Just Bought My 1s Lexus

tcbted

Hello, everyone.

I've been reading this forum almost daily for the past 5 years.

During those years, I've owned 4 STS', 1 Lesabre, and 2 Accords.

I've always yearned for an LS400, and I became tired of weird repairs to my

Cadillacs ... I never fully trusted any of the STS'.

I test drove a 2000 LS400 today, green over grey leather, with 59,000 miles.

1 owner, full service history.

It drives very different to my 2001 STS .... smoother, just as fast, but much more

subdued than the Caddy.

Anyway, after much haggling, I traded in my Caddy and bought the LS400.

It has the Nakamichi stereo, standard suspension, new Michelin HydroEdge tires,

headlight washers, and I'm not sure if it has HID's or not.

Here's my question ... at 59k, I'm well under the T-belt change mileage, but the car is 7yrs old.

I really don't want to put out the money for a few more miles, and I'm a very low mile driver.

When do you think I should get the T-belt changed?

BTW, here are a few pics.

I'm very excited .... the issues reported on this site are so minor compared to the woes over at the

Caddy boards.

I hope I'm in this car for many years to come.

Here is a photobucket link.

I get the car on Monday.

Thanks for any advice on the timing belt issue.

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/

post-39333-1189123932_thumb.jpg

post-39333-1189123994_thumb.jpg

My 2000 LS400 is similar to yours in that it has the Nakamichi. I bought in 2003 at 38,000 miles. If the light from your low beam headlights have a slight blue-ish color then they are HID. 2000 LS400s without HID are incredibly rare in the US -- don't know about Canada. Usually U.S. cars equipted with Nakamichi have the more basic options like HID which was a $500 stand-alone option on U.S. models.

I recently (1 August 2007) had my timing belt replaced at 90,000 miles - seven years after the 31 July 2000 in-service date. If your 2000 LS400 was made early in the model year, your car and the timing belt could be almost one year older than mine is -- look at your "in-service date" or manufacture date.

For U.S. models, the timing belt replacement interval is 90,000 miles or six years. I went a full seven years on the original belt. The original belt is in a bag in my garage and appears to be in very good shape with no signs of damage or cracking. It probably could have gone several more years.

As you probably know, serious damage can result on a 98-up vvt-i LS400 engine if the timing belt breaks. When to change the timing belt is a decision you have to make on your own.

I let my timing belt go an extra year but I have to admit that going beyond the six years caused me a little concern. I had a timing belt shred on a 90 LS400 at well under 90,000 miles when the water pump failed but, of course, my 90 LS had a non-interference engine and no damage was done.

I was a lot more worried about being stranded by a breaking timing belt than the financial cost.

If your car was mine, I would probably go ahead and replace the timing belt, water pump and all the other related little parts so that it would not be a concern. But what you do is up to you.

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I figure I'll change the belt in the spring, at about 63k.

Its going to be a long weekend, waiting for Monday to come.

I can't get over how few LS400s are for sale here in Canada ... maybe its the RWD,

but they seem to be very scarce.

Makes finding a nice one all the more special.

As 1990LS400 said, the decision as to when to change the TB is up to you, but at 59K now, I would go another 30K or 5 years, and I am very anal about service on my cars. The material in these belts is better than they like to tell you. Check out other posts of some typical owners who don't like to gamble on such things and you will find my estimates to be generally conservative.

BTW, I noticed your wheels are from 1998 and 1999 models (US). 2000 MY wheels were different.

Good luck with your car, which is very clean looking!

I am with etex on this one. Those belts appear to be very well designed and made. Now, the issue that would concern me is the frequency of

antifreeze changes. Huh? Well, as has been pointed out, probably the most common failure mode for the timing belt is a seized water pump.

And what lubricates the water pump? If the antifreeze has been changed every 3 years or so, the water pump should be adequately lubed.

If not, there is some danger. Water pumps only last so long and can deteriorate quickly if the antifreeze breaks down and/or a non-Toyota type

coolant has been used. Keep an eye on the coolant level and check for leaks. Older water pump seals tend to go first and the coolant 'weeps' out a hole

in the pump when close to end of life.

Solid advice.

The car won't be ready for about 1 week.

It needs rotors, an HID bulb, a rear control arm (cracked), and an E-brake cable.

The E-brake has to come from Japan. Its at the dealer's expense, so its nice to know that they are very thorough.

The dealer is a Saab/GM dealer, which helped a lot on the trade (Cadillac STS).

They really weren't sure how to market a 7 year old Lexus ... their used lot is full of 2 year old Saturns and Saabs.

They are obtaining complete service records for me from the original Lexus dealer, up in Ottawa.

I know about the importance of coolant changes, after owning 4 GM Northstar motors.

If the Dexcool isn't changed every 5 years, it breaks down and you risk head gasket failure.

Its very common, and the repair involves timeserting the block, outside of the chassis, to the tune

of about $3k.

My first service on any new "used" car includes a coolant change and tranny fluid change.

For anyone who has viewed my pics .... would you put a light to medium tint on the dark green car, or

leave with the factory look?

Thanks again for the help .... great board. :D

That's a great looking car - I think it's the best colour for the LS.

I purchased my 98 GS400 in 2004 with 92k kilometres. I changed the t-belt in 2005 at 100k. That's about 50k early, but on time for the seven year interval that Lexus advises - in Canada seven years or 156k, whichever is first. The belt needed doing - the teeth were printing through to the smooth side.

Don't push the change interval as the engine will be destroyed if the belt breaks. It's also good to have a look around at the idlers and the seals. If they are fine, leave them alone, but do the belt.

Use Toyota coolant only. The trans fluid is changed about 2 litres at a time through the drain plug. Don't let anyone take the pan off.

The reason GM cars blow head gaskets is that they have crappy head gaskets, not dexcool. That's just a line from the GM service advisors because they have owner's screaming at them all day. Dexcool is a waste of time however. The timeserts are used because the head bolts pull the threads out of the block due to electrolysis caused by the dissimilar metals.

Do the belt, do all the fluids, and enjoy the LS!

It needs rotors, an HID bulb, a rear control arm (cracked), and an E-brake cable.

Keep in mind that HID bulbs are rated by number of hours available (3000+) and the color of the light output will shift slightly over time. just remember this if the side with the new bulb looks brighter than the other.

Congrats and Welcome Aboard!!!!! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of pictures taken after a good claybar/wax/seal job.

The car really grows on you ... I appreciate it more after every mile driven.

Warhawk, very nice colour combination.

KingDavid, black exterior was my first choice, I just couldn't locate a nice one.

post-39333-1191097337_thumb.jpg

post-39333-1191097352_thumb.jpg

post-39333-1191097363_thumb.jpg