Extended Warranty For Steering Spiral Cable.

trips1

Hello All.

I really appreciate the time and effort that you all put maintaining this mailing list.

When i bought my Lexus RX300 I bought extended warranty with it (Toyota Extra Care Gold which is same as Lexus Extra Care Gold).

Now my steering seems to make a very very light noise as if you are twisting a wire. The lexus dealer said that "Recommend Replacing Spiral Cable" and that it would not be covered by the extended warranty. Also it is not necessary for me to get it changed as it is not a serious issue.

I am reading my extended warranty card and in the steering section it says:

Steering:

Gear Box internal components and; Bushings/Bearings; Center Link; Hoses, Lines and Tubes, Idler Arm; Pitman Arm; Power Steering pump; Rack and Pinion; Seals and Gaskets; Steering Column; Steering Column coupling; Steering column shaft; steering dampner; steering Gear; Box and Pump Housing; Tie Rod End

I really don't exactly understand what the "spiral cable" thingy is. Reading at the gold care protection it looks to me that it should ideally be covered under Steering Column.

Please can someone let me know if this is covered by the extended warranty or not. If not then it is fine. If it is covered then i would be able to fight with my lexus dealer.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I hate when dealership try to snow customers, Ask questions, are they talking about electrical wiring running in the steering column for the wipers, turn signals, etc.? Probably as spiral cable to me means the spiral rap around electrical cables to protect them....Good luck.

Spiral cable they are talking about is the cable that goes from the fixed portion of the steering wheel (column) to the rotating portion (actual steering wheel) where it connects to the airbag. Mine was making a clicking noise and was replaced under the CPO warranty. The cable is installed in spiral configuration which I guess is where the name comes from.

Hello All.

I really appreciate the time and effort that you all put maintaining this mailing list.

When i bought my Lexus RX300 I bought extended warranty with it (Toyota Extra Care Gold which is same as Lexus Extra Care Gold).

Now my steering seems to make a very very light noise as if you are twisting a wire. The lexus dealer said that "Recommend Replacing Spiral Cable" and that it would not be covered by the extended warranty. Also it is not necessary for me to get it changed as it is not a serious issue.

Steering:

Gear Box internal components and; Bushings/Bearings; Center Link; Hoses, Lines and Tubes, Idler Arm; Pitman Arm; Power Steering pump; Rack and Pinion; Seals and Gaskets; Steering Column; Steering Column coupling; Steering column shaft; steering dampner; steering Gear; Box and Pump Housing; Tie Rod End

I really don't exactly understand what the "spiral cable" thingy is. Reading at the gold care protection it looks to me that it should ideally be covered under Steering Column.

Please can someone let me know if this is covered by the extended warranty or not. If not then it is fine. If it is covered then i would be able to fight with my lexus dealer.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Also i forgot to mention that the price for the spiral cable replacement would be $685. As per suggestion in one of the replies i would ask my dealer for more information.

Anyone thinks that it should be covered by the extended warranty??

Hello All.

Steering:

Thanks a lot in advance.

Also i forgot to mention that the price for the spiral cable replacement would be $685. As per suggestion in one of the replies i would ask my dealer for more information.

Anyone thinks that it should be covered by the extended warranty??

I'm pretty sure I got that replaced for free under the bumper to bumper.

But I do remember when buying the car the F&I guy telling me specifically that "wiring" is not covered under the CPO or extended warranties. I'm positive that mine has an exclusion for that.