Wrong Transmission Fluid Type.....

I recently purchased a 95 sc400. Love the car, and it appears to have been maintained quite well. Well, i figured that one of the first things i should do is get the major fluids swapped out ..... which brings me to the reason for this post.

First, while swapping out the ATF, "they" hooked into the wrong lines(power steering) which caused the power steering fluid it bubble over (and me to nearly have a heart attack) . "They" informed me that since they fluids are the same, which is false, (power steering calls for Dex III and the ATF should be T-IV) there was no harm done and that they would just write it off as a free power steering flush.

Secondly, when they did find the correct lines for the transmission "they" simply added an additive to the Dex III (telling me that this so called additive would convert the Dex III to type T-IV). Also, this additive was added to the power steering fluid as well ....... so now my power steering fluid is not the Dex 3 that my owners manual calls for.

So my question is ..... are there known additives that reliably convert ATF to its proper type or improve it in some way, Or, is this just a way of vendors saving money and selling us (me) snake oil?

I'm sure most people would simply say "Use what your owners manual calls for, its better than risking a costly transmission repair", and i fully agree. What I'm looking for is someone that my have specific knowledge regarding the safety of these additives, and the possible problems that this could cause my vehicle in the long run.

Btw, regardless of the feedback i get here (if any) im getting that stuff out of my car tomarrow --- If for no other reason than my own peice of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of those guys who says "Use what the manual calls for".

However, putting that aside, here are my thoughts on additives.

My guess is that the additive they put in was not "co-engineered" with the main fluid they added.

Additives will not necessarily remain in suspension when added to another fluid.

I suspect that the additive will settle out of the carrier fluid over time - either less or more - but it will happen.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Tom