Spedometer Not Working..reading Or Changing Miles

kbridge

I have a 1998 Lexus gs400..I had the rear brakes done, caliper and bolster..However, the spedometer is not moving, working or changing miles..Can anyone tell me what is the problem. It was working before

Email me at kouterbridge@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...
I have a 1998 Lexus gs400..I had the rear brakes done, caliper and bolster..However, the spedometer is not moving, working or changing miles..Can anyone tell me what is the problem. It was working before

Email me at kouterbridge@hotmail.com

I realize I might be too late, but I had the same thing just "mysteriously" happen. I'm driving down the road at a steady speed, the speedometer goes to 0. Then to 120. Then down to 0. Then 60, 80, 40, 120. . . and 0.

I'm thinking, "Oh no."

So I read about beating on the dashboard and I look at every post I can find about the instrument cluster problems. . .

Eventually I get the diagnostic code. I take the car to the dealership. They confirm that it is. . . now get this. . . a transmission speed sensor causing the problem. I'm having a little problem with rough shifting. I tell the dealer to "just replace them both." At the same time we do the 90k mile service (timing belt) and find a leaky water pump. . . and they want to do a complete transmission service, and. . . by the time I leave the dealership I was about $1,700 down by the bow (my aft being $1,700 lighter).

The speedometer worked **almost** until I got home.

$430 later I have a new speedometer sensor (the dealer was happy to do that for me) and everything seems to be okay (knock wood).

BUT - I still have a little rough shifting. If it were anything but an LS400 from the early 90s ('92) I'd think the transmission was okay, but it isn't shifting as well as either of my 1991 ES250s were when we traded them at over 140,000 miles each.

My point? If I'd just *started* with the speedometer sensor, the most obvious place to start, and ignored all the "noise" OR I had just taken it to the dealer in the first place and said, "The speedometer isn't working, can you tell me why?" I think I'd have gotten out at least a few hundred cheaper.

Sometimes paying a dealer too much is cheaper than trying not-to.

Bret