Getting A New Used Gx470

djspawn00

Due to the recent destruction of my 97 ford explorer and the slow death of my 99 chevy blazer I'm in the market for an SUV. I'm ready for an upgrade and I love my gs300 so I figure I'll go lexus once again. I'm in the market for a GX470 but before I go out and buy one I'd just like to know if there is anything I need to look out for? Consumer Reports had "drive system" as a trouble spot for the GX but on the 4runner its listed as above average. Is this a trouble spot and if so, what are the details? An 03' would probably be best for my budget. Thanks in advance guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the 03 had a few issues, but all can be addressed. The 03s had the clunk issued that has been mentioned numerous times, vibration in the steering wheel, sulfur smell from the a/c. Otherwise, it's a good vehicle and you shouldn't have much problems with this model. Just search around this forum and you'll be able to see the problems discussed here before..

And the 4Runner has the same problem as the GX (V8 4wd 4Runners) ;)

Dens is 100% correct, the V8 4Runner has the clunk issue as well. Mine does, but is managable with lubrication of the drive shaft about every 20k miles.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

You'll see the last post in that thread is me. It took me all of 45 minutes with the Mobile 1 grease and a hand grease gun to eliminate it. The problem is the slider yolk sleeve on the rear drive shaft. It dries out and sticks, which makes it clunk in and out of position. The GX has a tsb that replaces the driveshaft, rear control arms and I think the differential mounts. But honestly, I'm more than happy with the greasing approach.

I have a very fast vibration felt in the gas peddle and steering wheel under moderate acleration while in 5th gear, around 1500 rpm. The 4.7 V8 isn't as smooth as the other Toyota engines because it doesn't have that egr system. It has base openings for exhaust, which gives the engine a more throaty rumble. It's not that bad, but coming from a gs or ls, you'll notice it. Just remember it's a SUV truck, and it's all good.

The one thing I really love about the 4Runner over the GX is the cost of parts, and especially the ability to buy just the bushings for the control arms, instead of the entire arm. The cost savings is tremendous! You get the same engine, and several of the same parts and components, for WAY LESS money!

If I had one gripe though about the two is the permenant awd. I would much prefer a rwd set up with the ability to turn on and off the 4x4 as desired. The awd system sometimes give it a "tank" feel. I'd also be somewhat cautious of the factory tow package. Mine has this, and I've noticed it rides a bit stiffer in the back because of it. I think I can tow like 7,000 pounds, and I can tell from riding in others that dont' have that package, that my rear suspension is stiffer to allow the truck to hold that weight. I'd prefer a softer ride, but, I'm also coming from the ultimate soft ride of a LS400, so everything rides hard to me.