by the bigger HDD like 500GB or 750GB then we can load the MP3 or movies?

It is 30GB. It primarily holds the Navigation database and the Gracenote database. The remaining space can be used to store your music. Before anybody gets too excited, this is a car not a Tivo. Theres seems to be some assumption that the vehicle has a standard desktop hard drive that can be upgraded to a larger size like a Tivo. It does NOT. The hard drive is rather small that fits in slot in the back of the multidisplay. It may be a laptop type hard drive, but I can't tell unfortunately.

It is 30GB. It primarily holds the Navigation database and the Gracenote database. The remaining space can be used to store your music. Before anybody gets too excited, this is a car not a Tivo. Theres seems to be some assumption that the vehicle has a standard desktop hard drive that can be upgraded to a larger size like a Tivo. It does NOT. The hard drive is rather small that fits in slot in the back of the multidisplay. It may be a laptop type hard drive, but I can't tell unfortunately.

Are you all certain that the Mark Levinson hard drive and the Denso nav hard drive are the same? I'd be surprised, in that the Nav drive used to be located under a panel on, I believe, the passenger side in the trunk. I have no idea of the configuration of the ML drive, but it may be a proprietary protocol. Why not try loading as many MP3 tracks as possible on a CD and playig it in one of the CD drive slots. I think this can be done, but I don't fo MP3. WMA format works fine.