Are These Sc300/400 Cars Expensive To Own

gentlejax

I am looking for a SC300/400 and I dont need to race with it. I just want a nice daily driver. I have owned all the race cars I want after 7 RX7's / 2 300zx's / 1 Cobra / 1 SHO / 1 Celica....

What I want now is a good solid car that runs good and rides nice and will last...

I work at a car dealership and we have a ls400 but I dont like the grandpa looks of it...rides nice but looks like an old man car...

so I am looking at the 92-97 sc400 or sc300 cars...or else I just keep the wifes Celica gt (GIRL CAR)

I just wanted to know what I can expect as far as reliabiltiy and maintenance..

thanks in advance....

Mike

The SC300/400 are excellent vehicles which hold up extremely well. Like any vehicle they are prone to a few common problems. This thread is a great place for you to start reading up:

ClickHere

As you work in a dealership this may not apply to you, but be aware if you don't have a competent tech. and must visit the Lexus dealer the ownership experience will be lackluster.

Good Luck!

well ....I work for a small lot and we dont have a mechanic....I know several that we use ...

What is different from the SC versus an ordinary Toyota...like a Supra ? I didnt figure it was that much a more complicated machine...

but I am just getting started and havnt yet purchased one yet...

any benefit of going with a SC300 vs SC400?

like I said, I want a good solid car...dont need fastest otherwise I would buy a crapmaro or something

well ....I work for a small lot and we dont have a mechanic....I know several that we use ...

What is different from the SC versus an ordinary Toyota...like a Supra ? I didnt figure it was that much a more complicated machine...

but I am just getting started and havnt yet purchased one yet...

any benefit of going with a SC300 vs SC400?

like I said, I want a good solid car...dont need fastest otherwise I would buy a crapmaro or something

Alot more 400s on the road than the 300s, So you kinda get some rarity with the sc300 I think, which I like.

The SC can be an expensive car to own. Even considering myself a reasonably knowledgeable car guy, I still have questions about specific stuff with this car.

So far since I have purchased it, the AC stopped working, the heater control valve went out, and the passenger side door doesn't open now.

Other than that, it's a great car. Not terrible on gas, but could be better.

well I owned a 1990 & 1991 300zx and they also can be expensive to repair. I fixed most of the common things myself and the car was actually very reliable...

so I think if I can find a solid car to start with then it shouldnt be a huge ordeal as Lexus cars are very well made..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a mechnic for a living and I drive a 92 SC400 and love it to death. They are a more complex car then alot of the more common cars you see from that year range but the problems they have for the most part are not a big deal to fix. I drive the crap out of this car and except for hitting a dear (Dont race at night in the country) I have not had any problems with the car more then the annoying lights on the gauge needles messing up. As with any used car I would recommend doing ur homework and being picky when it comes to finding a car. Don't rush off and buy the first 1 you find, took me 3 months to locate my first one and 2 months to find my second one for the right price and a good solid car.(second is 98 sc400 btw). They are a car that if not maintained can have expensive problems, the 1 I hate the most is the starter.. its between the heads on the sc400 and its like 8 hours in labor to change. Just watch for starter noise, traction control lights on, and overdrive lights that wont go out(wont shift to OD). Many of the other problems with the cars are more annoying then anything. If I had to pick 1 used car to drive for 10,000 miles right off the used car lot it would be an Sc400 hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a '96 SC300 for one year. It has 173,000 miles on it. I have had my share of things breaking, wearing out, etc. but I purchased a repair CD on Ebay & do my own repairs - luckily so far nothing major.

Ebay is a good source for parts but be careful & shop around because there are some idiots on Ebay that will gouge you on prices. I buy new OEM parts from Lexus of Pembroke Pines online parts catalog. This dealership has some new parts costing less than used parts on Ebay. Whenever I am in need of a part I first check their prices as a starting point & then I will go to Ebay to compare. The Lexus dealership here in San Antonio is a major ripoff with prices on parts & repairs costing double to triple of what a dealership in Houston or Dallas would charge. Believe me, I have done alot of research, but no other dealership can beat the Pembroke Pines Lexus dealership for the best prices for new parts..

I drove a 1991 Acura Legend for a couple years which was pretty cool, my daughter drives a 1999 Infiniti G20 which has been a pretty reliable car and my son drives a 1997 Acura CL 3.0 which has also been a fine car. However, in a nutshell, my SC300, which has been/is a very reliable, smooth running machine, is the hands down the best of the best. If and when I decide to trade it, it will be for a newer model of SC300 or SC400.

• 3 months later...

I Have a FLOODED out from insurance 1992 sc400. It has over 200k on the car. New transmission stock engine. I love this car!! It is very fast HIGH end and fun to drive. FEELS LIKE A RACE CAR. Any used car will cost something to keep running. I recommend this car to anyone.

Ken :D

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...