Just Bought New Is350 Obsidian - Questions

Hi All,

I just bought my first new car yesterday, a 2007 IS350 Obsidian with Nav and X Package.

The dealer was trying to sell me the Perma Plate package for $1295 and would throw in the Tires for Life Reward program. I would have to do all my oil changes at a Lexus Dealership though in order to keep the Tires for Life. My current tires are the Bridgestone Turanza ER33 and just replacing one set would cost me over $800 on tirerack.com. So is it worth it?

Also, they didn't try sell me a clear bra but I was thinking about getting one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Lastly, what are things that you would recommend me doing besides from what I already mentioned?

Thank you so much everyone!!!!

As of now, all I can read is that I have to do all my scheduled required maintenance at any Lexus dealership. For the first 30,000 miles, all I can find are oil changes in the book. The service manager told me I could negotiate on what they charge me on oil changes.

well to me that's a invite for driving like a psychopath...... not having to pay for tires = mucho sidewaysness... plus it'll be an incentive to keep up with the maintance.... so you don't lose your tires....

Perhaps I am a psychopatic driver :blushing: but, after I had to replace the high profile tires for my Infiniti after less than 20,000 miles and couldn't affort at the time the $350 a piece set. We settled for less expensive tires and the car didn't perform as well. I was not a happy camper for a long time; the tires make a great differce and they wear out fast (mine anyways :whistles: ) So, we definately got the "tires for life" package and it will be worth it, provided we keep the car for at least 5 years. Getting new tires once every year and 1/2 was an offer/price we couldn't resist.

USCjd,

How long do you plan on keeping this car? Is a a short-term (leased) vehicle or do you care about long-term care and resale? If short-term, don't opt for any service packages or the clear bra. In my opinion, this would be a waste of money. If long-term, I would strongly consider the clear bra. The front end is prone to chipping caused by stones, rocks or other items found on the roads. I had the 3M film installed before taking delivery and 9 months later there is not one chip or scratch where the film has been applied.

I don't know much about the service program that your dealer is offering. Just be sure to look at the fine print.

Regards,

NHman

Thank you everyone who replied. I'm going to skip the tire package and perma paint as they want me to do all my oil changes at Westminster Lexus and not at any Lexus dealership. This won't be feasible as I'm moving to the Bay Area.

I am going to go get my clear bra tomorrow at Aerotect tomorrow.

Hi there USCjd,

yes, unfortunately it comes in a bundle and yes, I have to drive from LA all the way to Newport Beach (about 45 miles), but to me it's worth it because I have to keep this car until it falls to pieces; also, 2 sets of tires (I'm sure I'll need in the next 4 years or less) will pay for the package and more.

In any case, you'll be so pleased with the car nothing else will matter, as you glide smoothly and luxuriously in your beautiful car :D

Hi,

I just bought an IS250 with the Luxury Package and bought the body kit and rear truck spoiler separately. The dealer (Stevens Creek in San Jose - awesome place by the way) also offered the perma plate but at $995. Some body shops will do perma plate for 500 to 600 bucks. I'm going with the 3M clear armor kit myself for $495 that will help protect against rock chips better than the perma plate can.

As for the tires, that sounds like a great deal. I wasn't offered the tires plan along with it. Either way, I plan to drive much slower these days so my tires won't be as worn out.

My other car was a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII which I modded to 360HP. I'm done with my speed days with supersoft tires. I had to change my tires every 6000 to 7000 miles because I drove really agressively.

If you drive agressively, its a great deal then.

Hope this helps.

-Jayem

Hi All,

I just bought my first new car yesterday, a 2007 IS350 Obsidian with Nav and X Package.

The dealer was trying to sell me the Perma Plate package for $1295 and would throw in the Tires for Life Reward program. I would have to do all my oil changes at a Lexus Dealership though in order to keep the Tires for Life. My current tires are the Bridgestone Turanza ER33 and just replacing one set would cost me over $800 on tirerack.com. So is it worth it?

Also, they didn't try sell me a clear bra but I was thinking about getting one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Lastly, what are things that you would recommend me doing besides from what I already mentioned?

Thank you so much everyone!!!!

The thing with the tire package to think about-

They'll still charge you for mounting and balancing

They'll charge you for the required-with-them maintenance.

Now, you can do your own oil change for 20 bucks. Or you can pay $150 to them for one. That's pretty much a free tire per oil change (when you count the markup they'll do on mount/balance compared to a non-dealer).

You have to change the oil every 5k by the book.... so that's 5 (that you pay for) in the first 30k. Plus the other maint they might hit you up for ($150 to change your cabin filter or other crazy overcharges for stuff you can do for 90% less).

I guess my point it, if they weren't making money on offering the package, they probably wouldn't offer it.