Steering Column Motor Stucking Up

wandawoods

94 LS400

the motor to adjust steering column seems stucking up on me. it can do 'telescoping' (in-out) but it won't go up and down.

it stucks at highest postion! while trying to lower the column by pushing the 4-directional button, I can hear the motor making click sound but the the column won't move at all.

dealer wants $500+ for the motor itself + labor! I am thinking whether I can remove the cover behind steering wheel and maybe I can push it to lower position. even it stucks at 'low', which is much better postition for me to see all indicators at the bottom part of instrument panel, will be fine with me. I don't really care whehter it can go up-down as long as it's in 'low' position.

anyone know how to remove cover behind steering wheel? a diagram will be very nice....

thanks everyone!

ou did make sure the steering coluum lock down lever was released prior to making a manual adjustment? It's a lever on the left side of the steering coluum.

will check for that lock!

however, car is in mechanic's hands for timing belt/pump/pulley replacement. while he is at it, I also replace the thermalstat, two cam shaft assembly, and some gaskets and o-rings. the mechanic is highly skilled, careful, and referred by friends, and he only charges me $170 labor to do all that which can easily be a 6~8-hours job!

anyone in Atlanta area needs Lexus repairs or pre-purchase check-out, I can refer him to you!

wish I was in Atlant Wanda. Takes me almost 6 hrs to drive there. I was going to go out and look at mine and see exactly what that lever does. I have always felt that I couldn't lower the wheel as much as I like. With my Chevy I can lower it all the way to my knees which is very helpful when your driving, eating and talking on the phone at the same time.

WOW

it looks like its cheaper for me to drive to altanta and do everything there then do it here in brooklyn. here i think mostly anywhere else u have to pay like 6-8 times more then 170$:)

Wanda. I'm attaching a Word file that someone posted here describing coluum repair. I did not write this, I just saved it.

VBdenny,

thanks a lot for digging out the instruction. will give it a try! or I can just bring the instruction to my mechanic....

My brother in law owns a mediallion cab in NYC, but he lives in Bay Ridge. I'll try to call him and see if he knows anyone in B'klyn that works on Lexus. I know he gets all his work done on his Crown Vic cab and his other cars really cheap.

WOW

it looks like its cheaper for me to drive to altanta and do everything there then do it here in brooklyn. here i think mostly anywhere else u have to pay like 6-8 times more then 170$:)

yep, it turns out I got the whole timing belt business taken care of rather cheap! I recalled dealer wants $1200 for the TB job, and I got it done for under $600 including new thermalstat and cam shaft stuffs while they were all apart.

better yet, he charges me only $100 labor to convert two rear airbag struts (one leaks air and sinking on me!) to a nice pair of hydraulic struts. that's easily a 3~4-hours job (removing back seats was pins in the butts).

in fact, he is going to be busy to get the same TB thing done on my SC400 and ES300 so I can have peace in mind for all of them.

Wanda. I'm attaching a Word file that someone posted here describing coluum repair. I did not write this, I just saved it.

well... i did take care of the jammed motor for steering column.

1. take off the box-like cover behind steering wheel by removing two screws at bottom. top/bottom half are sort of 'snap on' type which can be easily removed with the column telescoping all the way out.

2. unscrew 3 screws with driver door open, then the small side panel for the motor itself can be removed to expose the plastic gear which controls the column up and down

3. the gear in there is somewhat worn and loose after years of use, but by pressing it inward with a flat-head screw driver, I was able to make it turned by adjusting the 4-directional button. this techniqe does alow the column to go down to my desired height.

4. reverse 1 & 2 to put all covers back on

although it still won't go up-down by pushing the button, but at least it is now at the right height to me.

at some point I will change out the gear which is not sold standalone at dealer. I guess the only hope is to find it in junk yard! dealer does sell the whole mortor for $524 + labor

I had the same problem and used the instructions provided above. However, instead of pushing the gear in, pull it all the way out. Behind the gear is a washer that is probably fallen apart. I went to Home depot and bought three 1/2" nylon washers, put them in, slid the gear back on, everything works perfectly. Total time to repair: 1.5 hrs (including the drive to HD). Total Cost: $0.87.