1991 Ls400 6 Speed Swap?

2rotor

I have decided to keep the LS for.. Well forever...

So I bought a gallon of black paint, a gallon of high gloss Clear coat and i am about to paint this beast.

I have a guy coming to look at re-appolstering the interior.

And I have my eyes on a set of 18x9 wheels with a polished 3 inch lip, and gloss black centers..

So the car will be my poor weather driver/kid hauler (i am selling the mustang and rx-7, gotta grow up right..)

I will continue to drive the Zx6-R daily in nice weather...

But to the point.. I want to swap a 5 or 6speed into this car. I am not a big fan of the Slushbox. I have some fabrication background and was thinking of using "toyota" parts.. ANyone researched swapping in a 6 speed out of a SUPRA into one of these?? Or even a 6 speed out of an IS300?? It would require a custom flywheel, driveshaft and an adapter plate to mate the Tranny to the engine.. Use a slave and master out of a supra or IS300 and then make some brackets...

Am I crazy? ANyone with me on this.????

Well That is what I was afraid of...

If you got the time go for it, but why would you wanna do that tho? I mean, this car is not exactly a performance car to begin with. Even if you were to swap trans and hi-power engine, the weight would still hold you back. Just my two cents, but then again I have seen some crazier projects out there, so in comparison your would not be that crazy either. :whistles:

Well I have a couple t60 turbos left over from an RX-7 project that went another direction, and the engine in the LS only has 60k miles on the rebuild so I thought that 260HP stock plus the twin turbo setup, Throttle body porting, larger injectors and pump, Chipped Celsor ecu, AND the ever not so popular "cold air intake" would probably make up for the extra weight.. I also prefer a manual transmission. I can live without the Tranny swap for sure but if anyone was interested in helping me (with ideas or "that won't work") I have my ears open.

Well I have a couple t60 turbos left over from an RX-7 project that went another direction, and the engine in the LS only has 60k miles on the rebuild so I thought that 260HP stock plus the twin turbo setup, Throttle body porting, larger injectors and pump, Chipped Celsor ecu, AND the ever not so popular "cold air intake" would probably make up for the extra weight.. I also prefer a manual transmission. I can live without the Tranny swap for sure but if anyone was interested in helping me (with ideas or "that won't work") I have my ears open.

Since there was never a manual tranny option, you would have a heap of fabrication waiting for you.

As for the t60 setup--go for it--it's been done, but not often. If you're handy with pipe bending/fab, it should be quite doable. You will most likely wind up with the hairdryers under the engine down low, where there is the most space.

The stock ECU will handle ~6psi of boost, and rising rate FPR and larger injectors (stock injectors from 7MGE motor can handle up to ~300-350 RWHP on the 1UZ, IIRC) should get you to ~10 psi. Beyond that, you need to go piggyback to !Removed! timing.